The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 5, 2017, 08:46 PM   #176
ShootistPRS

I would like to see any statistical evidence of "the one shot stop" and how often the bad guy leaves the home before a shot is fired. The stuff I read tells me that more often than not the perp leaves when confronted.Yes there are lots of stories about the three thugs breaking in and multiple shots are fired or exchanged but it is much more common for the home owner to be left with all his firepower unused.
Most of the time there is no need to shoot at all. Does this mean that I want a gun with less ammo? NO, but I am not wearing a five shot snub nose around my home either.
Old February 6, 2017, 05:19 PM   #177
Stephanie B

Man o man, there is so much carping going on about Colt's new Cobra that one would think that we were on Cannery Row.

Don't like the new gun? Then don't buy one.
Old February 8, 2017, 08:30 PM   #178
KyJim

Quote:
If the trigger is better than the one in the j-frames, no. Also, people with just a bit of statistical knowledge who understand the low likelihood of a one shot stop realize that "that all important sixth shot" provides much more than a twenty percent improvement.
I think the J-frame's trigger is pretty bad. I have three but only carry my Model 38 Bodyguard because it has such a small grip and I can easily conceal it in a pocket. When I carry using a belt holster, it's my Colt Agent, a first cousin to the old-style Cobra.
Old February 9, 2017, 04:13 PM   #179
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I don't remember how many samples of the new Cobra Colt had on display at the SHOT Show. Suffice it to say, "a lot." And I dry fired most of them. I concede that I'm not basically a "revolver guy," but I do own a Colt Detective Special, an Armscor M200 and an M206, and a couple of Tauri. So I'm not a complete stranger to revolver triggers. My estimation is that the new Cobra trigger has essentially zero stacking, and the DA pull is both smooth and comparatively light for a DA revolver. What was more impressive to me was that, for however many I tried, they all felt the same. Which tells me that quality control is probably fairly decent.

Standing around the booth waiting to talk to the Colt people I know, I overheard a lot of favorable comments on the trigger, and NO unfavorable comments.
Old February 10, 2017, 07:33 PM   #180
hot sauce

They still need to make a revolver that has a vented barrel, stainless steel, and .357 magnum. I wonder what that is? Hmmm.....
Old February 11, 2017, 11:08 AM   #181
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot sauce View Post
They still need to make a revolver that has a vented barrel, stainless steel, and .357 magnum. I wonder what that is? Hmmm.....
According to the market, a waste of time. If the demand for a vent-rib gun was so great, S&W and Ruger would be making it already.
Old February 11, 2017, 12:03 PM   #182
OldMarksman
Staff

This is just me, but it was the vented rib that urned me off on the python years ago.