The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 11, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1
mkc533

In a pile of dodo

I borrowed a friends Winchester Model 101 28 ga S/N 2399XX to shoot some clays. I ran two boxes of 2 3/4 inch 3/4 oz #9 and had no problem with the functioning of the gun. When I went to clean it I discovered a hair line crack on the right side of the fore - end stock. The crack extends about 6 inches down the fore-end. Questions: Is this a common problem? Can it be repaired and by whom? If a new one is necessary where can I purchase one? See attached pix. Thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 027.jpg (233.2 KB, 98 views)
Old October 11, 2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Doyle

Hairline cracks in wood stocks and forearms are not at all uncommon. They can happen due to bad handling, inherant flaws in the wood that surface years later, rapid moisture changes within the wood, etc.

If you catch them before they get too bad, they can normally be epoxied. Any good gunsmith should be able to take care of it. Since the forearm can easily be shipped without the rest of the gun, you could easily send it off to a good gunsmith even if he isn't local.
Old October 11, 2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Roughedge

Simple repair, any gunsmith can fix it .
Old October 11, 2013, 08:42 PM   #4
safarihunter

Cracks happen and a good gunsmith can make it right
Old October 11, 2013, 09:55 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, fess up if you have not done so. Even a very good craftsman will not be able to repair that foreend so as to be undetectable, at least from the inside. And if the owner finds out you concealed the damage, you would be more likely to lose a friend than if you are honest with him.

But don't beat yourself up too badly. That crack could have happened when anyone was shooting the gun and might have even been there a long time and just not noticed until now.

Good luck with having it repaired.

Jim
Old October 11, 2013, 09:59 PM   #6
DT Guy

IMHO (and I'm a fairly avid amateur luthier, rather than a gunsmith) that's not a new crack. It would be confirmed by finding dirt in the missing finish areas.

The repair would be from the rear with epoxy, perhaps a spline, and then a CA touchup on the finish (assuming it's poly-based.)

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old October 12, 2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

I agree with James K, the first thing to do is fess up, your friend may have already known the crack was there.
After telling him about the crack you can then offer to have it fixed, but I would have him choose the person to fix it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huintercustoms.com