The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 4, 2011, 11:57 PM   #1
CLC

what would you do moment

So this might be silly but what would you guys do?
I live in an apartment building and on the first floor (the only entrance/exit) one of the apartments door was open all day long with nobady in sight. Like from 6am when I saw it to around 10 pm. Its not empty and the lights are on leaving me to believe someone lives there. So would you have knocked and looked to see if everything is alright or leave it alone? Im not trying to be rambo and have the BG waiting for me but I wouldnt want someone hurt and im to scared to check it out. Would having a ccw change your actions? Im just asking because I want to be a responsible citizen.
Old March 5, 2011, 12:08 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

Call the apartment complex management, or call the police.
Old March 5, 2011, 12:23 AM   #3
CLC

See that's what I was thinking but it's friday and we wouldn't be able to get ahold of anyone until monday.
Old March 5, 2011, 12:32 AM   #4
StrongSideArmsInc

Cops are off on the weekends were you live?
Old March 5, 2011, 12:59 AM   #5
CLC

Haha no but id hate to cause a scene/problem for someone just leaving a door open. My friend came over with his girl ( who has seizures) for a dinner date and she had a bad one and started screaming bloody murder. I was little disturbed that no one even knocked if everything was ok. What if that was my girlfriend being murdered. Just somthing I think about. Sorry again if this is a stupid post.
Old March 5, 2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Bailey Boat

The management of the property will have an emergency maintenance number available for the residents to use after office hours. Call the office number and you can get through to maintenance....
Old March 5, 2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Mobuck

This isn't the big city, but around here I would not be concerned about a badguy being there waiting for me for 16 hours. A normal response here would be to beat on the open door and listen for a response, if none, then enter as far as comfortable and do it again. There could be a person with a stroke or who has fallen and can't respond.
Old March 5, 2011, 09:30 AM   #8
kaylorinhi

Be polite but ready, yes call first, and why not be a good nieghbor?
Old March 5, 2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Buzzcook

Quote:
Haha no but id hate to cause a scene/problem for someone just leaving a door open.
Sadly, fear of embarrassment can be deadly.
Old March 6, 2011, 10:52 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

Call the cops and cut the crap.

When I was a kid, I went for a swim in an Atlantic beach with a friend. We went out too far. Well, soon my buddy was sailing off to France. Buh, bye!

He was too embarassed to yell for help. So was I. Luckily a grown-up old fat guy (like me now), saw him and whistled to the life guards. Yes, they honked horns and launched a boat. Whee!

But my friend was saved.

Nothing more need be said.

Need I close this? I think we are done.
Old March 6, 2011, 10:38 PM   #11
Crazy88Fingers

I'd probably give a knock on the door and a peek inside, just to make sure all is well. Maybe call the police afterward and see if they can spare a few moments to send someone by. I certainly wouldn't want to go too far in there and get familiar with the business end of the Castle Doctrine.
Old March 7, 2011, 12:43 AM   #12
Demosthenes

I've been an EMT for nigh on 6 years now and I can't tell you how many times I've been to calls where someone in an apartment building had a heart attack or stroke and died; when they could have lived, had the next door neighbor called 911 when they heard the yells and loud thud of the neighbor hitting the floor. We get a lot of people explaining that they didn't want to be nosy or cause any trouble for their neighbor. Most people aren't crazy recluses chopping up bodies on their kitchen table, so stuff that's out of the ordinary should warrant further investigation, if even just a knock and a "HEY IS ANYBODY HOME/ ALRIGHT?" I understand that it can wind up being awkward and embarrassing, or you could wind up in that long-shot hostage situation (hey, it could happen...) but like CLC said, I'm just being a responsible citizen.
Old March 7, 2011, 01:54 AM   #13
Slopemeno

Call 911. It's a "Check the Welfare" moment.

It might be worth getting the cell or pager number of your manager.
Old March 7, 2011, 04:37 AM   #14
TeamSinglestack

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK!!

Hello!?

Oh, sorry to disturb you. I noticed your door has been open all day. I live in apartment [X] and was concerned for your well being.

Nice to meet you, have a good night.
Old March 7, 2011, 05:41 AM   #15
TheNatureBoy

Easy. If I thought something wasn't right I would call the police and let them handle it.
Old March 7, 2011, 06:04 AM   #16
oldvet53

notify the apartment manager and if no response call the police. i'm disabled now and am not going to put myself in a position to be taken by surprise by possibly multiple BG.
Life N.R.A member, member of the American Legion, what is popular is not always right and what is right is not always popular. only 2 people ever volunteered to give their life for you Jesus Christ and the American fighting man.
Old March 7, 2011, 08:07 AM   #17
gearhounds

Call the law; that's why we make the big bucks...
Old March 8, 2011, 10:53 PM   #18
Glenn Bartley

I would definitely knock and inquire. If I got no answer, then I might call the building management or the police, but first I probably would take a look inside to see if anything was amiss.
Old March 9, 2011, 04:44 AM   #19
CLC

Well in our defense my girlfriend did check it out and I had a long shift at work and didn't know the door was still open. She knocked and looked in but chouldnt see anybody. I was just worried and told her id take a look when I got off and didn't want her going in alone. Needless to say the door was closed when i got home. I guess i was just wondering if we handled it right.
Old March 9, 2011, 05:16 AM   #20
Tinner

Your just trying to be a good neighbor. I would want my neighbors checking on me.
Old March 9, 2011, 10:41 AM   #21
pax

I know this sort of thing is usually Just Not Done in the big city, but life is safer and more pleasant if you maintain at least a passing acquaintance with your near neighbors. Doesn't hurt to introduce yourself when possible, so that you don't feel quite so awkward looking out for each other.

pax
Old March 9, 2011, 10:49 AM   #22
Ludarue

As others have said the best thing you can do is call the apartment managing office, and or then the police.
Old March 9, 2011, 11:00 AM   #23
sirsloop

Call the police and monitor the door FROM A DISTANCE, concealed, until they arrive. Call 911 if you notice suspicious activity before the police arrive. Easy peasy, you are not in any risk, and you can sleep good that night.
Old March 9, 2011, 11:29 AM   #24
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

What Pax said.

And call the police. It's their job to investigate odd circumstances. The guy going into the bank with a ski mask might only be cold. The apartment door left open might be accidental. Not for me to determine. Call the Po-Lease.
Old March 9, 2011, 04:58 PM   #25
markj

Quote:
but life is safer and more pleasant if you maintain at least a passing acquaintance with your near neighbors
I agree, when we moved in years ago, folks were neighbors came with small gifts like fresh baked bread, each introduced themselves to us and had a cup of coffee. We all watch each others places when we go away. Having a summer party and inviting them also helps us maintain the relationship.

Door is open? did you see a huge flat panel tv? just kidding....