The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 4, 2020, 08:18 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

5.56 and 22lr suppressor recommendation

Disclaimer I double checked the rules and didn't see any issues with posts about suppressors. If I'm wrong feel free to delete the post but don't hold it against me, I did check the rules area.

Ok looking for a recommendation, trying to lean. Was hoping to get a suppressor that would work for 22lr and 5.56. My understanding is you would want one that is easy to take apart to clean as the 22lr is quite dirty. I have done a little looking but finding 5.56 suppressors that come apart seems to be quite uncommon. A Multi cal that would do 9mm, 5.56 and 22lr would be amazing but im pretty sure that wont be an options as multi cals seem to be even less common. Am i looking for a unicorn or is there something out there for me that wont break the bank.

Yes i know i will need subsonic ammo for both guns if i want to be really quiet. i just want to bring the noise level down a bit to make the 22lr hearing safe, and the 5.56 managable at indoor ranges. I tried the linear comp, people still seem to pack up and leave shortly after I get there.

If there is no option to cover both i will probably go silencerco sparrow. And try to find a multi cal rated one so i can suppress 9mm and 5.56 later on, maybe tax time next year.

Thanks
Old July 15, 2020, 11:53 AM   #2
MarkA

I think any can rated for 5.56 with the 1/2-28 thread would be fine for .22LR as well. The trick is not letting the can get gunked. I've not done this myself, but it's reported that if you just make sure to run some full boat 5.56 loads through the can to get it good and hot every now and then, that in itself will burn out most of the .22LR sludge that might be in there.

Also, when I first got my sparrow, I shot a lot of whatever I could get my hands on for ammo. I've narrowed my selection down to Federal Game Shok for the pistol since it stays subsonic, and Gemtech subsonic stuff for the rifles. Surprisingly, after about 1000 rounds, the can just isn't all that dirty. Some of the other stuff I fed it gunked it up pretty quickly; 500 rounds or so.
Old July 15, 2020, 02:13 PM   #3
jpx2rk

I would get one rated for all RF, including 17HMR, etc, that way it can serve more purposes as things/desires/wants/needs change. Then get one for CF. I have a Silencerco Harvester 300 cal, which works on anything/everything I have in the CF arena, and things I don't have yet. The Harvester had a brake type front cap on it which works well on everything from 22-250 down that I have tried it on.

Yes, 2 are more $$ but all the bases are covered.
Old July 15, 2020, 02:57 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Just like a “universal holster” that doesnt fit anything WELL. A suppressor made for 223 is not going to be good at 22lr.

I shoot a lot suppressed. From 17hmr, 22lr, 223, 300blk, 308, handgun, boltgun, semi.

My advice is to get a can for your rimfire needs and another for your centerfire shooting. A rimfire can NEEDS to be able to be taken apart for cleaning.
Old July 18, 2020, 10:04 AM   #5
Double K

As far as I know you cannot shoot rimfire ammunition in any suppressor that can't be taken apart and cleaned. I'm not aware of any centerfire rated suppressors that can be taken apart and cleaned.
I clean my rimfire suppressors every 3-500 rounds and they are very dirty, what happens is they accumulate so much carbon in them it starts falling back down the barrel when the gun is held muzzle up. That has to accelerate barrel wear as well as making even a bolt hard to work, semi-auto's won't cycle period.
The "junk" sticks to the baffles during the shooting, typically the suppressor and gun are set aside for a week then shot again, if disassembled after a week the layer of junk is separating and lifting off the baffles, if shot it comes off in masse stopping the gun from functioning, I believe back pressure also forces it back in the action.
After several months of cleaning a Silencerco Spectra 2 I read about coating the internal baffles with high temp anti-seize, that makes them much easier to clean and delays the need for weekly cleanings.
For the record even though I've had suppressors for close to 10 years and own many they are all Silencerco's, that being said I try to keep up on the technology on the subject by reading and watching video's. The Silencerco Harvestor 30 and Spectra 2 are my two favorite models because of their versatility. I don't care for centerfire pistol suppressors' and would never buy another one.
Old July 18, 2020, 11:03 PM   #6
Eight_is_enough

Yes, you have to be able to disassemble it if you are going to shoot .22 LR in it. I would look at the Banish 223. I have one and it and my Banish 30 are pictured below. SilencerCo also makes a take-apart 223 can but it is much heavier than the Banish, which weighs only 9 oz.

You could get the Banish 30 and use it on a .22 LR, but it will not suppress the noise quite as well as the 223 can will, due to the larger baffle holes. But that would give you the option of shooting up to 30-cal.

Old July 19, 2020, 08:16 AM   #7
Double K

8enuf

Those Banish suppressors look great, mostly made in South Dakota, the baffles are pretty much the same as Silencerco. The dual purpose is a great idea and it would be cheaper than buying two even considering the 849. price tag.
The only negative is the weight and size, at 9oz and 1.5 diameter is pretty big and heavy for a 22lr.
I have two Warlocks{they were on sale!} that are 3.5oz and 6" long, small enough in diameter that no special tall sights are required on any gun including pistols, they typically sell for 269. on sale. A centerfire suppressor is going to cost you 700. to 900. plus an extra tax stamp so it's definitely more expensive to buy two but don't believe that your rimfire shooting will be as enjoyable as using a 22lr specific suppressor.
Old July 19, 2020, 08:53 PM   #8
Eight_is_enough

Couldn't agree more, but the OP said he was looking for one can that would do both 22LR and 5.56.
Old July 19, 2020, 09:52 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

I wouldn't do it.
I've had my TacSol Ascent .22 for a few years, now. (Rimfire only can.)
You get 300 rounds through that thing and it is so nasty, so filthy, so lead and wax-encrusted, that it's actually quite a pain to clean. But, more importantly, I've seen the size of some of the chunks that can form on the baffles.

There's no way that I'd do such a thing to a centerfire suppressor.
The last thing that I need is to have some fun with the can on a .22 LR, forget to clean it, fire a shot with the centerfire (5.56/223/whatever) that breaks some chunks loose, and then have the next round blow the thing to pieces because the bullet had an unscheduled meeting with a chunk of rimfire buildup.

Mix and match however you want for centerfire. But my experience says to go with a rimfire suppressor for rimfire.
Old July 19, 2020, 11:03 PM   #10
Double K

After you get your 22 suppressor clean coat all the internals with this, makes cleaning much easier.