The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 19, 2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Fingers McGee

Stainless Steel Colts

I am seeking information on a line of stainless steel cab & ball revolvers made by Uberti and imported by Allen Firearms, Santa Fe, NM in the early to mid '80s. Phil Spangenberger did an article about these stainless revolvers in the October 1983 issue of Guns and Ammo Magazine. According to the article, the models that were being imported were the 1851 Navy, 186o Army, 1861 Navy, 1862 Pocket Navy, and 1862 Pocket police.

So far, I have two of these revolvers and know of five others in hands of other collectors. The revolvers known to me are:

1. Uberti / Allen 1860 Army four screw model – serial number 117XXX – AL (1983) date code.

2. Uberti 1861 Navy four screw model – serial number 118XXX – AM (1984) date code. This one has the A.UBERTI&C. / ITALY frame stamp, but does not have the Allen barrel address. Additionally, although it has four frame screws and the recoil shield is cut for a detachable shoulder stock, there is no notch in the butt.

3. Uberti / Allen 1862 Pocket Navy – serial number 119XXX – AM (1984) date code.

4. Uberti / Allen 1861 Navy four screw model cut for shoulder stock but no notch in backstrap.

5. Uberti / Allen 1851 Navy in a “Sheriff Model” configuration (5 inch barrel).

6. Uberti / Allen 1860 Army four screw model - serial number 121XXX - AN (1985) date code.

7. Uberti / Allen 1851 Navy with standard barrel length - serial number 117XXX - AL (1983) date code.

From the serial number range of examples identified so far, it would appear that somewhere in the neighborhood of 4,000 of these revolvers could have been produced.

Anyone with information concerning Allen Firearms/Uberti Stainless Steel Colt style revolvers is requested to contact [email protected]. I am seeking information as to models, manufacture dates, and serial numbers as well as packaging, catalogs, brochures, etc..

Of course, if anyone has any for sale, I would be interested in that also.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; February 22, 2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old February 20, 2010, 08:21 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

Ken, have you contacted Jim Davis? I can PM you his #.
Old February 20, 2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Fingers McGee

Steve,

Jim and I have discussed this before & I sent him a PM on another forum

Ken
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; February 22, 2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old February 22, 2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Anyone??

FM
Old March 4, 2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Mike Faires

You might try to contact Mike Harvey, owner of Cimarron Firearms. When Allen went under Mike bought out their stock of guns and parts. He may info or records on how many were produced. Also it is my understanding that VMI is the old Uberti USA which was owned by Maria Uberti, they may have some records.
Good Luck
Old March 9, 2010, 01:01 AM   #6
Fingers McGee

Thanks Mike. I've already gotten email response from Cimarron, and havent heard back from an inquiry to Uberti. Thanks for the possible VTI connection. What I'm most interested in is finding other owners of Allen SS Colts.

FM
Old March 22, 2010, 06:32 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

Still looking for info and anyone that has one of these SS Colts. Have found an 8th one on GB - 1860 Army made in 1983; but seller is wanting way too much for it.

FM
Old March 22, 2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Trapdoor Doc

Stainless Allen Firearms

I just picked up a stainless Allen Firearms 1862 Police over the weekend in Santa Fe, unfired condition and beautifully made. Does anyone have a clue how many of the Allens were made?

Doc
Old March 22, 2010, 10:49 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Doc, Could you email me the serial number, date code and a picture or two. I'm trying to set up a data base of these guns. From the serial number range I have so far, it appears that a total of around 5000 model could have been made. That would be around 1000 of each model.

I'm always interested acquiring any that show up for sale.

[email protected]
Old March 23, 2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Trapdoor Doc

Allen Stainless Uberti's

The serial number is 116XXX. Where is the date code located?

By the way, I think you are way too high on your estimate of the number of these made. I grew up in New Mexico and have lived all over the US, having collected percussion revolvers all of those years---and I have only seen a very few of these ever available for sale. And this does not count the thousands of on-line auctions I've monitored. Looking at your serial number estimate thus far, I would suspect that Uberti reserved a thousand serial numbers for each model, but never produced that many.

Doc
Old March 23, 2010, 10:26 AM   #11
Fingers McGee

Doc, date code is 2 letters in a box on the right side of the frame. from your SN, it is probably AL meaning a 1983 mfg date.

I said "could have been made" based on SN range. I agree that there may not have been that many made. All the years that I've monitored the auction sites and collected C&B, these are the only ones I've found out about ......so far. Yours makes the number 9 now. Have a long way to go. I've written Uberti for info; but have not received any reply yet. Will keep looking.

Fingers
Old March 23, 2010, 05:29 PM   #12
Frontier

Have you tried Dennis Adler?

Frontier
Old March 24, 2010, 11:15 AM   #13
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier
Have you tried Dennis Adler?
As a matter of fact, I haven't. You got his contact info?
Old March 24, 2010, 02:42 PM   #14
Frontier

Not direct but if you contact Steve Fjestad at Blue Book Publications I'm sure he can put you in touch.

952-854-5229
[email protected]

Doesn't Dennis Adler write for one of your shooting magazines?

Frontier
Old March 25, 2010, 11:02 PM   #15
Trapdoor Doc

Allen Stainless Ubertis

Fingers,
The date code is AL, so you were right. I'll follow your research with interest.

Cheers,
Doc