The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 2, 2009, 03:22 PM   #26
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
Sig is my personal choice but since you have ruled out Sigs I would probably go with the HK P30.
The HK you posted almost looks just like a Sig (both being German and all) except a different grip...I don't see a decock lever though
Old July 2, 2009, 03:24 PM   #27
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
Taurus 92/99/100/101
I don't know about that one...I already made one Taurus mistake don't feel like making another
Old July 2, 2009, 03:29 PM   #28
hoytinak

I've owned many different DA/SA (Sig,Ruger, HK,Beretta) and my favorite is my HK USP compact. Plus I like that if I wanted to, I can keep it cocked and locked in SA mode and put it on safe like the 1911's. But mostly I don't even use the safety on it and just decock it and leave the safety off like a regular DA/SA.
Old July 2, 2009, 04:29 PM   #29
greyson97

the SA pull of the PX4 is very similar to the Trigger pull of the 92. It has about half an inch of slack, and then the break. the trigger moves back to the back 3/4 of the trigger well. I dont consider it a very long distance. It is not a hair trigger, nor is the trigger just millimeters from the grip. I'm not a shooting pro, but I don't find my gun difficult to use. Infact its so light and clean, I find myself shooting faster than i should cause the trigger pull is so easy and the recoil so light
Old July 2, 2009, 04:43 PM   #30
rsxr22

Trust me the HK P30 does not look like the Sig. One of the most important things when purchasing a gun, is that it must feel good in the hand. The P30 is arguably one of, if not, the most all around ergonomic pistol made. Besides the amazingly comfortable grip, it comes with 2 backstraps to adjust for handsize. It incorporates an ambidextorous slide stop and magazine release. The gun is made to fit anyone and everyone. They are not as bulky on top as a Sig. My biggest gripe of my 229 is the placement of the slide stop lever. IT always gets covered by my shooting grip and the slide never comes to slide lock which really bugs me....
Old July 2, 2009, 05:14 PM   #31
txstang84

Quote:
I don't know about that one...I already made one Taurus mistake don't feel like making another
Fair enough-I'll make a mental note not to pester you about Taurus firearms-I've seen your...we'll call it disdain for them, should've realized you wouldn't want another-my bad dude

...on a related note though, one day I might ask if you want to sell your PT145 ...if I ever build my funds back up after the home A/C taking a dump
Old July 2, 2009, 06:53 PM   #32
Willie Lowman

H&K USP.
Old July 2, 2009, 06:54 PM   #33
DennisE

SIG 229 SAS Gen2 or SIG 239 SAS Gen2...which ever fits your hand best! Dennis
Old July 2, 2009, 07:02 PM   #34
natpro7420

I know you disliked the polymer sig but I'm not a polymer guy period.
+1 for the sig220, I recently was able to borrow Dad's and I must say I didn't think .45acp could have such pleasant recoil. I'm still a big fan of 1911's but I must say I pleasantly surprised, the accuracy is quite impressive also.
Old July 2, 2009, 09:18 PM   #35
priler

i am actually considering getting a px4 as my next piece for very specific reasons that i won't get into here,however,because you specifically mentioned your wants in regards to the first DA pull in a pistol i assume you don't want to modify,here's a bit of info.

even though the p99 came years ago and even though there have been several new pistols that have come out with a lighter DA pull then older TDA models(the px4 being one of those),none of them can match the p99AS.

the reason for this is very,very specific and has to do with it being striker fired,however,it still does everything a TDA pistol is supposed to do.in fact,it is the only striker fired that is also TDA(except it's clones).others may claim that others will do the same,but they don't,including re-cocking without having to eject an unfired round.

the information given at the waltheramerica site that specifically says the DA pull is 11lbs and SA is 5lbs...is simply wrong.the truth is,right out of the box,the DA will be a hair under 9lbs and SA a hair under 4.5lbs and after a few hundred round will smooth out really nicely.the reset is also wicked for the inexperienced so watch yourself,but no big deal for those that have shot the better SA pistols all there life.(sort of close to 1911,but not quite)(a 1911 coneseur will not be happy with anything but a 1911)

so basically what your getting,as far as the trigger on the walther p99AS,is the equivalent of having gotten something with a much heavier pull,then installed a lighter main spring and possibly done a trigger job,depending what you compare it to,without having lightened the strike on the primers.(reliability)

i'm sure someone will come along to dispute this.

for reference,other pistols that have come along and are still relatively new that all have about a 10lb DA pull and about a 4.5 SA pull are the beretta px4 type f/g and fnh fnp.the taurus 24/7 pro ,although not new,also has a pull weight like the numbers i gave above for the p99AS(24/7 pro also striker fired)but it is not a TDA and there is alot of permanent slack in SA(not a problem i supposed if you just take it up and don't mind).the new beretta 90-two also fits here.

also,pretty much all of the sigs have always had sweet TDA pulls that are smooth at about 10lbs/4.5lbs with quick resets.(including the sp2022)

keep in mind that the manufactures will try to stay within certain specified weights(built into design and production) and these may vary from gun to gun or even lot to lot,however,CNC production has helped in hitting the mark.

of course,you can always do mods to just about any gun and get lighter and smoother pulls.

most of the older designs out there that have been around a long time or that the manufacturers persist in certain designs will have trigger pulls in the range of 11-13 for DA and 5-7lbs for SA......commie guns are usually alot worst.

all of my reference here is specifically for TDA guns.
Old July 2, 2009, 09:33 PM   #36
sophijo

SA/DA

....old style (stamped slide) Sig P220
Old July 2, 2009, 09:37 PM   #37
David the Gnome

The Walther P99 definitely has the best striker-fired trigger you're going to get. It also has a pretty low bore axis compared to the SIG. If an exposed hammer isn't a necessity to you the P99 would be an excellent choice. Just make sure it's the AS model and I think we may have found a winner (even has a decocker!).

Old July 2, 2009, 09:46 PM   #38
Dobe

The HK P30 is my choice for a polymer CCW in 9mm. The ergonomics are great and adjustable. The single action is good. The double action takes a little getting use to. It stacks, but it is smooth. With a little practice, you can master it.

I believe HK is one of the better handguns on the market. One would think that they could make a DA pull that didn't stack so much. I suppose they believe those with a problem with their DA's will simple convert to a LEM.
Old July 2, 2009, 10:48 PM   #39
Smoke Screen

I'm going to say +1 for the Beretta......I love my PX4 G Series.
Old July 2, 2009, 11:47 PM   #40
rsxr22

the p99AS is a GREAT choice as well. I do not own one, but would like too. I do own a P30 and if i had to do it again im really not sure which one i'd go with.... Probably still the P30 because i love the controls of the gun, but the p99AS comes in a very close second
Old July 3, 2009, 04:38 AM   #41
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
one day I might ask if you want to sell your PT145
and i'd sell it in a heartbeat even though its only 5 months old and out of those 5 months it sat at Taurus in repair for 2 months and a week and that's after 2 weeks of ownership LOL...so yea it's a slight disdain

Quote:
If an exposed hammer isn't a necessity to you the P99 would be an excellent choice.
Actually I really like the exposed hammer...the P99 I've looked at before just in a case though. It has an intriguing shape to it...my brain hasn't made up its mind yet whether or not to like it or hate it..."funky" is the first word that comes to mind when I look at it
Old July 3, 2009, 04:40 AM   #42
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
I'm going to say +1 for the Beretta......I love my PX4 G Series.
I really likey!!!...can't wait to find out how it feels to hold and shoot
Old July 3, 2009, 03:07 PM   #43
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
The Walther P99 definitely has the best striker-fired trigger you're going to get. - Just make sure it's the AS model and I think we may have found a winner (even has a decocker!).
Just did a little reading...the trigger system is VERY interesting on the P99...I think I'm going to have to give this b*tch a whirl @ the range...Thanks
Old July 3, 2009, 03:28 PM   #44
2cooltoolz

Quote:
had the opportunity to fire a Sig Pro SP2022
LOVED the option to decock
..BUT HATE THE SIG...
Wrong SIG

Old July 3, 2009, 03:30 PM   #45
Boats

I've fired a few DA/SAs in my time, Beretta 92, Beretta 8045, Beretta PX-4, CZ-75, CZ-85, EAA Witness, HK USP45c, Para-Ord LDA, SIG P226, SIG P220, SW 1066, and a Ruger auto or two, and the best of the breed in my experience in the Beretta PX-4 with a "D" spring installed. The trigger pretravel that is apparent in some DA/SA designs on the DA stroke is not present on the PX-4 and the 6 or so millimeters of pretravel on the SA stroke leads to a repeatable clean break of the trigger that doesn't stage or stack and has next to no overtravel. Having the mainspring in from the DAO model drops the DA trigger pull weight by a couple of pounds without compromising reliability. It takes about 90 seconds to change it.

They really did their homework on this model. It is the most shootable DA/SA pistol I have ever owned. Too bad it was about a decade late to the polymer duty pistol race or it'd be far more popular than it is today.
Old July 3, 2009, 04:48 PM   #46
Creature

Quote:
Wrong SIG
+1.

Sig P226.
Old July 3, 2009, 05:54 PM   #47
Homerboy

Never heard ANYONE say the Beretta 92 is ugly. Then again, I'm sure there are people who think the Heidi Klum is ugly, too. Obviosuly a minority, but I guess they DO exist.

The Beretta can be had in the Centurion configuration. If you look hard enough, you can find them like new in box. The other advantage the Beretta has is you can spend $5 on a "D" hammer spring. it's the hammer spring they use in their DAO models. Lightenes the DA pull considerably. As for the PX4, I had one. it's a good gun, but if you think the PX4 is attractive and the 92 is ugly, then you are definetely in the minority. The PX4 doesn't even come close to the fit, finish, or feel of a 92. RAck a 92, and it feels like it's rolling on ball bearings. The PX4 "clunks" just like every other polymer gun. I sold my PX4 for another 92 (my 3rd) PX4 sales are not doing well.

If you want a TDA pistol, get yourself a 3rd generation S&W auto. 3913 in single stack. 6906 in double stack compact (12 rounds), or 5906 in full size.
Old July 3, 2009, 06:07 PM   #48
Boats

Quote:
I sold my PX4 for another 92 (my 3rd) PX4 sales are not doing well.
BZZZZZT! Sorry, wrong answer. PX-4 shipments are up 245% year over year as of May '09 despite the economy. I credit the Firearms Salesman of the Year, one B. H. Obama and the fact that fear uncertainty and dread regarding their rotating barrel seems to be less prevalent over time.

https://www.berettausa.com/e2wShoppi...084:3100001619

BERETTA ANNOUNCES 1ST QUARTER RESULTS

ACCOKEEK, MD (May 12, 2009) — Beretta U.S.A. Corp. today announced outstanding 1st quarter results. “We are extremely pleased by our commercial pistol market sales”, said Gary Ramey, Vice President of Sales & Marketing, “First quarter sales are up 66% compared to last year. All of our pistol families are performing very well, and we are trying to keep up with the increasing market demand”.

US production of the venerable 92FS is sold out for the year and Beretta USA has begun importing 92FS pistols from its sister company in Italy to support its sales effort. Px4 Storm series pistols, and their optional extended magazines (up to 20 rounds in 9mm), continue to be extremely popular. “Px4 pistol shipments are up 245% compared to last year”, said Gabriele de Plano, Vice President of Tactical Marketing, “and we are still receiving orders”.
Old July 3, 2009, 06:08 PM   #49
priler

boats,your conclusion on the px4 with the d-spring mirrors mine....excellent choice and a highly underrated piece.the fact that it's also a soft shooter and has a unique barrel/lock-up is what promted me to originally take a close look at it.

if i wasn't corrently finnishing off an entire room(including expensive electronic gadgets)i would probably have two by now.

i also love that you can inexpensively buy the adaptors and convert mags to 20 rounders.

they will come.
Old July 3, 2009, 06:09 PM   #50
lechiffre

the best da/sa 9mm

the walther p88 compact

do the interns get glocks ?

Tags
da/sa