The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2002, 01:06 PM   #1
sjones

remington sp shells?

I am new at shot shell reloading anmd have a million questions. I have been reloading 12 gauge using:winAA hulls,waa12 wad,win209 primers,7 1/2 shot,clays at 18.5 grains,or green dot at 20.5 grains.loading 1 1/8 oz.After I load the powder,it looks like there are too many shot in there to close the crimp.It tens to buckle the hull a little. I have my wad pressure set at 55 pounds. Someone tod me I could use a rem figure 8 wad instead and have a little more room or go to a rem sp hull. Can I do this safely? thanks. sj
Old December 1, 2002, 01:44 PM   #2
HSMITH

The loads you list are safe in the SP hull with either the Fig8 or the WAA wads, the Fig8 will drop pressures and velocity slightly, The rem RXP wad is another that will gain you some room in the hull.

Look up the alliant and hodgdon websites, both have loading data available for you and take away and doubts. Download or print the data, or stop by your powder retailer and get the catalogs with the data in them. You can never have too much information.
Old December 2, 2002, 10:43 AM   #3
lockandrock
Registration in progress

I just posted this earlier but I've been messing around with longshot with the remington STS hulls in my 1 1/4-1 3/8oz loads. The load data used was straight off the hodgdon website and the components where all bought locally. No buckling and nice looking crimps. You might have to readjust the cam and possible crimp seating depth but I have not had any problems.
Old December 2, 2002, 12:53 PM   #4
HSMITH

I have also been playing with Longshot, but in AA hulls. The MAX load with 1 1/4 ounce of shot is a pheasant slayer!!!! They really work well, patterns are surprisingly good for the speed.
Old December 2, 2002, 01:14 PM   #5
sjones

what kind of loads are you useing in your phesant killer?also I back off on my crimp seating and the are looking better now. I just got some rem 8 wads. I'll see how they look. Slowly but surely I am geeting all the kinks out and learning more evry day. I appreciate all the help you gentlemen are giving a beginner at this. sj
Old December 2, 2002, 03:48 PM   #6
lockandrock
Registration in progress

I don't shoot pheasant but here's my killer dove loads

1 1/4oz #7.5
win AA
31.5oz of Longshot
WAD Rem SP12

recoil is not bad and patterns very great. I think the website still list this above combo at right around 1385fps and 9.3kpsi. Should be great for doves, pheasant and quail or anything that flys.Just adjust shot size to suit you're needs.

btw: With longshot I found IC is all the choke I need and still have a pattern to drop doves a 45yrds.
Old December 2, 2002, 03:58 PM   #7
HSMITH

I am using a MAX charge of Hodgdon Longshot in a AA supersport hull, WAA12F114 wad and Winchester primers, with one and one quarter ounces of magnum #5 shot. According to my recipe book it should be 1440 FPS. I have not been able to find the Federal Pheasants Forever Magnum shotshells (1 1/4oz@1400FPS, #5 shot) so I set out to duplicate them. I have not done all of the testing yet, but initial results have been awesome. Patterns are great, and amazing for the speed really. Pheasants have been killed GYD in excess of 45 yards with a modified choke so far, with 6 pellets on one of the birds and 5 one the other, through and through penetration on ALL of the pellets too. Results so far with a full choke are that you had better wait on the shot a little while, one of the guys I hunt with made a pheasant go PUFF at about 25 yards. The impact on pheasants is a lot like 3.5" high velocity #2 steel out of a full choke, LOTS of feathers liberated and dead birds.

Keep tweaking on that press, it is fully capable of loading shells just as nicely as factories. You can get there with a little effort.
Old December 2, 2002, 04:44 PM   #8
sjones

SEE MY POST IN STRENGTH OF HULLS.NEAR DISASTER ADVERTED. sj