The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2000, 10:02 PM   #1
fyrfytrj

As some of you may know, I bought a Mossberg 590 about 2 weeks ago. I was having trouble with it, because it was not cycling correctly. The shells were not coming out of the mag tube. Evidently it was the shell interrupter, because I worked on it and now I sat in front of the TV and cycled about 300 shells through it without a single FTF. GREAT----but it is remarkably dirty. I have cleaned it four times now and the rags are still coming away black. I have nearly used an entire bottle of Hoppes #9 (a big one) in the action and the barrel. And a can of gun scrubber and carb cleaner for the barrel alone. I can get the action clean for the most part but the barrel will not clean properly. In fact, I even put a bore brush on the end of a drill and ran it through while pouring carb. cleaner down it. Still wont come clean. The barrel looks like it is pitted. And no matter what I do, the patches still come out of the barrel BLACK as night. I am not kidding, a whole bottle and then some, nearly all in the barrel. I even put a S.O.S. pad down it and scrubbed on it???? It will not get shiny and still looks dull and pitted. It was NIB and am amazed so far with the lack of quality in this supposed "top notch weapon." I have a Rem 870 and the barrrel is as bright and shiny as a mirror. I apologize for this long post but I need to emphasize this. Any suggestions of tips??? Anyone with like experiences????? thank you.
Old February 10, 2000, 01:08 AM   #2
jcoyoung

Hey fyrfytrj

I had the exact same problem! However, I gave up after about 80 patches and furious scrubbing with the bore brush. My only other shotgun is a Beretta AL390, which has a chromed bore. I guess my standards for barrel "shinyness" was way too high.

My feeling is that this is a HD shotgun, so it won't need the silky smooth bore of the Beretta (which I use for skeet). I also figured that shooting off a couple hundred shells would eventually polish out the bore.

Maybe you could run patches through with a jag and polishing compound. In fact, I just may try that myself. But that'll have to wait till I get back home to Chicago.

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side
Old February 10, 2000, 01:30 AM   #3
kem

My 590 has the same sort of filthy barrel. It too was purchased new. I don't see any pitting but it is noticably dirtier towards the muzzle. I was wondering if perhaps some of the Parkerizing solution had found its way into the barrel? I have never before been unable to produce a shiny clean bore in one of my shotguns. I have been pondering this problem for several months and was certain that it was a unique situation. I am waiting with bated breath for any suggestions.

[This message has been edited by kem (edited February 11, 2000).]
Old February 10, 2000, 07:26 AM   #4
fyrfytrj

Well, once again its nice to see that others are having the same problem as me. I too, think that maybe it is some parkerizing down in the barrel. It tends to get heavier in the muzzle and breach areas. I will just blast rounds through it like crazy and either burn the [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] out and smooth it, I guess. Thanks
Old February 10, 2000, 07:57 AM   #5
aztec777

I have two 590's and your problem seems strange. Mine are blued, I don't like parkerizing, and the barrels are beautiful. I'll have to ask a friend about his 590 that's parkerized to see if he has the same problem.

Steve
Old February 10, 2000, 12:36 PM   #6
Shok

Usually a pitted barrel means bad barrel. A pitted barrel will cause poor patterns. Dirt is the least of your concerns. The best way to fix this is to get a different barrel.

Shok
Old February 10, 2000, 04:50 PM   #7
SEAN WILLIAMS

could it be build up of plastic wad and/or lead? I only say this because once upon cleanin' my 500 I took the barrel off, looked in it, and almost had a heart attack. I thought I saw pits and cracks. So I soaked my brush, applied a little elbow grease, put a movie on and stroked that barrel like crazy. three hours and a soaked t-shirt later I had a barrel clean enough to drink out of.
Old February 10, 2000, 05:25 PM   #8
fyrfytrj

No, I cant imagine it is built up anything. I have only shot 25 shells through it. I have cycled shells through it. Probably in the neighborhood of 600 times, but only one box of shells that I actually pulled the trigger on.
Old February 11, 2000, 11:16 AM   #9
jcoyoung

Another question for all 590 owners:
Does anybody else get plastic buildup inside the barrel in the area where the sight and magazine tube "ring" are soldered on (is that the correct term?)? It appears that the method for attaching these pieces to the barrel has somehow created a "sticky" area where the plastic from the wad likes to accumulate.

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side
Old February 12, 2000, 01:50 PM   #10
Blue Jays

Hi All-

Maybe the answer is one of the "bath-type" action and barrel chemical cleaners that you often see advertised in the firearms magazines, American Rifleman, etc., etc.

Basically, you immerse the action and barrels in a chemical bath and plug-in the unit. Sound waves help to loosen really stubborn deposits and they promise a really clean firearm.

A phone call to one of the outfits who refinish firearms might be worth your time. They get firearms squeaky clean before refinishing and reassembly.

Haven't used them myself, but a search in the "Gear & Accessories" might come up with a few answers. As a perfectionist, this kind of problem would drive me completely batty!

Good luck,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old February 14, 2000, 06:25 AM   #11
johnnybravo

fyrfytrj
You sat in front of the TV and cycled 300 (I assume live rounds) through a firearm? Ooh, I cringe! Not to be disrespectful, but in the interest of safety, have you ever heard of a slam-fire? I'd hate for you to find out first hand. Loading sporting firearms should be done at the range or at least outside.

------------------
johnnyb