The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 20, 2012, 02:09 PM   #1
GI Sandv

Iron Sight Questions

Is anyone aware of a rear iron sight for an AR (i.e. picatinny mountable) that adjusts similar to this:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=639537
?

It's difficult to tell from the picture on the page, but the hole in the peep sight itself is adjustable to increase or decrease the aperture. The virtue in adjusting the diameter of the peep sight is that you can adjust it to light conditions, with a smaller diameter hole for brighter conditions and a larger diameter hole for darker conditions. Most AR sights come with two apertures, but I like this "infinitely" adjustable aspect of the older Springfield style rear peep sights.

Also, for anyone who routinely shoots with irons, what front sight posts do you prefer? I currently have the Magpul MBUS, but I'm considering swapping that out at some point.

Kahr PM9, Springfiled XD9, Browning BPS 12Ga., Browning SA-22.
Old September 20, 2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Creeper

There are several manufacturers that make micrometer adjustable, interchangeable iris, match rifle sights for ARs... they typically accept Anschutz and Gehmann accessories. Most are quite expensive, with the cheapest I've seen starting at around $180.
A good place to start is the Champions Choice sights page.

Old September 21, 2012, 11:10 AM   #3
emcon5

Quote:
It's difficult to tell from the picture on the page, but the hole in the peep sight itself is adjustable to increase or decrease the aperture.
I have one of those on a Win 94 and that is not how it works. The aperture is not adjustable, it is replaceable and available in multiple sizes. For some reason they don't list them on their web page, but they are listed in their catalog on page 14.

They are also available from other sources, there is a list here: http://www.gunaccessories.com/Willia.../Apertures.asp

Probably not what you are looking for, but I have something like this on my CMP rifle, fits a standard A2 rear sight:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...Aperture-Sight

On edit, adjustable iris sights do exist, but they are large/bulky and expensive.
Old September 21, 2012, 11:12 AM   #4
bumnote

Quote:
It's difficult to tell from the picture on the page, but the hole in the peep sight itself is adjustable to increase or decrease the aperture
The one in the link appears to be a fixed aperture, you'd have to change out the insert to change the aperture size. It may be possible that an adjustable diopter disc would work in that sight, but I'm not familiar with that sight. You'd have to contact the maker.
I recently put a Centra AR flattop rear sight and Phoenix Precision front sight on my AR. Both have the adjustable iris inserts and can allow you to shoot much more accurately than traditional peep sight...but they did cost a nice chunk of change. I could have bought a very nice scope instead, but I prefer iron sights even at long distances so for me the money was better spent on nice irons.
Old September 21, 2012, 08:58 PM   #5
saitek

adjustable appature sight

brownells sells a sight made for the standard a2 rear sight ,if you get carry handel sight that picatinny rail with the standard sight this may work for you .
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...APERTURE-SIGHT
they are made buy merit here is a good pic
http://meritcorporation.com/via.html
Old September 24, 2012, 09:18 AM   #6
GI Sandv

Saitek,

That looks about like what I'm looking for. I assume it would work on any of the A2 style sights that come independent of the A2 carrying handle. I really prefer the A3 picatinny upper. Unfortunately, I don't think I can afford to host that product as well as a scope. So, one will have to win out...for the time being. Thanks for leading me to that product, though. I'll definitely consider that for the near future.

Kahr PM9, Springfiled XD9, Browning BPS 12Ga., Browning SA-22.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:05 AM   #7
saitek

sights

no problem ,i showed that merit sdet up to my ole man .he said it was neat but they wernt making it 10 years ago when he got his 15 a2 .he just got the apture from brownells and drilled th standard sight for th thread on the apture ,i think it was 8/32 so you can bare that in mind when you get the carry handel if from a different mfg . you can get there from here !