The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 18, 2011, 01:14 AM   #1
jrsaw27

Barrel band tight or loose or gone?

I got a Ishapore .308 2A1 SMLE a while back and I just put on a no drill scope mount, (Works great by the way) and when I put it back together the synthetic stock was VERY tight, the barrel band is the only thing keeping the forend from Twanging down. I thought about bedding the barrel, dremel-ing out material, leaving out the barrel band altogether, or just leaving it alone. Any thoughts on how this would affect the accuracy? And which would you choose? Or are there any other options I should consider?
Old February 18, 2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Smokey Joe

Before you start changing things...

Jr Saw 27, it's a good idea to determine whether things actually need changing. How does the rifle shoot in its present state?

Also, I take it from your description that you're using an aftermarket stock and forend. Pictures of the problem would help us in diagnosis. Otherwise, frankly, we're just guessing.

--Smokey Joe
Old February 18, 2011, 10:40 AM   #3
tirod

Military rifles with a sling swivel attached to a barrel band will shift the point of impact when the sling is tightened. If that could be consistently controlled in pressure and direction for each shot, the sight adjustment would already be cranked in.

But, not so much. One of the first steps in accurizing a rifle is to eliminate all the external inputs that cause changes in the point of impact. For stocked military rifles, it means getting the slings deviations off the barrel. In National Match AR's a hidden free float under the handguards has the sling mounted to it.

In this case, getting the sling to attach to the stock for pressure purposes, and the barrel band to not transfer pressure is the goal. That could mean not only free floating the stock, but the band, too, so it can't touch the barrel. If it's still there.

Run of the mill military rifles have been about 2MOA for a century, it's all they need, and why barrel bands/sling swivels are attached. It's somewhat ironic we praise the accuracy of valiant soldiers, but when we use it for precision shooting, work around all the compromises to make it more accurate than combat needs.
Old February 18, 2011, 05:20 PM   #4
jrsaw27

I will try and shoot a couple groups, then take it apart and take some pics today and see what you think. the synthetic stock is for a mark 1 rifle 3 but from what i know the ishy is nearly exactly the same minus the bridge and nato chamber and added inch in the butt.

Tags
.308 , barrel band , enfield , ishapore , stock