The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 16, 2009, 10:14 AM   #1
phenson

My Colt Python has an ATF serial #

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but if not, I apologize.
I picked up a nice 97-98% blue 6" python from an individual a couple of weeks ago. I didn't look at the serial # till I got home and got curious about the manufacture date. I have determined that the serial # is one that has been assigned by the ATF when the original serial # has been destroyed on the gun. I have already called Colt. They couldn't help me because this number is not in their data base. I called the ATF hesitantly. I was passed off 7 or 8 times. I never talked to anyone who had a clue. What makes me really curious is the fact that I can see no damage on this gun where the original serial # would be. The gun is not refinished. The ATF serial number is on the frame inside where the crane swings open just like the original. I am wondering if anyone knows who I could contact who would be able to track down why this gun has this serial # instead of the original Colt number or ultimately give me some history on the gun.
Thanks,
PH
Old December 16, 2009, 08:29 PM   #2
w_houle

Could it be a 'lunch box' special?
Old December 16, 2009, 08:41 PM   #3
phenson

Interesting,
never thought about that. Long shot I think.
Old December 16, 2009, 10:51 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

That would be awesome.
Old December 16, 2009, 11:02 PM   #5
David Hineline

All manuf. make sterile guns for govment types, it could easily be one of these that a govment employee got registered, could be a sterile gun that got re-imported. Could be a re-finish that you just can't tell the difference.
Old December 16, 2009, 11:05 PM   #6
laytonj1

Why do you believe it's an ATF stamped SN? What is different about it? Just curious.

Jim
Old December 17, 2009, 12:07 AM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
phenson Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but if not, I apologize.
I picked up a nice 97-98% blue 6" python from an individual a couple of weeks ago. I didn't look at the serial # till I got home and got curious about the manufacture date. I have determined that the serial # is one that has been assigned by the ATF when the original serial # has been destroyed on the gun. I have already called Colt. They couldn't help me because this number is not in their data base. I called the ATF hesitantly. I was passed off 7 or 8 times. I never talked to anyone who had a clue. What makes me really curious is the fact that I can see no damage on this gun where the original serial # would be. The gun is not refinished. The ATF serial number is on the frame inside where the crane swings open just like the original. I am wondering if anyone knows who I could contact who would be able to track down why this gun has this serial # instead of the original Colt number or ultimately give me some history on the gun.
Thanks,
PH
You need to post pics on the Colt forum http://www.coltforum.com/forums/

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE