The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2009, 11:47 AM   #1
barry7157

Lead RN in a Glock

I would like to get some opinions about shooting lead RN bullets in a Glock .45ACP. I have heard the "official" Glock line on this and they say NO. But I have also heard that if the lead is of good quality and you clean the barrel often (which I do at the range and once I get home) you will be OK. I am loading a 230GR RN that is hard cast with #2 Lyman alloy, they are waxed, lubed and sized and have a Brinell hardness rating of 18.

Thanks...
Old July 27, 2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Farmland

No matter where you look or read you will find two schools of thoughts on this subject. The first would be to never shoot lead through a stock barrel and the other it is fine just so you clean the barrel often. That often can be 50/100 or 200 rounds.

There have been some people that have reported blown Glocks using lead bullets. There have been other people shooting thousands of lead rounds with no problems.

So should you shoot lead through a Glock barrel? I don't know pick your side of the story. Even though I own a Glock and put some rounds of lead through it I can't honesty tell you if it is safe or not safe. Everything worked and the gun didn't KB.

I did buy an aftermarket barrel just because if anything it makes me feel safer. Is it a waste of money, I don't know and clearly the best minds on the subject are not in total agreement one way or the other.

So if you do shoot lead through the barrel I would make sure you clean it after each shooting experience. How many rounds can go through prior to cleaning, I have no idea but I think a quick check of the barrel (when you are 100% sure the gun is unload) will help you decide.

NEVER EVER follow the lead with a jacketed round.

That is the best I can tell you after reading so much on this subject that my eyes are blood shot.
Old July 27, 2009, 01:13 PM   #3
tmd11111

I think if you use the search feature you will find that this question is asked about every other day.

Read through the first several hundred replys then form your own opinion.

Aw heck, just shoot it like you stole it
Old July 27, 2009, 01:25 PM   #4
barry7157

Thanks, I am new to this forum so I wasn't aware of the earlier threads. I will do some searching. I fire lead through ever other handgun I own and have been for years. This is my first Glock and also the first time I heard about any aspects of not shooting lead in a particuliar gun..
Old July 27, 2009, 01:32 PM   #5
tmd11111

In that case welcome to TFL.
Old July 27, 2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Shoney

barry7157

WELCOME TO TFL!!!

If farmland were to go to glocktalk.com and present his "theories", he would take a verbal beating, and probaboy be laughed off the forum for such heresay, or hear say on his part.

Please read this thread of a few days ago
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=368909
My post is a summation of an article about 7-8 years ago in The American Rifelman, not my theory or conjecture.

Yes, it is safe to shoot hard cast lead. In addition to checking the barrel, you need to be checking the chamber at the front, where the case headspaces, for any build up of lead.

Good shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 27, 2009, 06:33 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

my opinion?

It ain't my gun.

But I've observed numerous Glock-shooters succesfully using lead bullets for years.....I think they clean the chamber and bore.
Old July 27, 2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Farmland

Ok trying not make anything personal.

A. I haven't had my Glock long enough to give you a personal experience opinion of my gun and lead.

B. I have explained there are two points of view. Some say no problem some say there can be a problem.

C. Explained this coming from a leading seller of Glock parts & repairs.

Glockmeister.com
It is not a good idea to shoot bare lead bullets from your Glock. There are two basic reasons, the first is that the polygonal rifling in a Glock barrel really grips the bullet - this causes lead bullets to leave heavy deposits of lead when the gun is fired - heavy deposits of lead can lead to over-pressure problems - over-pressure problems can lead to nasty things like case failures. The second reason is that where the chamber meets the bore there is a sharp full edge (standard rifling does not have such a pronounced edge). This edge can shave off lead from the bullet and cause a headspace problem (the round will not fully seat) - again, this can lead to things like a case failure. Shoot plated or jacketed bullets only.

This isn't my theory you can read it by yourself.
http://glockmeister.com/faq.shtml

Now I have my own beliefs and I even corrected to wording to agree with Shoney because at first it might have come across as the gun was the problem. I simply suggested as a possibility that some of the problems might have been increased by poor reloading of lead rounds that would increase pressure. Of course as I was corrected this is or can be a problem for any gun. However it would increase the problems I would think in a barrel that would load up with lead faster than others.

Shoney states with out a doubt it is 100% safe to shoot lead out of the stock barrel. I respect his answer and positive stance on this.

I clearly state that I don't know, the information is mixed and while leading can be a problem with any gun Glock certainly has more written both pro & con on the issue.

I simply have provided a very clear objective overview of two sides to the shooting of lead through a stock Glock barrel. I am not going to say you shouldn't or should. However I feel you should review the information out there and come to your own conclusion.
Old July 27, 2009, 09:38 PM   #9
Edward429451

I shot lots of lead through my G21 and factory barrel. I would not if it had been a 9 or 40 but did with the 45 because of the vastly lower pressures that the 45 runs at with respect to the 9's and 40's. Plus I cleaned it good.

You hear people say shoot jacketed after the lead and it cleans it out but that always seemed backwards to me. I always shot my jacketed up first at the range and then shot the lead. I suspect a greater chance of elevating pressures sending jacketed down a partially leaded barrel so never did that.
Old July 28, 2009, 10:52 AM   #10
barry7157

Thanks all for the valuable information and your personal experiences. I am going to give it a "shot" and fire some lead.
Old July 28, 2009, 10:56 AM   #11
goodspeed(TPF)

Quote:
I am going to give it a "shot" and fire some lead.
Keep us posted as to how it works out.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old July 28, 2009, 12:04 PM   #12
dlb435

Glock uses a different groove patern than any other barrel maker. As long as you clean the lead out after a trip to the range, I don't see what the problem would be.
FYI - I've got a Glock and always use jacketed rounds. I just don't like the extra time it takes to clean the barrel. I'll pay a few extra cents per round to avoid the clean up.
Old July 28, 2009, 07:48 PM   #13
Shoney

AS part of my range equipment, I have a Lewis Lead Remover and a dental pic. I do a quick check my barrel and chamber after every box (50).

At 200 rounds in the field, I give the barrel a quick scrup with the LLR and in the rare instance, clean the head spacing area with the dental pick. Takes about a minute. No solvents, patches, or brushes needed til you get home.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 28, 2009, 09:42 PM   #14
PCJim

To add/expand on what Shoney said ^, you could also use some copper Chore Boy wrapped around a cleaning brush as a substitute for the Lewis Lead Remover.
Old July 28, 2009, 10:11 PM   #15
Edward429451

Quote:
I'll pay a few extra cents per round to avoid the clean up.
Dang! I'll take the extra time to clean it if I can save a few cents a round!

A few strands of copper choreboy around a brush is a dandy lead remover. Make sure a magnet wont stick to your choreboys or you got the wrong stuff and don't want to send that down your barrel!