The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: How often do you clean your brass
Every time the brass is fired 78 88.64%
Never 3 3.41%
Maybe after 2,3, or more firings 7 7.95%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 22, 2008, 02:02 PM   #1
sds

How often do you clean your brass?

I suppose this question would apply mostly to carbide die users (as dirty brass supposedly wouldn't affect these as much). I'm just starting to look at reloading and have heard various opinions so I thought I'd see what y'all think. Thanks for the input.
Old November 22, 2008, 02:27 PM   #2
zxcvbob

Semiauto brass, every time. Revolver brass I sometimes shoot 2 or 3 times before I clean it again.
Old November 22, 2008, 02:34 PM   #3
kraigwy

just because you are using carbide brass is no reason not to clean it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 22, 2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Whisper 300

Everything gets tossed into the vibratory cleaner after shooting.
I have kind of a fetish for shiny brass.

Does not take any effort to pitch it in and just a minute or two to empty out and sort whatever was in the bowl so why not?

Just my .02.

Gary
Old November 22, 2008, 03:38 PM   #5
vranasaurus

I do it every time. That way the cases are clean for me to inspect. I inspect them as I take them out of the cleaner.
Old November 22, 2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Sevens

Each different caliber that I load has it's own coffee can or plastic container for dirty brass. When it's got a supply, I tumble it. I don't tend to mix calibers because shells getting stuck inside other shells is a hassle. But yes... they come from the range to home and directly in to their "dirty" container, then cleaned. Each time. Doesn't matter if they look clean, they get run through the tumbler.
Old November 22, 2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Sevens

Quote:
carbide die users
If you take a piece of dirty brass and run it through a carbide die, it smashes and mashes that dirt in to a fine dirt colored polish on the case. Now your brass looks truly awful AND is dirty, too. Does it hurt anything... the die or the chamber? I doubt it. But it looks like hell, no doubt.
Old November 22, 2008, 04:30 PM   #8
hanno

Everytime - no real problem to do so and I prefer shiney brass.

If I have a lousy shooting day, at least my reloads were "purty."
Old November 22, 2008, 06:33 PM   #9
rn22723

Even a bad day shooting is a better then being at work.
Old November 22, 2008, 08:39 PM   #10
rwilson452

Guess I must clarify my every time answer. it's every time for my rifle stuff it's never for my pistol stuff ( .45ACP)
Old November 22, 2008, 09:12 PM   #11
That'll Do

I clean my brass after every firing, even if they're not dirty.

I take pride in my reloading, and I want a good looking product.
Old November 23, 2008, 12:28 PM   #12
sds

Thanks for all the replies. I totally understand wanting the brass to look nice, but my thinking to start with is that I can deal with a grungy look as long as it will function. Since I will be reloading for a revolver, I don't anticipate issues with chambering...maybe down the road I'll invest in a tumbler but to start with I think I'll try the dirty stuff and see how it goes. Thanks again
Old November 23, 2008, 03:06 PM   #13
zxcvbob

Quote:
Since I will be reloading for a revolver, I don't anticipate issues with chambering...maybe down the road I'll invest in a tumbler but to start with I think I'll try the dirty stuff and see how it goes. Thanks again
A revolver doesn't throw your cases in the dirt. If you're using carbide dies (of course you are using carbide) just wipe the dirt off the cases the first time, and go for it. They won't look as pretty as if you polished them, and you'll have to inspect them a little closer for cracks and splits because the defects won't stand out as much.

Once you do have a tumbler, you'll probably use it most of the time whether you need to or not just because the cartridges look so much better.
Old November 23, 2008, 03:21 PM   #14
Dr. Strangelove

Code:
but to start with I think I'll try the dirty stuff and see how it goes. Thanks again
That's usually the most fun...

I just purchased a tumbler after 20+ years of loading, so I voted 100% of the time. I tumble all kinds of things just because it's a new toy! It sure does make the cases pretty, but I never had any problems when I didn't clean them. I tumble it all now, because it's easy and there's no reason to not. That being said, a tumbler is one of things that can wait. If it's a budget issue, spend the money on something else.
Old November 23, 2008, 08:10 PM   #15
cgaengineer

You dont need a tumbler to get clean brass....buy some of the Birchwood Casey case cleaner and wash them with water...they wont be polished, but they will be dirt free and have a nice shine to them.

You can also get a cheap Frankfort Arsenal tumbler for about $35-$40 and corn cob or walnut media from Pet Smart. Toss in some Nu Finish car polish and you will have shiny brass.
Old November 24, 2008, 09:49 AM   #16
Cloudpeak

Tumble = happy sizing dies, happy chamber and much easier to check the case for flaws.

Cloudpeak
Old November 24, 2008, 09:53 AM   #17
WSM MAGNUM

After every firing. I dump them all in the tumbler right when I get home and unpack my gear. And then start cleaning the guns.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old November 24, 2008, 12:19 PM   #18
WESHOOT2

facts

1) It is easier to inspect clean cases.

2) Dirty cases can ruin dies.

3) Dirty cases can embed dirt in dies that ruins other cases.

4) Dirty cases may not grip the chamber wall fully.

I would not consider for one second using dirty cases; at a minimum I would wipe them off (but since I have two cleaners, I find it more time-productive to use them).
Old November 24, 2008, 05:52 PM   #19
BigJimP

I use Carbide dies exclusively - but the biggest reason I clean the brass every time is so I can inspect them. Its really hard to inspect dirty brass.

Even revolvers - I still clean the brass every time / it just cycles thru the vibrating cleaner for 8 hours or so ( not like you have to watch it run ).