The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2006, 08:12 PM   #1
kenneth owens

which powder?

which one of these powders would be best for 6mm ppc? benchmark or n133
if you had to choose which one would you pick?my bullet weight is 70grs.
Old October 27, 2006, 12:27 AM   #2
ziggy222

i have yet to be let down by my sierra manual that list a bunch of loads and then at the bottom it posts their best accuracy load and on some,the best hunting load.for the 70 grain it only shows an accuracy load cause sierra don't make a hunting slug 70 grains,but its a max load of h322 27.9 grains sierra 50th anniversery edition.they have been right on for most of my guns in the past.work up,good luck
Old October 27, 2006, 07:20 AM   #3
kenneth owens

powder

I worked up lots of ppc loads with pretty good results,h322 is my favorite powder I think its time for a change benchmark,n133 are my next choices after that I think its time for a change in bullet,primer,case.cost wise the benchmark would be my choice but I am not concerned with price I am just looking for accuracy
Old October 27, 2006, 10:03 AM   #4
castnblast

I'm getting ready to experiment w/ benchmark. Also, they make a 4 pack tester kit that has 4oz of 4 similar types of powder. It is only a buck or two more than a standard 1lb can. If you are looking for experimenting, I'd go that route. The tester I saw had the following: Benchmark, H380, Varget, and one other.

Benchmark appears to be a little faster burning (I think) takes less powder, and hence the name, should be accurate. I'm going to be working up loads for 22-250 as that caliber really shoots better at higher velocities, and it appears to create those higher velocities...
Old October 27, 2006, 10:22 AM   #5
kenneth owens

yea,I have had many people tell me that benchmark is a good powder have you had any experience with n133 ? thats another one I will try also
Old October 27, 2006, 11:08 AM   #6
T-Mac

this is a helpful source.
www.stevespages.com
Old October 27, 2006, 04:37 PM   #7
castnblast

only thing I notice is that vhitivouri powder specs are generally not as hot as the IMR & Hogdgon poweders.

I never can remember how to spell either of those...