The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 19, 2006, 09:41 AM   #26
Whitworth

Accuracy

Any deer rifle will dust a coyote.

It's not so much the rifle as the accuracy. I hunt them in southern forests, so it's more on hitting a smaller target than a deer; a target moving closer to the ground; and the greater possibilitity of hitting a twig or sapling on a moving target.
Old March 19, 2006, 10:13 AM   #27
dfaugh

I've been working along the same lines

As we now have a serious coyote problem here...My friend has just started "ranching" sheep, and the 'yotes are all over his place, as well as elsewhere. NOTE THAT I DON"T HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE, JUST ALOT OF OBSERVATIONS, AND FEEDBACK FROM EXPERIENCED HUNTERS. ALSO, I WANT MINIMAL PELT DAMAGE, AS I'D LIKE TO MAKE A FEW BUCKS, TO OFFSET THE COST OF A GUN I WOULDN'T BUY OTHERWISE.

So, what I've settled on is a Heavy Barreled Savage in .22-250. I do a lot of long range shooting, and prefer a heavy gun. I won't be carrying this thing around much, so weight isn't an issue. Most shots will be fairly long, as the coyotes here are very wary, and won't let you get very close. Will also be using variable scope, probably 6-24x, as that's what I'm used to.

One reason I've picked the Savage, is because of the "barrel nut" system...So I can switch barrels easily( as long as I have a headspace gauge)...If I'm not happy with the .22-250, I can go to .243, or .308, or any number of other calibers. The only thing I DON'T like, is that they don't make faster twist barrels(in .22-250), as I would like to use heavier bullets, for better "wind bucking".

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."