The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 16, 2000, 11:50 AM   #1
GKT

I just ordered a couple different loads to try out for trap: A couple boxes of their sport loads (8-shot, 2 3/4, 1oz) which had a nice price at $3.72 (I think they're factory remanufactured). I also purchased a few boxes of their STS target loads (7.5 shot, 2 3/4, 1 oz) which were more expensive at $5.09.

So another newbie question from GKT....why spend the extra $1.50?? What's the trade-off? And what's the trade off of going with the 8 shot from the 7.5 shot?

Shell-less in Seattle,

GKT
Old February 16, 2000, 11:52 AM   #2
GKT

Er...that was "Best Loads for Trap" not "Traps". I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.
Old February 16, 2000, 11:58 AM   #3
GKT

And while I'm replying to myself...what the heck is dram equivalent?
Old February 16, 2000, 02:10 PM   #4
Lavan

As another lonely trapshooter, I will reply just to make the thread look lively.
Blackpowder used to be measured in drams. Thus, a load of smokeless that produces the same velocity as a dram of black is called a "dram equivalent"
Old February 16, 2000, 02:33 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The high price stuff is manufactured with better(read more costly)components, rounder shot and so on.

Depending on your level of expertise, it may or may not be worthwhile to get the trap loads vs the cheapo stuff.

8s put a few more albeit slightly smaller pellets in the pattern, BUT....
Most shotguns will pattern one size or the other noticeably better.Go with what patterns best.

BTW, AA trap loads in 7 1/2 are my dove load of choice. Works good on clays also...
Old February 16, 2000, 03:21 PM   #6
Hueco

Well, for me, I like Winchester AA 2 3/4" 2 3/4 dram 8 shot the best so far. I have shot about 100 or so of the STS and they are terrible. I don't know what was going on with them...but wow I hate them! The reason I like the AA's so much is that they really have almost zero recoil and muzzle lift. This is great because it is so easy to follow through and get a second shot off for the #2 bird. But, my all time favorite is a custom-loaded STS that I...that's all the info you get on my load! Go for AA's GKT, you just can't go wrong with them.

Hueco
Old February 16, 2000, 04:15 PM   #7
TheOtherMikey

At 16-18 yd singles, a light 1oz load is all that is needed to smack thay clay target. You don't need STS or magnums, etc. In fact, if you don't reload, get some cheap Fiocci or Challenger shells....light quail and dove loads will do.

STS are great shells to reload. But all my friends buy their hulls once fired (which means they let the rich folk buy the factory loaded STSs) and reload them. They have very good and durable hulls.

Regards, Mikey.
Old February 16, 2000, 05:02 PM   #8
Shok

GKT,

I reload with 1 1/8 oz magnum shot at 1200 fps for serious trap. For informal trap I do 1300 fps. I use #8 and modified choke for short to medium ranges. For longer distances I use 7 1/2 and full choke.

The cheaper stuff may have chilled shot which can deform and pattern badly. Magnum shot is harder and won't deform which yields a much better pattern.

Shok
Old February 16, 2000, 06:12 PM   #9
Hueco

True, the STS are wonderful hulls! They seem like they would feed in an auto like butter! They are strong, smooth, and quite handsome if you polish the brass. The only problem is, to get the hulls to reload (at least around where I live) I have to suffer through the factory loads! The AA hulls are actually really poor looking. They also have a bad tendency to crack or spilt -- very frustrating. I suppose the dream load would be somethign that performs like an AA out of an STS hull. I am searching for that load now.... Good luck out there!

Hueco
Old February 16, 2000, 06:24 PM   #10
GKT

Very good advice...thanks for more free education! Hueco....I'll check out those AA's!
Old February 16, 2000, 11:18 PM   #11
Hueco

I can just hear it now -- you are out shooting doubles in trap(s) and you miss both -- puller yells out "snake-eyes!"

Yes, I am aware it is a lame joke, but hey...what is humour if not said?

Hueco
Old February 16, 2000, 11:39 PM   #12
K80Geoff

My favorite trap load is the Wall mart Federal value pack loads. They work fine for 16 yard trap and are cheap. I have to say that I do not shoot trap competitively. I see a lot of these hulls on the ground where I do shoot trap so they are verry popular for practice. They have Hard shot and work well at trap ranges.

The Remington STS and Nitro 27 loads are what I depend on when I shoot in competition (Sporting Clays). The Nitro 27 does have a kick but for long range targets they are superior to anything else. I find that the STS 3 dram loads work great for general sporting targets. I do not like the 2 3/4 dram STS, they pattern very tigntly in my gun and my normal choice for Sporting Clays, Light Modified choke, does not perform well with them. I usually shoot #8 in the STS and 7 1/2 in the nitro 27's. For reloading there is no contest, the Remington hulls are the best.

Geoff Ross

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited February 16, 2000).]