The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 28, 2018, 03:20 AM   #26
Hummer70

Quick evaluation you can do. Fill two 1 gal milk jugs with water. Screw on lids. Shoot the first one with your 10MM. Shoot the second one with your 308.
Cert Test Dir. Sm Arms and Ammo,Aberdeen Pr Ground, Firefighter I, AC4HT
Old September 28, 2018, 05:54 PM   #27
Swifty Morgan

I don't understand why anyone protects a house with a pistol.

I carry a Glock 10mm with handloads and a laser. It holds 11 rounds @ 1250 fps, and aiming carefully, I can put every shot in 1.5" at 7 yards. With a burglar in my living room, I would expect that to open up to a foot, which is not good.

With 7.62x39mm, I can have a short rifle with 31 rounds in it waiting by my bed. Over 2300 fps. Much less likely to miss. Much harder to shoot myself. Way more damage per round. Penetrates concealment and clothing better than a pistol.

Don't most armed home invaders use pistols? Real bad idea in my house.
Old October 28, 2018, 07:17 AM   #28
unclejack37

If you stop and think about it, just about everything that was said in this post doesn't matter. The reason is because we as individuals believe that our brand X gun with brand X ammo is the perfect weapon for us to defend ourself when the time comes to defend ourselves. We wouldn't know for sure until the time comes to defend ourself. Until that time does come; keep practicing, keep looking for the new and improved weapon, ammo, and advise, and don't forget to thank God for not having to use deadly force to defend yourself today.
Old October 29, 2018, 12:27 PM   #29
Glenn E. Meyer

Why a pistol?

1. Easier to manipulate in household emergencies. Using the phone, holding a kid or hurt family member. Using a light.

2. Easier to manipulate corners. unless you really practice.

3. Easier to have on your person. A long arm by your bedroom is useless when you are in the kitchen and several rooms away.

The long arm is useful if you have time to get to it or it is the hunker down because you have warning time.

The usual stopping power post ignores the tactical use of the weapon in a household.
Old October 29, 2018, 12:37 PM   #30
Sevens

Quote:
1. Never tug on Superman's Cape.
You don't spit in to the wind.

You don't pull the mask off the 'ole Lone Ranger and ya don't mess around with Jim.