The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 10, 2022, 12:46 PM   #1
raimius

Washington state: magazine ban passes senate

If you live in WA, you might want to contact your representative, before the house votes...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kin...2-828eda609574

This looks like another horribly written, bound to be ineffective bill. Of note, it recently changed from a 17rd limit down to 10...I guess the gun-control crowd really likes round numbers.
Old February 10, 2022, 01:11 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

What bugs me most isn't the attempt, (expected that) its morons crowing about how the Senater "chose public safety over the gun lobby" and, especially "the data is overwhelming. This bill will save lives"...WHAT A CROCK!!
Old February 11, 2022, 03:19 AM   #3
DaleA

And the ever popular 'just one life' although if they go from 17 to 10 they'd probably say they were saving 7 lives.

Good luck.
Old February 11, 2022, 08:47 AM   #4
FITASC

Maybe someone should ask that politician how many criminals will obey his law?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 11, 2022, 09:58 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
Maybe someone should ask that politician how many criminals will obey his law?
They all will.

You have to understand that, as a whole, legislators live in a fantasy world. I'm fairly certain that, in the mind of whoever proposed this law and in the minds of all its supporters, they actually think that as soon as the law is passed (or very soon thereafter) there won't be any magazines in the state with a capacity greater than 10 rounds. Ergo -- ALL criminals will obey the law, because they won't have any choice.
Jeepaholic
Old February 11, 2022, 02:41 PM   #6
rickyrick

Glad I moved from that state
Old February 12, 2022, 11:26 AM   #7
doofus47

I think that the assumption that motivated crazy people can't do math has been disproven in both VA and CA.

Glad their state is different!
Old February 12, 2022, 05:37 PM   #8
dwhite

I've found the difference between 10 rounds and 20 rounds to be less than three seconds.

Time it takes to change magazines.
Old February 12, 2022, 05:54 PM   #9
cjwils

dwhite said: "I've found the difference between 10 rounds and 20 rounds to be less than three seconds. Time it takes to change magazines."

That is true, but my concern is that this law, if actually passed by the Washington State House, would also affect handguns. As we all know, lots of semi-auto handguns hold more than 10. One of my favorite handguns is the Browning Hi-Power, which has held 13 ever since 1935. The law, if passed, would allow state residents to continue to own such guns, but selling them would be banned, which makes the guns worth zero. Isn't that a taking without compensation?

Maybe someone would produce 10 round mags for existing handguns, which might help the situation, but I am not clear on the actual language in the proposed law. Maybe you can sell your Hi-Power if you include a new 10 round mag.
Old February 12, 2022, 05:58 PM   #10
rc

Down south in CA they passed a 1 time safety test that turned into a 4 year safety test that had to be renewed to buy guns. They banned magazines but grandfathered the ones we owned and a few years later, said you can't have those illegal magazines anymore. Now you can't use lead ammo to hunt even if the non lead ammo shoots like crap or costs many times more per round. This will not stop, there is no end goal for the gun grabbers but complete disarmament one nibble at a time so only the criminals have guns because they are also going to defund and harass the police out of work and there will be chaos in the streets. I think we have a real problem with big money corruption in government.
Old February 12, 2022, 07:51 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite
I've found the difference between 10 rounds and 20 rounds to be less than three seconds.

Time it takes to change magazines.
When people try to tell me how many lives a 10-round magazine capacity limit will save, I'm always tempted to play this video for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgdq1FBYTUE

Travis Tomasie, former professional shooter for ParaUSA and Remington, former captain of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit (and all-around nice guy). The problem is, if I refer legislators to that video, then on top of a mag capacity limit they'll just want to limit us to carrying only one magazine.

They won't stop until we're all disarmed -- or dead.
Jeepaholic
Old February 12, 2022, 07:56 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The law, if passed, would allow state residents to continue to own such guns, but selling them would be banned, which makes the guns worth zero. Isn't that a taking without compensation?
No, its not taking without compensation and the PROPOSED law only affect magazines, not the guns that use them. SO, even if passed, you could still sell your Hi-Power, just not with a 13rnd magazine. Nothing is being "taken" except bit of our right to own what we want.

Does that reduce its value on the market? Sure. However, the market value of your firearms is of no concern to anti-gun activists in govt, or out.

And existing mags owners will be grandfathered, so you can keep what you already have. But, IF PASSED, you won't be able to get any more, so if you feel you're short now, best stock up!

Old February 13, 2022, 12:29 AM   #13
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
They won't stop until we're all disarmed -- or dead.
At least with respect to the people who weren't the problem in the first place...