The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2022, 03:54 PM   #1
markr6754

Heavy for Caliber 380ACP Loads

Bought the newest load manual from Nosler, Nosler 9, wanted to see what they have in the way of 380ACP loads. To my surprise, they only list one load, and it's for a 115gr JHP. I was intrigued, as I've long wondered about the reason that 380ACP generally runs from 88gr to 100gr, a mere 12 gr spread, while 9mm, it's larger cousin runs from 88gr to 147gr, and lately I'm seeing factory loads well above 147gr, though I haven't bought or shot any.

It also helped that I don't find a lot of current load data for Hi-Skor 700-X, a powder I "discovered" during Covid lockdown, and picked up 8lbs. Yet this is one of the listed powders for this heavy pill in 380ACP.

I made up a small ladder ... 1.9gr, 2.0gr, and 2.1gr, and intended to keep meticulous notes when firing these rounds, especially for condition of the primers, cases, and perceived recoil in my smallest pistols. Alas, I inadvertently grabbed those rounds for a range outing with my son...who wouldn't take notes on his shooting experience if he could get paid for it.

So...he shot all 30 rounds, starting high and ending low. He didn't even know that they were 115gr bullets, but he did observe a few things (anecdotally as I asked him about it the next day). They all cycled fine, recoil was decent, not harsh...in a Ruger LCPII. Ejection pattern was similar to common 380 ACP factory rounds. And...he noticed that I had made identifying marks on the 1.9gr and 2.0gr case heads. The one observation that he was concerned about (but not enough to proactively tell me), at 7 yards, he couldn't see where any of them hit the targets. We're indoors, shooting at large 23x35" targets, and he couldn't see where the puka was made in the papah.

Of course I made more...which I hope to get out to shoot myself, soon.
Old April 29, 2022, 04:16 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr6754
So...he shot all 30 rounds, starting high and ending low. He didn't even know that they were 115gr bullets, but he did observe a few things (anecdotally as I asked him about it the next day). They all cycled fine, recoil was decent, not harsh...in a Ruger LCPII. Ejection pattern was similar to common 380 ACP factory rounds. And...he noticed that I had made identifying marks on the 1.9gr and 2.0gr case heads. The one observation that he was concerned about (but not enough to proactively tell me), at 7 yards, he couldn't see where any of them hit the targets. We're indoors, shooting at large 23x35" targets, and he couldn't see where the puka was made in the papah.
I don't suppose he looked at the floor between the firing line and the "papah" to see if there were any bullets rolling around on the deck ...
Jeepaholic
Old April 29, 2022, 05:01 PM   #3
lll Otto lll

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr6754 View Post
So...he shot all 30 rounds, starting high and ending low.....at 7 yards, he couldn't see where any of them hit the targets. We're indoors, shooting at large 23x35" targets, and he couldn't see where the puka was made in the papah.
Not knowing where the rounds are going, is very alarming and disturbing.
Old April 29, 2022, 06:44 PM   #4
markr6754

Yeah, his comment surprise me, as a 9mm puka is pretty hard to miss at 7 yards. That's why I need to test them myself. Either the rounds vaporized on exiting the barrel, or they went through existing pukas, or he just wasn't paying any attention to where he was aiming/shooting. The ejection pattern on the spent cases told me that the loads were good...velocity should have been close to 800 fps.
Old April 30, 2022, 12:56 PM   #5
buck460XVR

I like me some Nosler handgun bullets. Was a little disappointed when I gave my two boys LCPs for Xmas one year and found that Nosler only makes 115gr bullets for reloading the caliber. Bought me a coupla 250 count boxes anyway, figuring I could trade/sell them to someone for use in 9mm if I didn't like them. Along with the Nosler, I bought other .380 appropriate bullets like Hornady 90gr XTPs, Sierra 95 grainers and some Armscor 100 grainers. All shot reasonably well, with the 115 Noslers giving excellent accuracy at SD distance, with relatively modest recoil over 2.5 gr of Bullseye. Lyman also gives info for Hornady's 115 gr XTP that almost mirrors the Nosler data.