The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2022, 11:56 AM   #1
markr6754

Evapo-Rust for the Reloading Room

I recently purchased a used Hornady Case Prep Center from a guy getting out of reloading. I had a significant savings, so I couldn't really complain about the state of the equipment, but it was a bit disappointing. All of the exposed steel components were rusted far worse than I like (I hate rust), and my primary cleaning methods proved ineffective...and then I heard about Evapo-Rust.

I decided to give this stuff a try. It's a magical substance as I cannot fathom how a product that removes rust can be safe for skin, eyes, non-toxic, re-usable and so on.

This stuff is truly amazing. I pulled off every part that wasn't aluminum (before finding out it's safe for aluminum as well), and dropped it into a deep plastic tray (repurposed frozen food tray), poured in the Evapo-Rust to cover everything, and let it sit for a couple of hours. I'd check it every 45 minutes or so, and I am thrilled with the result. All signs of rust are gone...some surface discoloration in the polished pieces remained, but it even pulled the rust out of the threads in the main drive shaft. My reloading room is in an upstairs bedroom, and thus, temperature and humidity controlled. The rust is unlikely to return. Nevertheless, I coated all of the parts with Ballistol and wiped it off. Gotta admit, seeing the prep center back together with out rust, and feeling how smoothly everything runs brought a wide smile to my face.
Old April 13, 2022, 12:46 PM   #2
seanc

Adam Savage has a u-tube video singing it's praises. I need to clean up a de-capper and might get some of this stuff. Moved to S. FL and the increased humidity even indoors is starting to take effect.
Old April 13, 2022, 12:54 PM   #3
markr6754

I picked up a quart (946ml) from Amazon for under $10. Safe to ship. Now that I have it, I wish I'd bought a larger bottle. I'll be using more of this stuff, for sure. I'll have to check out Adam Savage's video. I caught the Project Farm anti-rust product review.
Old April 13, 2022, 01:09 PM   #4
Old_School

I used this stuff a few years ago to clean up some dies, presses, and bullet sizer I bought at an estate sale. Took off a bit of the paint, but the exposed steel looked almost new again!

Amazing product that's found a home on my workbench shelf.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Old April 13, 2022, 02:08 PM   #5
eflyguy

Used it for years. Haven't had a garage - just a car port - for about 15 years, but work extensively on cars and bikes. After trying all the supposed "home remedies", I finally broke down and bought a jug of evapo-rust and wished I had much sooner. I keep it in a smaller plastic paint bucket from the hardware store so I can leave a lid on it. I made a basket from a cheap colander from the dollar store and a wire coat-hanger.
Old April 13, 2022, 07:31 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

The chemistry is a chelating agent like the ones used in Bore Tech's products that do such a rapid job removing copper.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 13, 2022, 10:56 PM   #7
Nodak1858

It's some pretty amazing stuff. But if you don't have any you can do the same, only slower, with molasses and water. You can Google up the ratio but it works on the same principle. Roughly 9 to one water to molasses
Old April 15, 2022, 12:48 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

There is some oxamic acid in molasses that chelates iron, but there is already a lot of iron and other metal minerals in the molasses. That established tenancy and dilution with inactive constituents likely account for the slow speed. So buying molasses for rust removal is a little like buying lemon juice to get citric acid for case cleaning. You could just buy oxalic acid to do the same work and use enough less than the fast rust removing mixture (10:1 by weight) that it's actually cheaper to use than molasses (if your are willing to make it so weak you have to wait several days or weeks for it to finish the job, as molasses requires). 10 lbs is about $35 at Amazon, so about $3.50/lb, and one pound would be expected to do what several jars of molasses can do. So, unless there is something else in the molasses that matters to the process, that also seems more economical. You could also add a wetting agent to help it wet and penetrate the rust.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 16, 2022, 06:48 PM   #9
RoyceP

I use Evaporust and have for many years. It is sold at Harbor Freight stores. I use something like two gallons a year. Fantastic stuff, highly recommended.
Old April 17, 2022, 11:37 AM   #10
Ukrainitz

Took some PVC pipe, capped one end. Put Arisaka barrel and rusted parts into pipe and filled with this stuff. Capped other end and let it sit overnight. Awesome results.