The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 22, 2022, 12:21 PM   #51
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinswi View Post
Bart B,

Also I thought the reason .308 started to shrink groups was due to better case fill vs 30-06. I didnt know it was from the twist rate. I learned something
The 308 and 7.62 chamber throat leade angle is also different.
Old February 22, 2022, 03:05 PM   #52
RickB

I have a SA, Inc. Garand, from 2002, and while I agree it has no soul, compared to USGI surplus, it shoots fine.
I certainly would not have paid the $1000+ retail price for one, but a promotional deal meant it cost me $600, and I decided a new gun, with warranty, was worth the "risk", if there actually was any.
Springfield continued to make M1s until about 2008, when they announced at SHOT that they were dropping it.
Old February 22, 2022, 05:38 PM   #53
Mannlicher

I have two M1 Garands, Winchester and a Springfield. Both made during WWII. The only problem I see is there just isn't much milsurp ammo left.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 23, 2022, 05:05 AM   #54
jcj54

30-06 has always been 1 in 10

The 30-06 M1 was designed for the 174 grain M1 ammunition which needed thev1 in 10 to stabilize it. The .308 was designed with the 150 grain bullet and thev1 in 12 was adequate to stabilize it.
Old February 23, 2022, 08:18 AM   #55
JustJake

Quote:
I have two M1 Garands, Winchester and a Springfield. Both made during WWII. The only problem I see is there just isn't much milsurp ammo left.
Several retail ammo-makers do offer so-called “Garand-safe” 30-06 ammo, if you can find it.

But having an M1 in .308/7.62 makes a heck of a lotta sense today in view of the easier-to-source ammo, whether it’s surplus M80 ball or the commercial equivalent.
Old February 23, 2022, 06:37 PM   #56
zaitcev

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Several retail ammo-makers do offer so-called “Garand-safe” 30-06 ammo, if you can find it.
Federal makes such "M1 Garand" ammunition. That is all I shoot. I have an FN49 and I don't want to screw around with modern 30-06 stuff on a gun that has no spares.
Old February 23, 2022, 11:32 PM   #57
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj54 View Post
The 30-06 M1 was designed for the 174 grain M1 ammunition which needed thev1 in 10 to stabilize it. The .308 was designed with the 150 grain bullet and thev1 in 12 was adequate to stabilize it.
That same 174 grain FMJBT bullet was used in the 7.62 NATO match ammo and its 1:12 twist barrel shot it more accurate leaving about 100 fps slower.

1:12 twist barrels in 7.62 NATO Garands tested Sierra's 190 grain HPMK's under 4 inches at 600 yards.

What twist did the 30-06 predecessor (30-03) barrels have for its 220 grain bullets?

When the 30-06 was popular in competition, 1:12 twist barrels produced the best scores. With 150 grain bullets used in max loads leaving 3000 fps, a 1:13 twist produced best accuracy to 1000 yards.

Last edited by Bart B.; February 24, 2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old February 24, 2022, 01:10 PM   #58
JustJake

Quote:
Quote:
Federal makes such "M1 Garand" ammunition. That is all I shoot. I have an FN49 and I don't want to screw around with modern 30-06 stuff on a gun that has no spares.
PPU as well, and it's less pricey than the Federal stuff. That's why it's hard to find right now, aside from the Corvid-panic issue affecting ammo availability.

I've shot 1.5 cases of the PPU ammo thru my '06 M1s and it's GTG. Accuracy is decent and the brass is good and reloadable.
Old March 7, 2022, 08:21 PM   #59
Reloadron

H&R getting ready to make M1s again

Well I wish them the best of luck, especially if they plan to make them to print. Anyone who has taken a M1 Garand down to parade rest knows just how many parts there are. The early M1 Garands had a good number of milled parts and eventually as cost cutting and faster manufacturing transitioned to stamped parts. Regardless there is a whole lotta parts which all need to work well for the rifle to function. I do not see any easy way to reproduce an M1 Garand and market it for a reasonable cost. Even if they can get investment cast receivers to work for them. Pretty sure they will do a marketing analysis before they start building rifles.

I have two M1 Garands. The older is WWII vintage and is absolutely a mix master. A rifle I built as part of a NRA course during '95. I had planned to build the rifle in 7.62 NATO and ordered two short chambered barrels from Brownell's. The day before I am leaving for NC and the course I get two barrels. Unfortunately chambered in 7mm-08 Remington. The upper rifle in the below image is the 7mm-08 and all tricked out. Including the NM2 front and rear sights, glass bedding (Devcon), and all the usual modifications. While it shoots great it can't be fired in a military match but is fine for open class. The lower rifle is a Korean era 30-06 with the birch (orange wood) stock.

I have a 7.62 barrel and eventually when I wear out the 7mm-08 barrel I will rebarrel the rifle in 7.62 NATO.

If I had a few receivers I have enough parts to build a few more. Anyone need a BMB trigger group complete or a BMB Bolt complete?

I pretty much roll my own ammunition but several years ago I hit a good price on some Seller & Bellot 30-06 in cans of 200 150 grain FMJ stuff and it shoots extremely well. Actually anymore I tend to shoot my M1A and AR10 much more than I get the Garands out.

Again, wish H&R the best to make this work.

Ron
Old March 8, 2022, 12:55 PM   #60
Willie Lowman

Do they still have a copy of the TDP for the M14? I'd much rather have a new M14 with a forged receiver than a M1
Old March 8, 2022, 04:38 PM   #61
Reloadron

Quote:
Do they still have a copy of the TDP for the M14? I'd much rather have a new M14 with a forged receiver than a M1
LRB on Long Island makes the M14 civilian flavor using a forged receiver. Just know just a receiver is pushing $900. My reads have been their stuff is great with a price to match.

A piece of irony. My basic USMC issue was an M14 made by TRW. Decades later I finished my career in Cleveland, Ohio at the TRW plant where that rifle was made. The old test range was still in tact. That with rumors of old rifles stored in the catacombs below the buildings.

Ron
Old March 25, 2022, 06:13 PM   #62
Ignition Override

If a majority of H&R's stock is owned by the same 'type' of Hedge fund managers (--note, I Don't Know whether this is the case--) who wanted quick profits from airlines {retired from that} :

--no thanks--.

I'm so satisfied with both of my brand-new (nib) PTR-91s/HK-91 clones , have lots of .308 steel-cased ammo (Steel rims Don't get ripped out), that I would never consider any repro Garand.

You guys have fun with them.

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 25, 2022 at 07:45 PM.
Old March 25, 2022, 09:18 PM   #63
HiBC

The Receivers Will Be Forged

Post # 1 offered a video of an interview where a rep explained the project
I went there,watched the video.
Its been clearly stated in this thread more than once that the receivers would be forged. Not cast, Forged.

This vid will start at 13:15 When it runs to 13:43 the man states "The receivers will be forged"

I wonder how many more posts will go off in the weeds discussing a cast receiver.It will be forged.

Rumors/ misinformation of cast receivers would likely hurt sales.https://youtu.be/vX0kEurikfg?t=796

The vid says H+R has the TDP and some specialized tooling from when they made them for Uncle Sam.

Post # 29 mentions the forging company NoDak Spud . Apparently PSA acquired H+R ? Do I have that right? Per post #29 PSA also acquired Nodak Spud The forging resource is covered.

Last edited by HiBC; March 25, 2022 at 09:39 PM.
Old March 26, 2022, 08:02 AM   #64
JustJake

Quote:
Post # 1 offered a video of an interview where a rep explained the project. I went there, watched the video.
Good follow-thru right there.

Quote:
Its been clearly stated in this thread more than once that the receivers would be forged. Not cast, Forged.
Also good, ... because as Garand Pros-in-the-Know always say: “Cast don’t last.”

No one wants to spend their hard-earned money on a brittle repop.
Old March 30, 2022, 01:06 PM   #65
Red Devil

Quote:
Forged receivers? ... or cast, like the commercial "Springfield Armory Inc" M1s of the late '90s.
The man in the vid said forged receiver, as well as all OEM forged parts as well.

This is good news - for when the SCotUS restates the 2A, and then Congress institutes a Federal 2A Welfare Program.

8>)

Red