The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 2, 2018, 01:44 PM   #26
doofus47

I mounted a 2-7x Burris on my hunting AR last year. I think it's broke, though, as it seems to wander after zero (it's NEVER the guy behind the trigger...never!) so I"m looking to replace. I'm thinking that 1-6 would be fine for hunting.
Old January 2, 2018, 04:52 PM   #27
erichard

I have a variety of red dots/scopes. What I have boiled it down to is red dots on my rifles because for self defense, that's going to be optimum. However, for range use, or sighting in, or possibly hunting, I'm in the process of buying a 5X magnifier off eBay for $35 shipped from China. Rather than a flip to side mount, I'm going to put a quick release mount on the magnifier. So when I target shoot or want to zero my red dot, I can put that magnifier on and enjoy magnified optics with a red dot reticle. 5X is slightly above what Marines, etc. use with their Trijicon fixed power scopes, so if it's good enough for them out to 500 meters, it's good enough for me.

The big advantage of this setup is, when done with the range use, take off the magnifier and you have a very lightweight red dot for home defense or whatever. I use a Holosun red dot, which I recommend, and it weighs 6 oz. I believe. That's nothing. You can get an Eotech-like reticle in the Holosuns, and even solar powered red dots which lengthen the battery aspect to years of use (unlike Eotech scopes).

Magnifier is well reviewed for the price point:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Xq0AA...bWl/s-l300.jpg

I've bought discounted Holosuns in the $120-160 range, some refurbished, some new.
Old January 2, 2018, 07:25 PM   #28
Jacket67

Please comment back here or PM me about the magnifier once you've got some rounds through it! For that price it'd be a fun cheap range accessory!
Old January 2, 2018, 10:53 PM   #29
erichard

Sure. Here's what I think is the same product on Amazon, where you can read some reviews. The glass and build seems good enough. According to the reviews, the tilt mount is not the greatest, but I intend to replace that with one I already have.
Amazon:
https://tinyurl.com/y899grcm

Here's the ebay item:

https://tinyurl.com/y6vnr3wd
Old January 3, 2018, 12:56 AM   #30
Metal god

I can't recommend any of the lower end Vortex optics . I've had both a Crossfire II and the Strike fire . Both failed and had to be returned . Yes they both where replaced no questions asked and that's a great plus for any product . My issue is needing the MVP warranty on both low end products with what amounts to minimal use .

I had about 3500rds from my 308 before the Crossfire II AO focus went kaput and that was just shooting from a bench , never carrying in the field or banging it around . I'll add this was on a 13+lb rifle with a muzzle brake , it's a real soft shooter and yet the scope failed .

The strikefire took a little more abuse but not much really and one day it just started turning off and on after each shot , that was on an AR .

I like a good warranty just as much as the next guy but I'd rather they don't fail in the first place . I get that an optic can fail at any time but for me and Vortex they did and IMHO with pretty light duty use . Will I buy Vortex again ? yes more then likely . I how ever don't have a big budget either and decided to go with the Primary Arms products and have now bought there Advanced micro dot and there 1-6x24 ACSS gen III scope . I like them both but have not had them long enough to give my 100% endorsement . I how ever don't have a problem recommending them either . I'm just not going to tell you how great they are quite yet .

That said I like them a lot as of now . Not sure why you don't want the ACSS reticle but I like it a lot more then the basic BDC I had been using . The chevron took some getting used to but once I realized how pin point you can aim with it , I've grown to like it . I'll also add when using a BDC of any kind it's important you do not cant your rifle at all . This is a big problem for me because my natural hold cants my rifle to the left .

This is the reticle on mine . To date I think they have 6 to 8 different ACSS reticles .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7DmssXBNgo

When I first took the 1-6 out on a new 18" AR build . I zeroed it at 100 then used the reticle for 200 and 300yds . I was about 1.5" left at 200 and 4" left at 300 . That day even though I know I have a natural cant to my hold I did not put 2 & 2 together until a few weeks later when the light bulb went on . I then bought a "Vortex" anti cant level and installed it on the scope . The next time out I doped the scope with a new load out to 300yds using just the reticle making sure the rifle was level and it shot center of POA every time at all distances .

Also , the reticle has illumination but illuminating it is not required because the reticle is etched in the glass . I don't use the reticle illuminated when magnified but on 1x just a light illumination with that horse shoe ring and small chevron center . Oh man is that good for quick acquisition from target to target .

So that all said , if you are locked into a Vortex product . I strongly recommend you save the money and get the 1-6x24 strike eagle . I believe it has slightly better glass then the PA as well . The PA is good and I don't have any complaints or issues but I've had and or used a few Vortex products and for the price there glass is very good . Maybe Nikon is right up there with them as far as budget optics with very good glass but there again when you think about it . What is Nikon famous for ? There camera lenses so you'd expect they have good glass regardless of what they use it for , Just my opinion there .

Well that was a little more long winded then I planed it to be . Hope it helps .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; January 3, 2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old January 3, 2018, 03:08 AM   #31
Coloradohtr

I have the 1-6x Strike Eagle on my 16" Aero Precision in a Team Waren Tactical mount with a 3moa Vortex Venom red dot at a 45° angle. I love the set up. I've taken my AR out to 300 yards and I wouldn't hesitate taking shots further than 500+ yards with it. When I was in the Marines we had iron sights and shot that far for qual. Then we got issued the 4x Trijicon RCOs. That made it alot easier at 500 yards. The Strike Eagle can definitely get it done and I believe it's worth the extra money. Either way if you choose any of Vortex's optics you'll get their no questions asked VIP warranty and you'll be happy.

I have kind of put that AR in the back of the safe because I just finished building my 8.5" 300blk SBR with an EOtech!
Old January 16, 2018, 05:36 PM   #32
erichard

Quote:
Please comment back here or PM me about the magnifier once you've got some rounds through it! For that price it'd be a fun cheap range accessory!
Jacket67, I got the magnifier today, and the short review is similar to the Amazon reviews: optic good enough, mount is questionable.

Long review is that the optic is on par with most low to medium level optics today, meaning about a B grade optic, perhaps on par with a low level Vortex. It is relatively clear edge to edge with no significant vignetting (darkening around the edge). The clarity is good enough to be very useful, but certainly not as crisp as the better Vortex's (looks like a fair amount of chromatic aberration). It doesn't come with instructions, but I believe the front eyepiece is adjustable for focus somewhat, which I wasn't expecting. Comparing it to my 2.5-10X Vortex, the magnification seems to be 4X, not 5X as advertised, which is OK for me. Bottom line is that I think the optic is more than good enough to be useful and to be worth the 35 bucks shipped it cost.

The mount is probably a copy of some American design. It is complex and has everything you need. The problem is that it's not precision made, so there is a looseness to it even when things are tightened down. I originally was going to use a quick-release mount I already have, but then I remembered that the Holosun mount had been changed to the full height mount, which was too high for my medium height quick release mount (need to get a higher quick release mount). So I was left with the project of tightening up that flip mechanism of this new magnifier. It turned out it wasn't too difficult, but it is a jury-rig device at this point. I ended up shimming the rear flat area where the hinged pieces meet with two layers of gaffers tape. I also let some of that tape fold over into the groove so that the groove was shimmed as well from a separate axis of looseness. End result, it flips open, closes, and doesn't feel loose anymore...so good enough for government work (not self defense or professional work). I will likely use the mount till something better can be found for a good price.

The mount is the right height, and the left-right axis can be shifted with a screw that can be found on the left front of the mount. This puts the red dot in the center of the magnifier, although it doesn't hold center forever. This centering action is probably a necessity, and my original plan to use a simple quick release mount (which doesn't have this centering ability) probably would have been unsatisfactory even had it been the right height (red dot would have been too far left or right). The screw to tighten the mount on the rail has a flat head screw type, so not optimal. I foresee that becoming deformed if the mount is taken off and remounted often (not the best metal used either, I think).

The eye relief is short, like 2 inches or under, so you have to get right on top of the magnifier almost, if you want a full clear view. Because of this, I had to put the magnifier all the way back on the picatinny rail, moving my 45 degree iron rear sight forward of the magnifier, enough so that it didn't impede the right flip of the magnifier. The Holosun is mounted on the very front of the receiver's picatinny rail, and about 1.5 inches separates it from the magnifier. So in the end it all fits on the receiver.

I think you'd have to spend 10X my cost to get significantly better optics, and I don't need it to be better in any case. If a better mount is bought, it'd be good to go for self defense. Who knows, I may leave it with that mount on the gun, in which case it might be used for self defense in the end anyway (just reluctant to recommend it to others, who will likely be fussier).

Last edited by erichard; January 16, 2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old January 30, 2018, 04:41 PM   #33
Jacket67

Thanks for the reply and thorough review!

It definitely sounds like a great buy for the cost. I will definitely consider it if I go with the dot sight/magnifier combo!
Old January 30, 2018, 07:09 PM   #34
imashooter

Have a Vortex red dot w/ Vortex flip-magnifier. Works just fine but mostly is a chunk of metal in the way. Had the PST 1-4 which was very nice. Now to my point. If considering a 1-4 you might as well go 1-6. Check the various forums classifieds for optics. More times than not you can pick one up that otherwise you might not have wanted to pay retail.