The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 16, 2012, 12:43 AM   #1
GunXpatriot

Homemade "explosive/incendiary" ammo?

Well I came across a video the other day, actually a couple. It demonstrated how to make simple explosive or incendiary ammunition, specifically for airguns. It was pretty simple. Take some toy cap gun caps and take out the powder. Put them in the hollow point, add a couple of drops of water and let dry. Same principle with the incendiary, except with the tips of strike-on-anything matches.

By no means are these high explosives. I was going to do a little experiment, first try them with my air rifle and then with my .22 in .22lr hollow points. Seemed simple enough, however, there are two things I worry about... Is it legal? And will the explosive get heated up enough to explode within the barrel. I know even airguns get heated from the speed/pressure, but a .22lr is a whole 'nother ball game, considering you have gun powder pushing the bullet. Has anyone tried anything like this? Thanks.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:39 AM   #2
jgcoastie

I wouldn't risk it, especially in New York. Who knows what screwy laws they might have on the books.

Seems like a simple enough concept, but what would be the point? I seriously doubt the tips of a few strike anywhere matches would have any notable impact on something you're shooting with a .22lr. Unless you have a high-speed camera on the target, I doubt you'll see any difference.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old February 16, 2012, 02:28 AM   #3
GunXpatriot

Yeah, it might be better to just leave it all alone. A fun use could be to buy some cheap aerosol type cans and shoot them with the incendiary ammo! Or maybe those small propane tanks? Kinda like tannerite in a way

OR, OR, OR, you could use tannerite in such a way where a .22 is now capable of causeing it to explosde, as it was not before using normal ammo. Just a few concepts
Old February 16, 2012, 08:13 AM   #4
CowTowner

Something similar to this?
http://www.firequest.com/devistator-ammo.html
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 16, 2012, 07:06 PM   #5
GunXpatriot

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea, but that's a lot of money for such a small package. That's why I figured I'd just use the flash powder inside the caps. I guess if the Devastators dont explode within the barrel, neither will the homemade version.

Actually, thanks for showing me that link, much appreciated.
Old February 16, 2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

This is not the forum in which to discuss this sort of silliness. First, the topic has nothing to do with Law and Civil Rights. Second, the topic has nothing to do with responsible firearm ownership.
Closed Thread

Tags
ammunition , explosive , incendiary