The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 22, 2020, 05:54 AM   #1
Adventurer 2

What firearm have you replaced as technology evolves?

I bought a Glock 26 way back in 95 and thought it was the absolute best CCW firearm of its time. 10 rounds in a 20 some oz compact package.
Lived in Sierra Vista AZ then. You could shoot anywhere a quarter mile away from homes and roads - my officer friends and I shot up the desert on a weekly basis.
In the following decades I always carried that G26 with me as I hiked, biked, motorcycled, and four wheeled all over America. I had to replace the plastic sights several times but never thought of replacing this gun that ate everything it was fed.
Ah, but then I discovered an HK P2000 SK @ 2010 - steel sights, compact, double single action - so maybe it doesn’t always need a holster? They say to shoot a gun before you buy it - If I were shooting at a line I would place the line on top of my level sights - G26 hits the line, HK shoots below the line. No deal. This same sight test ruled out an HK P30Sk and a Walther PPQ sub compact.
This year a CZ-P10S sent my G26 to another home - steel night sights, compact, 12 rounds, well fitting grip, milled for an optic, and it hits the line. I’ve recently shot a Sig 365 and it has me thinking what a great time for the consumer.
So what handgun, shotgun, or rifle have you replaced as the industry evolves?
Old May 22, 2020, 08:46 AM   #2
BarryLee

Colt Cobra .38 > Colt Lightweight Commander .45acp > S&W 5906 9mm > SIG P229 9mm > GLOCK G26 9mm

Also, a few other temporary detours along the way.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 22, 2020, 09:04 AM   #3
Adventurer 2

If you like and want to keep you G26 - don’t test out a CZ-P10S.
Old May 22, 2020, 09:56 AM   #4
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer 2 View Post
I bought a Glock 26 way back in 95 and thought it was the absolute best CCW firearm of its time. 10 rounds in a 20 some oz compact package.
Lived in Sierra Vista AZ then. You could shoot anywhere a quarter mile away from homes and roads - my officer friends and I shot up the desert on a weekly basis.
In the following decades I always carried that G26 with me as I hiked, biked, motorcycled, and four wheeled all over America. I had to replace the plastic sights several times but never thought of replacing this gun that ate everything it was fed.
Ah, but then I discovered an HK P2000 SK @ 2010 - steel sights, compact, double single action - so maybe it doesn’t always need a holster? They say to shoot a gun before you buy it - If I were shooting at a line I would place the line on top of my level sights - G26 hits the line, HK shoots below the line. No deal. This same sight test ruled out an HK P30Sk and a Walther PPQ sub compact.
This year a CZ-P10S sent my G26 to another home - steel night sights, compact, 12 rounds, well fitting grip, milled for an optic, and it hits the line. I’ve recently shot a Sig 365 and it has me thinking what a great time for the consumer.
the G26 can be had with all of that. not stock but still can be equipped. one of my co-workers has this for his 26 and 19.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:12 AM   #5
Adventurer 2

Good to know.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Shotgun Slim

Carried a Detective special (38 snubby revolver for you millenials) for decades. That evolved into a Kahr cw40. Great gun. Shot surprisingly well and gave me the power of a 40 in a hideaway gun. The pistol and spare mag equipped me with 14 rounds to tackle life's problems. But then I handled a club member's CZ P10c. Knew from that moment on that I had to have a P10s. Took a long time to find one but now the Colt and the Kahr are tucked away in storage for my grand daughters future while a P10s tucked in an Aliengear IWB goes everywhere I go. This pistol is flat out wonderful. 13 rounds on board and 12 more on the belt,the nicest trigger you can hope for in an off the shelf gun,and it shoots as softly with defensive ammo as a much bigger gun. Only mod is a Dawson Precision rear sight to make it shoot exactly where I'm looking. I was a little hinky about leaving the 40 for the 9 but 25 rounds of Federal HST 147s provide me with complete confidence. Modern is good
Old May 22, 2020, 11:01 AM   #7
cslinger

I would argue you didn’t replace due to evolving technology as much as due to personal preference. There is nothing wrong with that.

The Glock 26 or P2000 is just as viable today as it ever was.

I would argue that replacing due to evolving technology would mean replacing with something optics ready and using an optic or buying a P365 or Hellcat as they are essentially smaller Glock 26s in every way. Maybe going from a J-Frame to a small 9mm auto.

What do I know though. I am a DA/SA troglodyte who even occasionally shoots .40 caliber and still loves revolvers. To infinity and beyond.....I am not.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:41 AM   #8
Pahoo

Happy to be stuck, in my rut !!!

Quote:
Actually, very few but there is certainly nothing wrong with doing so. …..

1) I don't care too much for plastic.
2) I don't like In-Lines (MM/L's)
3) Still think that the Rem-1100, is the best.
4) I prefer SA's as well as Lever-Actions.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 22, 2020, 11:54 AM   #9
ms6852

Haven't replaced but have added to the collection. Still carry a full size 1911 or my 686 S&W. On occasion when fishing or at the beach carry a Kel-Tec PMR30 because it is lightweight and has a significant amount of firepower and as most know 22 magnum is not something to sneeze at. When working out I may carry the 911 Springfield in .380. So nothing gets replaced but I do adapt to the situation at hand as I see fit.
Old May 22, 2020, 02:27 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Those newfangled self-contained cartridges have really put me off cap and ball.
Old May 22, 2020, 06:03 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Something none of us can have

Directed energy weapons. No more cartridges. Electronics and less mechanical moving parts. Must be Ahhnauld's wanted when he asked for the Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt range.

https://patentimages.storage.googlea...16024265A1.pdf
Old May 22, 2020, 06:08 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
What firearm have you replaced as technology evolves?
None.

Old May 22, 2020, 06:51 PM   #13
Adventurer 2

Early 90s I bought a boat paddle Ruger 270 from the drug store on Colorado Avenue, CO Springs - replaced a wood stocked beat up Browning 270. I liked the stainless barrel and zytel stock for the all weather feature. Not too long ago I replaced that Ruger with a match grade, free floated, cerakoted, synthetic stocked [w arimid grippies], Nosler 270.
Old May 23, 2020, 01:02 AM   #14
Ignition Override

Went from about six guns chambered in 9x18 Makarov to 9 mm handguns.

And the Sig P6, Walther P99 AS and CZ PCR, plus the 'new' all-stainless steel S&W 5906 (DA/SA) have better DA triggers than most of the 9x18-chambered guns.
Old May 23, 2020, 06:46 AM   #15
jmr40

My Sig 365 has replaced a lot of guns. I like the 1911 style safety, with 10 round magazines it is smaller than my G43, and with 12 round magazines fills the role of my G19. It is just as accurate as the bigger Glock.

Winston Churchill
Old May 23, 2020, 06:47 AM   #16
Hal

I (sort of) replaced my S&W M29 - an N frome (large frame) .44 magnum with a S&W M69 .

Dirty Harry aside - carrying a Smith N frame, even a 4" barreled one, around under a jacket in a shoulder holster isn't something anyone wants to do - - more than just a little.

S&W finally delivered a .44 caliber gun in a much more carry friendly medium frame - their L frame.
They further got around to making it in a snub nose version.

Then, finally, the demand for the snub nose version dropped to the point that one actually showed up in a local gun store.

I see this as a technological evolution - for manufacturing.
My only alternative to something such as this was to sacrifice a full sized M629 - and have a gunsmith build me a snub nose.
The price tag on that was enormous.
Old May 23, 2020, 07:46 AM   #17
TBM900

The only firearm I've ever truly replaced has been Glock.
My last stint as a Sheriff they had been using G19's.
So at the first opportunity I replaced the entire issue with Steyr's.
Everyone loved the change, even after my tenure ended upon retirement.
They have since timed those out and are now running the Steyr A2's
Old May 23, 2020, 09:44 AM   #18
jonnyc

BHP > Makarov > CZ82 > P228 > CZ82 > 43X ..............
Old May 23, 2020, 09:51 AM   #19
ammo.crafter

Replaced

Carried a Hi Power for years but recently switched to a SIG SP2022 9mm.
Just fits perfectly in my hand, has more round capacity, and is lighter.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:38 AM   #20
RickB

Other than changing materials and manufacturing processes, guns haven't really changed, or advanced, in 100 years.
The newest guns on the market are still using Browning's tilting barrel, and a hammerless striker mechanism like a Luger.

I've changed from an all-steel .45 to an alloy-framed 9mm for carry, and that is due to advancements in ammo design, but if I thought the chances were higher than normal that I'd need a gun (thinking of the Saturday night I drove a buddy to the wrong side of the tracks to retrieve his stolen car), I'd go back to the .45.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:21 AM   #21
URIT

I retired my Colt Detective Special from BUG duty to safe security. I like the all-metal, single stack S&W Gen3 DAO models for concealed carry, so my new primary carry choice is either an S&W Model 3953 or 4053.
Old May 23, 2020, 03:57 PM   #22
Obambulate

Moved to .22 WMR for carry once the short-barrel ammo performance improved.
Old May 25, 2020, 10:06 AM   #23
pete2

I have "evolved" all the way up to the S&W revolver, I have a G19, Ruger LC9, FS92, hve owned Ruger P95 P97, Star PD, Taurus 40 cal. Finally evolved to the 642, have 2 of them. The only one I still own that is worthless to me as a carry gun is the G19, too big, eats my trigger finger and has no safety.
If I decide to carry in a holster it will be a lightweight commander or Model 19 revolver.
Old May 26, 2020, 03:46 PM   #24
Atticus Thraxx

None. But that I can hook my borescope to my smartphone still just tickles the heck out of me. And I can take video and email it! I'm old, so that's still cool to me.

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!
Old May 26, 2020, 08:13 PM   #25
MikeG

I have had a Ruger P95DC for many years. But they've been discontinued, parts and accessories may become scarce. I bought a Glock 19 to replace it as primary. While the Ruger is still a good pistol, the G19 is a bit more compact in some dimensions and lighter.