The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 10, 2020, 11:04 PM   #1
Koda94

Rifle Barrel Cleaning, how long till damage?

Ive heard its better to not clean your rifle barrels before using to preserve accuracy. How long can you go before lead or fouling corrode or damage the barrel?
Old May 10, 2020, 11:53 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Modern ammunition won't cause damage to a barrel other than normal wear.

Lead, copper and carbon fouling may cause accuracy issues if there is sufficient buildup, but they don't cause any damage. Conceivably, in extreme conditions, (perhaps lots of humidity) fouling in the bore could hold moisture and make the bore more prone to corrode, but in practice that's unlikely.

Cleaning a rifle barrel properly won't hurt accuracy, but it's common for the first shot or two from a freshly cleaned bore to shoot to a slightly different point of aim until the bore gets a little bit of fouling buildup.
Old May 10, 2020, 11:58 PM   #3
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
but it's common for the first shot or two from a freshly cleaned bore to shoot to a slightly different point of aim until the bore gets a little bit of fouling buildup.
This is what Im trying to avoid, but it sounds like there isnt a corrosion issue but rather a limit on too much buildup eventually, can have the same effect....?
Old May 11, 2020, 01:27 AM   #4
tangolima

I don't clean the bore after each range session. You see, I clean the fouling, but I have to put in back on before I can shoot the gun for effect next time. It could take as many as 10 fouling shots. So why?

Instead, I just keep shooting till either one of these two happens; the forearm is put back to safe for storage, the accuracy degrades.

When I clean, I don't go nuts with the brush trying to scrub the bore. My nylon brush is just a solvent applicator. I let the chemicals do their job.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 11, 2020, 09:54 AM   #5
jmr40

I usually clean my rifles barrels shortly before hunting season, but will make at least one range trip to fire a few rounds through each one to verify the zero and to foul the barrel. During hunting season I don't clean the barrel even if I go to the range a few times or shoot at game.

Unless the rifle gets wet from hunting in rainy weather. Then I'll clean it, but won't use that rifle again until I confirm zero and foul the barrel again. It PROBABLY won't change and if it does it probably won't be by much, but it could, and I just feel better to verify before hunting with it. I will clean and lubricate the action to keep crud out after every shooting session as well as wiping down the exterior, but the barrels don't get cleaned unless needed

After hunting season I get to the range quite a bit in the winter, spring and early summer before weather gets too hot. If I note group sizes getting larger I will clean the barrels. Each barrel is different, some build up copper and lead faster than others. Some need to be cleaned after 100 rounds, others can go 500+.

If I get everything out to clean one, I will go ahead and clean all of my rifles at once. Most of them get the barrels cleaned at least twice a year. In addition to shortly before hunting season I'll clean them real good at some point in the spring.

If done properly it doesn't hurt anything to clean them more often. It just isn't needed, and you can damage the rifling if you get careless. Back in the days of corrosive powder and primers it was vital to keep everything perfectly clean to prevent rust.

Winston Churchill
Old May 11, 2020, 04:07 PM   #6
hub1home

Clean that rifle! But you don't have to clean it after every session. I have gone as long as500 to 1,000 rounds with an SP-1. With my hunting rifles, it depends on the weather. If it has rained, I clean it as soon as I get home as everyone should.
Old May 11, 2020, 07:41 PM   #7
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Modern ammunition won't cause damage to a barrel other than normal wear.

Lead, copper and carbon fouling may cause accuracy issues if there is sufficient buildup, but they don't cause any damage. Conceivably, in extreme conditions, (perhaps lots of humidity) fouling in the bore could hold moisture and make the bore more prone to corrode, but in practice that's unlikely.

Cleaning a rifle barrel properly won't hurt accuracy, but it's common for the first shot or two from a freshly cleaned bore to shoot to a slightly different point of aim until the bore gets a little bit of fouling buildup.
I agree. Modern ammunition will not cause a barrel to rust, but it also will not prevent rust. Leaving rifle bores fouled can allow them to rust if humidity is not ideal.
I used to leave my bores fouled throughout deer season. After I had a bore rust on me, I quit. I have started using synthetic bore protector that dries completely dry. In most of my hunting rifles this bore protector gives same clean bore as fouled bore POI. My 257 Wby is a bit of an exception. It needs to be 4 shots fouled.
Cleaning a good barrel properly wont hurt accuracy. Some of the cheap, rough barrels love to have Cu in them.
Old May 12, 2020, 09:49 AM   #8
Bart B.

I've never had to shoot several fouling shots through squeaky clean centerfire rifle barrels of good quality. First 1 or 2 shots typically leave a few fps slower and strikes a fourth to a third MOA lower. After 30 shots dry bronze brushing back and forth a few cycles followed by a patch restores gilt edge accuracy. After a days shooting, same thing plus using bore cleaner.

Rimfire barrels treated the same but needs several shots to "season" the clean barrel as the first few shots from a cleaned one go out faster then strike a couple MOA high.

It's not the bullet metal that damages and wears out barrels. For center fire barrels, it's the hot gasses at high pressure eroding the chamber throat like a cutting torch to the point it unbalances bullets. Rimfire barrel throats are eroded away by abrasive glass frit in the primers that act like sandpaper in the throat unbalancing lead bullets the same way.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 12, 2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old May 12, 2020, 09:13 PM   #9
rickyrick

I just run a push up it for a after shooting for while, that’s it. Eventually there comes a point where one might need to get the copper out. I zero everything for a cold fouled bore.
I clean and lube the moving parts often, bores not so much.

Always check the bore.
Once I had gone a while without checking my carry pistol, one day I decided to clean it and I was shocked to find a full zip tie folded in half the barrel. I don’t know how it got in there, although I do use zip ties daily. I don’t think much would have happened if fired, but not a chance I wanna take.
Old May 13, 2020, 01:23 PM   #10
10-96

Reading up on David Tubb's use of HBN has led me to start experimenting with it. With a HBN conditioned bore, fouling shots aren't needed. And, HBN doesn't attract moisture like molly does, and it's nowhere near as messy as molly.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.