The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 29, 2020, 06:17 PM   #51
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/m-16-made-mattel/

We had some old A1s loaned to us from DOD yhrough some kind of grant program. They had Mattel plainly stamped on them.
Stamped on them where? Because the link you posted seems to contradict your claim...

Quote:
The Mattel legend was undoubtedly fed by the fact that Mattel really did sell an M-16 Marauder toy gun in the mid-1960s, a quite good reproduction of the actual weapon, complete with “realistic” sound effects:
Quote:
To the troops in the field, the original M-16 was new, it was small, it was light, it was made of plastic rather than wood, and it often performed poorly to boot. It was no surprise that many of them started expressing their dissatisfaction by referring to it derisively as a cheaply-made “toy,” and that they associated it with the most prominent toy company of the time: Mattel, the Hawthorne, California, toy manufacturer famous for introducing the Barbie doll to the world:
The only reference was that Mattel might have made the pistol grip... and yet no pictures or proof seem to exist.

Mattel never made real firearms. However, memories can fade.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; April 29, 2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old April 30, 2020, 12:01 AM   #52
44 AMP
Staff

Did a small search here and there has been a lot of discussion about Mattel and the M16, including one thread from 2001 where individuals clamed, they had one, that the word "Mattel" was without the Mattel logo, and one that claimed that Mattel made the first molds for Armalite's plastic furniture.

Sadly a photo is no longer conclusive proof, though as far as I know no one has yet provided one of a stock, pistol grip or forearm with the word "Mattel" on it.

As far as I'm concerned, until a see a verifiably "undoctored" picture of a pistol grip saying Mattel in a package with the FSN, I'll have my doubts.

The military has had a LOT of gun parts, and some entire guns made by companies who are not usually gun makers. M16s (lowers anyway) from GM, 4.2" mortar tubes from Whirlpool, Rock-o-la M1 carbines, Singer .45s to name just a few.

IF, by "favorite myth" you mean the one I feel is most untrue yet constantly repeated, then it would be the myth that stopping power is a quantifiable thing that can be placed on a numeric scale and consistently applied to every shot from a given load and caliber.
Old April 30, 2020, 12:31 PM   #53
bipe215

There may have been some plastic parts with "Mattel" stamped on them, but Mattel didn't do it. Letter stamps are a common tool in armories, and it wouldn't be surprising that some armorers had some fun with them. But there is not one single shred of proof anywhere that Mattel made M-16 parts. No factory workers, designers, no contracts, no build sheets, not even a single part on gunbroker or ebay EVER.
Old April 30, 2020, 03:07 PM   #54
Bart B.

Another favorite.....

Fluting barrels makes them stiffer.

Why?

Metal has been removed that resisted bending.

However, they will cool down a few percent faster.

Last edited by Bart B.; April 30, 2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old April 30, 2020, 03:36 PM   #55
ATN082268

One of my favorite myths is that you don't have to aim a shotgun
Old April 30, 2020, 08:06 PM   #56
zukiphile

My least favorite myth:

Relax. No one is coming for your guns.
Old April 30, 2020, 08:10 PM   #57
TXAZ

"I didn't think it was loaded"
Old April 30, 2020, 09:54 PM   #58
TheGunGeek

This is the last gun I'm going to buy.
Old May 1, 2020, 03:44 PM   #59
Scorch

Quote:
Why?
Same reason fluting makes barrels more accurate. Cause I paid money for it so don't tell me it doesn't!
Taylor Machine
Old May 1, 2020, 04:39 PM   #60
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipe215 View Post
There may have been some plastic parts with "Mattel" stamped on them, but Mattel didn't do it. Letter stamps are a common tool in armories, and it wouldn't be surprising that some armorers had some fun with them. But there is not one single shred of proof anywhere that Mattel made M-16 parts. No factory workers, designers, no contracts, no build sheets, not even a single part on gunbroker or ebay EVER.
Technically, it would be illegal to sell parts from a Govt M-16 on gunbroker or e-bay unless it was first sold surplus. Were any sold surplus to the public? I doubt it. Any that went to L.E. cant be sold.
Old May 1, 2020, 04:42 PM   #61
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
My least favorite myth:

Relax. No one is coming for your guns.
I'd say that one is more of a blatant lie than a myth
Old May 1, 2020, 07:08 PM   #62
bipe215

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
Technically, it would be illegal to sell parts from a Govt M-16 on gunbroker or e-bay unless it was first sold surplus. Were any sold surplus to the public? I doubt it. Any that went to L.E. cant be sold.

Sarco sold a lot of surplus kits with Vietnam era furniture
Old May 1, 2020, 07:39 PM   #63
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Technically, it would be illegal to sell parts from a Govt M-16 on gunbroker or e-bay unless it was first sold surplus.
If the parts had been IN an M16 (and there's no way to prove that, unless you maintain chain of custody from the time the parts were removed, there is no way to prove they were in an M16), then you have a point.

If they had been in Govt parts stock, (not physically in a rifle) they could well have been sold as surplus, or as scrap, and be legal to own, with a few exceptions.

Certain "M16 only" parts are regulated as machine gun parts in some places.
Old May 1, 2020, 07:46 PM   #64
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipe215 View Post
Sarco sold a lot of surplus kits with Vietnam era furniture
The only Sarco parts kits I know of came from 1980s production. No early parts there.
Old May 1, 2020, 09:13 PM   #65
bipe215

These claim to be Vietnam era, who knows?

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-...a-grade-b.aspx
Old May 1, 2020, 09:59 PM   #66
sgtgeorge

I'll second that.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:46 PM   #67
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Exactly. a .223 tumbling through the air can be factual.
As can any caliber.

I actually shot out a Colt barrel such that it would no longer stabilize 5.56 ammo reliably. I was getting 1 foot groups at 50 yards, mostly keyholed shots.
Old May 2, 2020, 02:57 PM   #68
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
These claim to be Vietnam era, who knows?

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-...a-grade-b.aspx
From the picture in the link, the parts are the correct looking ones for the claimed era.

If it floats your boat and your wallet is fat, go for it. Personally, I wouldn't pay $350 for that collection of used and slightly damaged crap, but, that's just me.
Old May 2, 2020, 09:36 PM   #69
Forte S+W

"9mm Luger is just as good as [insert more powerful cartridge here]."

Especially when it comes to other cartridges which launch a heavier 9mm bullet at higher velocity like .38 Super, .357 SIG, and .357 Magnum.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:04 PM   #70
Bart B.

Another popular myth.....

You can "zero" scope's windage and elevation adjustments to center the inside erector tube and its lenses on the scope's outer main tube's optical-mechanical axis by setting them midpoint in their physical limits.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:04 AM   #71
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Another favorite.....

Why?

Metal has been removed that resisted bending.
I suspect this one started when someone was sloppy when they restated a manufacturer claim.

It is true that fluted barrels are stiffer than unfluted barrels that weigh the same. That is, take two barrels in the same caliber, length and weight and made of the same material. The fluted one will be stiffer.

But of course, it's a lot easier to just state that the barrel is fluted so that it's stiffer. Which is wrong. It's fluted so that it's lighter, but still maintains more stiffness than it would if it were merely turned down to a smaller diameter, though not as much as it would if it were simply left unfluted.
Quote:
Correct. In spite of the longevity and ubiquity of the claim, no verifiable evidence has ever been presented that Mattel was ever involved in any way in making any firearm parts. Nor has anyone ever been able to locate or present any Mattel stamped firearm parts, or any verifiable photos of any such parts. It is possible some were stamped as a joke, but not even any of those have ever been found/presented for examination/confirmation.
Old May 3, 2020, 09:36 AM   #72
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B. View Post
Another popular myth.....

You can "zero" scope's windage and elevation adjustments to center the inside erector tube and its lenses on the scope's outer main tube's optical-mechanical axis by setting them midpoint in their physical limits.
Yep. Maybe 1 in 1000 might just happen to be the same.
Old May 3, 2020, 09:48 AM   #73
Bart B.

Here's another scope myth:

Windage and elevation internal adjustments per click are exactly as their specs state.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:19 AM   #74
Kreyzhorse

The assault weapon myth is the one that really gets me. It's widely spread, totally inaccurate and is a great example of how propaganda works.
Old May 3, 2020, 11:00 AM   #75
Pahoo

Gun Violence

Quoting a recent comment from one of our locals mayors and others as well.
Quote:
We have got to do something about our city's "Gun Violence"
Be Safe !!!