The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 11, 2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Elliottsdad

Substantial DEEP concealment

If he or she got caught carrying at work, they would definitely lose their job, and most likely go to jail. However, places like his or her work have been the targets of choice for mass shooters frequently.
Theoretically, he or she might consider carrying a firearm anyway, despite the regulations against it. But he or she wants to keep the job, and not go to jail.
Theoretically, if the person wanted to carry deep, deep, deep, but substantially (not a NAA mini), what would his or her best options be? .22 mag Jframe? .32 ACP? How would he or she carry? Ankle?
This is all theoretical, of course.

Last edited by Elliottsdad; December 11, 2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old December 11, 2019, 02:00 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, eh?

The least gun I have for carry is a Keltec .32.
It is about invisible in a pocket holster in my khakis.
Don't put anything in with it and get used to it so you don't pull it out inadvertently going for your keys.

There are bra holsters for women.
https://www.flashbangstore.com/produ...SAAEgJsQfD_BwE

Look for Chick Gaylord's book Handgunner's Guide. He put holsters all over. He could go to a police convention, let a cop frisk him and still come up with one or more guns.
Old December 11, 2019, 02:18 PM   #3
labnoti

Concealment depends mostly on clothing, not the gun.
Old December 11, 2019, 02:18 PM   #4
CDW4ME

If I wanted to carry in a non-permissive (but legal) environment (job/work) and wasn't subject to metal detectors I "think" Smartcarry would work, even if I wasn't a guy:

Disclaimer: My post for entertainment purposes only.
Old December 11, 2019, 02:28 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Far more likely to just be fired rather than charged with a felony. The question is, "Do you ever want to work in that industry/profession again?" Getting fired for cause will end your career.
Iowa says your boss can disallow CCW while on company premises, but there's doesn't appear to be a crime involved. Iowa currently says, no firearms permitted on the grounds of any school though. Pending legislation may change that.
https://www.blr.com/HR-Employment/He...kplace-in-Iowa
Also more likely to be shot by frightened LEO if he/she was brandishing the thing during an incident too.
One's ankle is a really bad place to carry a handgun. Far too difficult to get at in a hurry.
Old December 11, 2019, 03:07 PM   #6
obiwan1

I did that for years. Thunderwear with PPK or pocket holster with PPK or Jframe worked very well. Were I to ever need to shop at Brooks Brothers again and become gainfully employed, I'd go with the same mode of carry with a single stack 9mm.
Old December 11, 2019, 04:11 PM   #7
AK103K

Ive been carrying daily in NPE's for a couple of decades now. The Smart Carry holsters work great, and allow you to easily carry something like a Glock 26 with a 17 reload along, comfortably, for 12-14 hour days, in a very active, physical environment.
Old December 11, 2019, 08:25 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliottsdad
Theoretically, if the person wanted to carry deep, deep, deep, but substantially (not a NAA mini), what would his or her best options be? .22 mag Jframe? .32 ACP? How would he or she carry? Ankle?
Theoretically, I used to know a guy who might (theoretically) have carried a Colt Government 380 in Thunderware (which is essentially the same thing as the "Smartcarry" discussed by CDW4Me in post #4).

For females, I was discussing concealed carry just a couple of days ago with someone who reported that his daughter (a night shift nurse) and most of her colleagues may (theoretically) carry in the bra equivalent of the Smartcarry. He didn't provide any statistics as to caliber or size of firearm, but I would imagine something like a small Kel-Tec polymer, single-stack .380.

http://handgunpodcast.com/best-bra-holster

https://www.gungoddess.com/products/...ng-bra-holster
Jeepaholic
Old December 11, 2019, 10:03 PM   #9
Cosmodragoon

First, the obvious advice. Don't do anything illegal. Don't do something that could substantially jeopardize your life or career.

Beyond that, the main considerations are what you wear and what kinds of physical demands you have on the job. That'll set the parameters for what you can reasonably conceal.

If you can carry a J-frame or an LCR, that's a solid option. Since size is the same, you can dismiss the idea of rimfire. Choose caliber based on the most power you can comfortably shoot well.
Old December 11, 2019, 11:42 PM   #10
Onward Allusion

Aside from NAA Minis, the smallest pistols out there in terms of dimensions are, Seecamp 32, P32, P3AT, Pico, & LCP I. P32 is the lightest of the bunch. Toss it in a pocket holster and stuff it in the back pocket of a pair of jeans.
Old December 12, 2019, 07:29 AM   #11
Nanuk

How about Kangaroo carry?

https://www.kangaroocarry.com/
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 12, 2019, 07:58 AM   #12
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliottsdad View Post
If he or she got caught carrying at work, they would definitely lose their job, and most likely go to jail. However, places like his or her work have been the targets of choice for mass shooters frequently.
Theoretically, he or she might consider carrying a firearm anyway, despite the regulations against it. But he or she wants to keep the job, and not go to jail.
Not sure where 'carrying at work' would be jail....Unless in a Government or public school...BUT carrying at a private business, doesn't mean jail..Private business'.

BUT, good holster and a Glock44->

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 12, 2019, 08:31 AM   #13
Elliottsdad

LOL
Old December 12, 2019, 09:13 AM   #14
ammo.crafter

hide out

AMT Back Up .380 single stack was the one I carried for many years in a pocket holster.
Old December 12, 2019, 09:26 AM   #15
USNRet93

Not advocating anything illegal but pretty sure a 'few' teachers CCW with an ankle holster with trousers long enough so no printing when they sit down or women teachers in their purse/bag...

Bugs me to no end that my grand daughter's small grade school(K-5, about 300 students) is so 'soft', with no "RO"...in the middle of a neighborhood...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 12, 2019, 09:46 AM   #16
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Not advocating anything illegal....
Not to get off-topic here, but if a "law" violates your "rights", isnt it your duty to violate the law and exercise your right?
Old December 12, 2019, 10:19 AM   #17
reddog81

What's the dress code? Blue jeans are a lot easier to work with than dress pants.

How many rounds? I've got a 38 Special derringer that's so small you forget it's there, but it's only got 2 shots and reloads aren't easy.
Old December 12, 2019, 10:48 AM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K
Not to get off-topic here, but if a "law" violates your "rights", isnt it your duty to violate the law and exercise your right?
Laws are laws, and should not be put in quotation marks as if they aren't real. If a duly enacted law violates your rights, IMHO your duty is to obey the law while doing everything in your power to get that law rescinded or revised.

The rules of this forum prohibit advocating unlawful acts. Please remember that.
Jeepaholic
Old December 12, 2019, 10:52 AM   #19
Elliottsdad

Quote:
if a "law" violates your "rights", isnt it your duty to violate the law and exercise your right?
This cat reads minds.
Old December 12, 2019, 10:59 AM   #20
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Laws are laws, and should not be put in quotation marks as if they aren't real. If a duly enacted law violates your rights, IMHO your duty is to obey the law while doing everything in your power to get that law rescinded or revised.

The rules of this forum prohibit advocating unlawful acts. Please remember that.
No doubt you should and do try to make things right, but when you consider that the powers that be continue to violate our rights, with technically illegal laws, what are you supposed to do? Weve been dealing with such gun laws for almost a century now, and here we are.

And as far as the forum rules, not trying to step on them, but just in this thread, even the "staff" are tip toeing around them.
Old December 13, 2019, 09:15 AM   #21
DMK

I think Paul Harrell makes a very good point when he says "Only you can decide what's best for you". He also tends to say things like "Nothing I say here should be taken as a recommendation".

Regarding deep concealment, I like the Crossbreed modular belly band a lot. Notice that it has kydex holster shells for different guns and that the band wraps around the holster. That not only adds versatility, but also increases safety and security of the weapon. The trigger is covered with stiff kydex for protection against AD and the gun is not going to fall out of the holster if it is used properly.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/m...elly-band.html

We've all seen the videos of the guns falling out of holsters in public and the guy who had an in-holster AD when he leaned up against a counter. Don't be that person.

Last edited by DMK; December 13, 2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old December 13, 2019, 09:26 AM   #22
OhioGuy

I won't comment on the ethics of the posed scenario, but to the mechanics of it, the 3 Speed Holster works well for deep concealment, although it's a bit bulky and has a lot of material. It's custom fitted to your particular model.

For DEEP concealment, you wear it low so that the entire holster disappears down the front of your pants. Tuck the shirt in behind the holster, and to draw, you pull the belt out with one hand and shove the other hand literally down into your pants to draw the gun.

From my experience, you either need a very small gun (like LCP size) that can fit entirely and easily below your belt, and is very thin so it doesn't look weird, or you need a small revolver riding slightly higher with the grip tucked under your shirt but above the belt.

For an in-between gun, like Shield or PPS, for me they were too large to be truly deep concealment, but too hard to draw when they rode a bit higher. The belt interferes with getting your hand on the weapon. The revolver gets around this by having a curved, hook-shaped grip that can be grabbed even when the rest of the gun is buried. This is where a fitted holster like 3 Speed is handy -- I think with something like a smart carry, the cylinder will snag under your belt.
Old December 13, 2019, 09:29 AM   #23
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
How about Kangaroo carry?

https://www.kangaroocarry.com/
If they need to advertise their holsters using pinup models, is it really a good product?
Old December 13, 2019, 09:32 AM   #24
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
If I wanted to carry in a non-permissive (but legal) environment (job/work) and wasn't subject to metal detectors I "think" Smartcarry would work, even if I wasn't a guy:

Disclaimer: My post for entertainment purposes only.
As pictured, drawing this small semi-auto would be quite difficult because the grip is under the belt. It would be a matter of clearing the shirt, then pulling out the belt, then hopefully gripping the weapon without the shirt getting back in the way again...

If this sort of holster can be worn low enough, with the whole rig down below the belt, then you can grab it without having to untuck the shirt first. But I think it requires the smallest gun one can get, likely a little .380.
Old December 13, 2019, 10:47 AM   #25
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
As pictured, drawing this small semi-auto would be quite difficult because the grip is under the belt. It would be a matter of clearing the shirt, then pulling out the belt, then hopefully gripping the weapon without the shirt getting back in the way again...

If this sort of holster can be worn low enough, with the whole rig down below the belt, then you can grab it without having to untuck the shirt first. But I think it requires the smallest gun one can get, likely a little .380.
You really need to try one to understand them. I think most of the complaints and doubts come from those who have never used one.

I started with my first Smart Carry using my Seecamp for work, and it worked as advertised and very well.

I soon realized I could carry one of my Glock 26's (with a 17 reload) just as easily, and have been doing so for about a decade now.

When worn properly, the shirt does not get in the way, nor does the belt or pants, and you can easily draw the gun, with a proper grip, and with just one hand, even while sitting. Its easier than trying to draw from a pocket too.

Its very comfortable, for a 16 hour day, and is actually the only holster Ive ever worn, that the gun actually stays "clean" in. No dust, dirt, or dust bunnies.

Depending on the type of pants you wear, you can actually get away with up to a full-sized gun too. It tends to not be as comfortable, and the pants limit you more to dress type or oversized pants.

I normally wear my regular size Carhartt or Dickies type carpenter pants, which are more fitted/flat across the front, and the 26 with its 17 reload, are about perfect size-wise.

Ive carried guns as big as a Glock 19 and SIG P239 in one with no problems, wearing those looser type pants. Theres no doubt, the smaller you go the easier its probably going to be, but the fact is, you dont have to limit yourself and go down in size to guns that are usually relegated to second and third line back up. You can easily and comfortably, carry a more realistic and effective gun.

Now, there is one thing that may cause a holster of this type to be less effective, to even not useable at all for you, and it has nothing to do, with the gun, the holster, or your dress.