The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 10, 2019, 08:40 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

“Gun Safety” Groups Don’t Teach Gun Safety

https://bearingarms.com/came/2019/12...afety-classes/

A funny story about a judge trying to order a defendant to take a gun safety class and learning, to her discomfort, that the only organization offering gun safety classes was the NRA.

Also a great reminder that these “gun safety” groups view “gun safety” as getting rid of all guns and have zero interest in practical safety programs as a result.
Old December 10, 2019, 11:36 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Where's my shocked face? I know I had it here ... somewhere.
Jeepaholic
Old December 11, 2019, 01:22 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

You've missed the "fine print" (Not to be read aloud!)

They are NOT groups with the purpose of making us safe WITH guns their purpose is to make us safe FROM guns!

The NRA formed in 1871 and the primary mission was to teach marksmanship and safety.

My father taught the NRA Hunter Safety course for decades. From the time I was big enough to carry a box of papers or a gun from the house to the car and back, I was involved to some degree.

Govt did not do this, private people did this. A private club (the NRA) not only was about the only people doing it, their course was accepted by the STATE as sufficient. If you had never had a state hunting license there were only two accepted things and you had to have one in order to get a hunting license. One was a hunting license from another state. The other was the NRA certificate that you passed their Hunter Safety Course.

The course was free. The NRA supplied all the paperwork. Neither my Dad or any of the other guys who did it ever got paid a dime, and they didn't expect to be.

but that was back in the 60s and 70s and we were a different country, then.
Old December 11, 2019, 01:32 AM   #4
jimbob86

Quote:
The course was free. The NRA supplied all the paperwork. Neither my Dad or any of the other guys who did it ever got paid a dime, and they didn't expect to be.

44, it's still that way around here - It's not an NRA only show, though .....they support it, along with Pheasants Forever, NWTF, NSSF, and others ..... Nebraska Game and Parks administers it, but it's all done by unpaid volunteers.
Old December 11, 2019, 08:32 AM   #5
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Some snipped-

And the NRA was 'different' then too...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 11, 2019, 03:02 PM   #6
Pahoo

Should happen more often !!!

Quote:
A funny story about a judge trying to order a defendant to take a gun safety class and learning, to her discomfort, that the only organization offering gun safety classes was the NRA.
Not really a new practice as I have taught on at least two different occasions, young folks that were mandated by the courts to attend a Hunter Safety Class. I mostly teach safe gun handling and most shooting stations. The student's names were kept confidential and only known to our local DNR officer. I thought that it was a great idea and as noted, the NRA started our hunter ed. programs as well as most others. Our early literature even carried the NRA logos. …….

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 11, 2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old December 11, 2019, 07:16 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

After the Newtown shooting, gun-control advocates did some focus group testing, and they decided to co-opt the phrase "gun safety" to refer to their efforts. Among the people leading the campaign to popularize the phrase was Amy Schumer, who totally isn't famous because her cousin is the famous Senator and gun-control advocate.
Old December 13, 2019, 07:40 AM   #8
straightShot

Years ago, I offered to buy Eddie Eagle gun safety materials for kids in grades 1-3 at a local school. I showed an example packet of the class materials that told kids not touch a gun that they encountered and to walk away and tell an adult. It was a simple message that might resonate with some of the kids. The principal said that she thought that it was a great idea to get this message across. Once she found out that the NRA produced the materials, however, she squashed the whole thing.
Old December 13, 2019, 08:30 AM   #9
pete2

Anti-gun groups do not offer gun safety classes. They are not about gun safety, they are about banning guns.
Old December 13, 2019, 10:30 AM   #10
DaleA

Quote:
When People Cried "Someone Do Something!" We Did.
Back in 2012 the NRA introduced the School Shield program.

IMhO schools that refuse to look at this program because it's from the NRA show an IRRATIONAL fear/hatred of the NRA that is just plain IRRATIONAL.

A link to the program is here:
https://www.nraschoolshield.org/
Old December 13, 2019, 11:12 AM   #11
Pahoo

No one loves the NRA and so what !!!

Quote:
Once she found out that the NRA produced the materials, however, she squashed the whole thing.
That is what we encountered when we presented this idea to our school. They would not even look at the material. If they had, they would have found out how benign it is. They did not care about the substance, only it's origin. My Daughter is a teacher and they get a lot of negative pressure from the parents. No one loves the NRA and too many hate it, for their reasons. …..

However, as I've stated before, I have teach Hunter Ed. as well as other conservation kids' programs and that's where I do my best to make then aware of their safety and rights. I take a few liberties.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 13, 2019, 11:27 AM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA
Back in 2012 the NRA introduced the School Shield program.

IMhO schools that refuse to look at this program because it's from the NRA show an IRRATIONAL fear/hatred of the NRA that is just plain IRRATIONAL.

A link to the program is here:
https://www.nraschoolshield.org/
DaleA is offline Add Infraction for DaleA Report Post IP Edit Message
And, like so many NRA initiatives, the School Shield program is rather messed up.

As an instructor holding a half dozen NRA certifications and as a licensed architect who has worked in multiple firms that design schools, I thought I would be an asset to the School Shield program. So I reached out to the NRA to inquire about becoming certified for School Shield. First, it wasn't easy to find out who to contact. It wasn't impossible, but they didn't make it easy.

When I did finally establish communication, it was short-lived. Bottom line -- they only want cops. IMHO this is dumb as a box of rocks. An effective school preparation plan (which is really what this is) involves a lot more than a cop creating a tactical response plan. The plan can't disable building and fiire code requirements. That means the survey team has to understand building and fire codes (as architects, we deal with those every day). You have to understand how alarm systems work. You have to understand doors and locks. (How many of you are aware that the locks on school classroom doors don't work the same as the lock on the front door on your house? Locks are classified by function, and a "classroom" function lock may be built much the same as a "residential entrance" lock, but the way it locks and unlocks is different.) We deal with those issues every day, too.

So, not only could there be a place on every School Shield survey team for an architect, it should (IMHO) be mandatory. But the NRA didn't want to talk to me. I was left with the impression that School Shield was like the Carry Guard program (which I was also unable to get certified for) -- something that was dreamed up by a few members of the inner circle, and reserved for them and their cronies.
Jeepaholic
Old December 14, 2019, 05:51 AM   #13
bill460

For the anti gun community, "Gun Safety" has never been about "safety". It's always revolved around gun confiscation. The NRA has been saying that for decades. And everyone said they were just over reacting. Then Beto came along and proved them right..... "Hell YES we're going to take your AR-15 and AK-47!!"
Old December 14, 2019, 06:33 AM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

The antigun crowd considers "safety from guns" to be a form of "gun safety."
Old December 25, 2019, 09:08 PM   #15
langenc

""Years ago, I offered to buy Eddie Eagle gun safety materials for kids in grades 1-3 at a local school. I showed an example packet of the class materials that told kids not touch a gun that they encountered and to walk away and tell an adult. It was a simple message that might resonate with some of the kids. The principal said that she thought that it was a great idea to get this message across. Once she found out that the NRA produced the materials, however, she squashed the whole thing. "" copied from above

Should have pressured the principal to get the NEA to produce some similar pamphlets.

Try getting those programs to kids thru Scouts and other kids groups. Wont get em all but some/many.