The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 27, 2010, 09:26 PM   #1
antwarpes

Para-Ord Long Slide 1911 "Super Hawg" - Round Feeding Issues

Hello Everyone,

I hope someone may be able to help me with my problem, before sending the gun back to the manufacturer.

I was about to trade in my XDM-9 for a FNP-Tactical when my father stopped me and suggested I wait until after Christmas. Apparently as payback for spending way too much for him last Christmas, he had gone and bought me a new Para-Ord "Super Hawg."

Its an absolutely gorgeous weapon, with a 6" barrel and 14 round capacity magazines. The details are on Para's website. I have to say that I absolutely love it. However...

I keep getting a round feeding issue. I've attached a picture that will save me about 1000 words. The problem often occurs on the last round, but can happen at any time. Even if i cycle through the magazine- round after round without firing, this jam up will often occur.

So far I've fired only 300 rounds through it. Is this a normal break in problem for 1911s or Paras? I used a variety of ammo, all 230gr FMJ. Federal, PMC, Remington, Remington UMC.

Here is the picture.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5130/...7b97717bdf.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael
Old December 27, 2010, 09:56 PM   #2
rem1858

Michael;

A few things come to mind, but instead of typing it all out, a phone call to me would do you wonders, perhaps.

The 1911 platform is very good and the reliability can be made better with some simple fine tuning.

Do not get me wrong on 1911's, my personal carry weapon is a Para P14-45.
I also shoot Bullseye 2700 competition with an accurized 1911.

They all have their querks, and when you are done tuning them, they are real hard to beat.

Send me a PM and I will give you my cel # and we can discuss what I believe may be going on.

Clarence
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
Old December 27, 2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Rugerismisticness

Does it go to battery after tapping the rear of the slide? If so, you could try a heavier spring. Polishing the chamber/light lube on the rounds might fix it aswell.
Old December 28, 2010, 10:27 AM   #4
antwarpes

No, I have to pull back on the slide slightly to jog the round about before it will wiggle into place. Just pushing or tapping on the slide does not work.
Old December 28, 2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Amin Parker

Does it happen with all the magazines for the pistol?
Old December 28, 2010, 11:55 AM   #6
antwarpes

It came with two 14 round magazines, and it happens with both.
Old December 28, 2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Amin Parker

Then i have to suspect recoil spring not being strong enough.

Do you have a recoil buffer fitted by any chance?
Old December 28, 2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Rinspeed

Have you checked the extractor tension.
Old December 28, 2010, 02:18 PM   #9
FALacy

I would check the magazines, extractor tension, and as said the recoil spring. I don't think it would be the recoil spring, though. Some high cap Paras can sometimes be a little tempermental, but with some tuning they'll run reliably. Try and look at the extractor and the round to see if it is sliding under it, or if it's stuck half way. It may be under too much tension or too little tension.
Old December 28, 2010, 02:29 PM   #10
riggins_83

Extractor tension is a leading cause of such issues.

I'd also recommend trying a better magazine such as the Wilson Combat 47D. A friend with a 1911 was having issues until I gave him such a magazine.
Old December 28, 2010, 03:00 PM   #11
RickB

I think FALacy is on the right track. I have a Springfield hi-cap, which uses Para mags, and I've had some issues. Seriously doubt it's the recoil spring, unless someone slipped a 9-pounder in there. Try feeding rounds with the extractor removed, and see if the problem goes away. Does the gun have one of those Power Xtractors, or whatever they're called? There could be a problem with the hook or the tension that's holding up the show. If you fill the mags to capacity, and then manually thumb the rounds out, do the remaining rounds in the mag pop smartly into place, or sometimes just sort of ooze to the top of the mag? Not to get too far afield, but one of the things that really smoothed the feeding in my gun is loading rounds with minimum-dimension case rims. A buddy who shoots a Para P14 in competition tipped me to this, and it made a big difference. Using random rounds, I have to pound the mags on the bench, and grunt and groan to fill them to capacity, but if I use rounds with small-diameter rims (.470" or less), I can easily load the mags to capacity, and the rounds cycle much more smoothly through the mags. Unless you reload, and want to get into making rounds optimized for the gun, loading only cases with smaller rim diameters is certainly impractical.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Rugerismisticness

It is either the extractor is too tight, or the recoil spring to too light. I would play it safe and up the recoil spring to around 16lbs.
Old May 11, 2011, 06:22 AM   #13
brotherzoo

I had the same issue with mine at first, although it seemed to break in pretty well after the first few mags, and runs better with the blued factory 15 round 'preban' mags. I will be testing it shortly with a Wolff longslide extra power recoil spring and buffer, and will post my results.
Old May 11, 2011, 07:32 AM   #14
Jim Watson

I see a stem bind/three point jam.
It might be the extractor, which is a problem because it is a PO proprietary design with no aftermarket replacements available. You have to work with what is there and I don't know how.
It might be an undersize "match" chamber or a sharp corner on the chamber mouth. Is there a crescent shaped crease in the brass where it was rammed against the edge of the chamber at the top of the feed ramp?
Old May 11, 2011, 09:17 AM   #15
Don P

With regards to post numbers 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12 it is a "NEW" gun. Yes manufacturer's can produce what we would call a lemon, BUT changing springs, buying new Wilson mags, changing extractors. Come on folks why not just suggest he call Para tell THEM the issues and let Para fix their new gun problem at their expense.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.