The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 20, 2017, 08:09 PM   #1
bacardisteve

1911 sprinco spring and guide rod

Anybody use one? Looking to set up a Springfield govt for a steady diet of +p ammo. Specifically a 255gr bullet at 900fps so almost 45 super territory.
Old September 21, 2017, 11:14 AM   #2
RickB

I'd approach it differently.
Slowing the slide at the rear of it's travel might make the gun more comfortable to shoot, but I'd try to delay unlocking, so the slide isn't accelerated as much initially, instead.

Install a firing pin stop with reduced radius (Harrison Design) or no radius (EGW), and a heavier mainspring, which will allow the use of a recoil spring of a lesser rating while keeping slide velocities reasonable.

Using a 25# main and 22# recoil spring in my .45 Super I'm getting six-foot ejection.
Old September 21, 2017, 12:09 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
I'd approach it differently.
Slowing the slide at the rear of it's travel might make the gun more comfortable to shoot, but I'd try to delay unlocking, so the slide isn't accelerated as much initially, instead.

Install a firing pin stop with reduced radius (Harrison Design) or no radius (EGW), and a heavier mainspring, which will allow the use of a recoil spring of a lesser rating while keeping slide velocities reasonable.

Using a 25# main and 22# recoil spring in my .45 Super I'm getting six-foot ejection.
Good advice.