The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 8, 2017, 11:12 AM   #76
the possum

Maybe some of you guys would prefer a Howa mini, then? I came across them on sale yesterday for only $330.
https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/5168699

The CZ action is way too small to accept AK mags. If ya doubled the weight of the receiver, it would totally kill the reason for them to exist. Then ya may as well just a full sized rifle.
Old September 8, 2017, 01:01 PM   #77
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Those will come in time I think, but the 7.62x39 is a far more popular and common cartridge than both of those combined.

Probably December for prices to go below $400. I don't think the excitement will wear down though. There are people, myself included, that think the 7.62x39 is a phenomenal cartridge and want rifles that are more accurate than an SKS or AK, but don't want to spend more than what an SKS or stamped AK costs.

With the Ruger American's track record of excellent accuracy, I think it will prove to be so popular that Ruger will come out with an AR in 7.62x39 by the end of next year or the next presidential election.
I'll bet with the x39 RAR, we'll see a lot more options in .311 bullets. Hornady already makes a .311 SST in a loaded round that can be easily box up for the reloading market, as well as their other SP rounds in .311 already available.

Comparing the x39 to 300BO, I would assume there will be more RAR's sold in x39 in short order. I don't know what the size of the 300BO market is, but the x39 market is already huge. I would think that a relatively inexpensive, accurate rifle like the RAR would boost the x39 market for reloading components, and has the potential to grow faster than what 300BO has grown. I was looking at the 300BO RAR and was thinking what a good deer rifle that could be. In x39, I would also get a cheap plinker too. I just hope the x39 will prove as accurate as the 300BO RAR rifles. Waiting on reviews to decide.

I wonder how long it'll take Mossberg to come out with their version?
Old September 8, 2017, 01:26 PM   #78
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
CZ needs to step up their game and make the CZ-527 compatible with AK mags. It's the only way.
Or VZ58 mags.
Old September 8, 2017, 02:07 PM   #79
bricz75

Quote:
Originally Posted by the possum View Post
Maybe some of you guys would prefer a Howa mini, then? I came across them on sale yesterday for only $330.
https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/5168699.

That's a lot of rifle for the money. The barrel is longer than I'd like for the caliber, though.
Old September 8, 2017, 02:14 PM   #80
the possum

Man, us gun nuts sure are a hard to please bunch, ain't we?
Old September 8, 2017, 02:23 PM   #81
Model12Win

The HOWA only takes a 5 round mag, too.

What is up with that?? They need to do that mini Enfield jungle carbine in 7.62x39mm. Make it take 10 round SKS clips!!
Old September 8, 2017, 02:31 PM   #82
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I'll bet with the x39 RAR, we'll see a lot more options in .311 bullets. Hornady already makes a .311 SST in a loaded round that can be easily box up for the reloading market, as well as their other SP rounds in .311 already available.

Comparing the x39 to 300BO, I would assume there will be more RAR's sold in x39 in short order. I don't know what the size of the 300BO market is, but the x39 market is already huge. I would think that a relatively inexpensive, accurate rifle like the RAR would boost the x39 market for reloading components, and has the potential to grow faster than what 300BO has grown. I was looking at the 300BO RAR and was thinking what a good deer rifle that could be. In x39, I would also get a cheap plinker too. I just hope the x39 will prove as accurate as the 300BO RAR rifles. Waiting on reviews to decide.

I wonder how long it'll take Mossberg to come out with their version?
And Savage.

As for the .311 bullets, idk. If Hornady already makes 123 grain .310-.311 bullets, I don't have a desire for anything else. It's not like I'll be blasting reloads with the American often, but when I do, I want the best bullet available.

SST's are really good.
Old September 8, 2017, 03:45 PM   #83
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
The HOWA only takes a 5 round mag, too.

What is up with that?? They need to do that mini Enfield jungle carbine in 7.62x39mm. Make it take 10 round SKS clips!!
Do you mean SKS stripper-clips? And that 7.62x39 jungle carbine that would take AK mags? Yes!!! --> Shut down the gun boards, we're done here
Old September 8, 2017, 04:05 PM   #84
the possum

Already been done! The Yugo SKS has a gas shut off valve, which turns it into a straight pull bolt action!
Old September 9, 2017, 12:48 AM   #85
armoredman

Hornaday makes a fine 123 gr spire point 3105 bullet that runs right down my CZ 527M bore to great effect. Also my NOE 129gr .314 cast bullets sized to .311 do just fine, powder coated. I also say that CZ might sell some 10 round mags for the 527M if they had them made, maybe even 15s, but probably not so much. The receiver isn't wide enough to take any double stack magazine, AK or vz, not unless someone made a run of AK mags that narrowed to a single stack for the last 2.5 inches. I'm doubting that will happen any time soon. I hope that someone close gets one on the shelf so I can handle it and see what it feels like.
Old September 10, 2017, 04:12 PM   #86
stolivar

read the post above, yes it is a 311 bore

steve
Old September 13, 2017, 08:45 AM   #87
Model12Win

It also has a 2 pound paperweight milled on the end of the barrel and is the longest and heaviest 7.62x39mm infantry rifle ever made, easily as heavy and long as an M1 Garand but firing a cartridge with half as much muzzle energy.

There is absolutely no comparison in how a compact action bolt gun handles and carries compared to the massive Yugo SKSs. Even a standard SKS without the grenade launching contraption just isn't as nice to carry when hunting, no way hozay.
Old September 13, 2017, 10:28 AM   #88
drobs

My hope would be they'll make a scout version with the nice gray laminate stock and iron sights.

If their target audience is the AK/7.62x39 crowd I think they missed their mark by not have iron sights.
Old September 13, 2017, 11:09 AM   #89
the possum

Quote:
It also has a 2 pound paperweight milled on the end of the barrel and is the longest and heaviest 7.62x39mm infantry rifle ever made, easily as heavy and long as an M1 Garand but firing a cartridge with half as much muzzle energy.
Dude, you're taking things way too seriously. Have fun.
Old September 15, 2017, 12:56 AM   #90
Geezerbiker

Anybody get one of these yet and can report about it first hand?

Tony
Old September 16, 2017, 08:44 PM   #91
Ibmikey

The rib disappeared when I mounted my scope so no problem there and one reason I bought the rifle was the cool looking stock....should also offer it in OD. "Different strokes for different folks"