The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 28, 2010, 01:59 AM   #1
Field

FO sights

what kind of sights have you put on your gun(s)?

ive been rolling with a small red FO front (dawson precision, Xdm9, )paired with the factory rears except i blacked out the white dots. I've been contemplating buying a paired set of FO front and rear sights ever since i replaced my fiber and saw how large and luminescent it was after expanding the ends of it with heat. the cost isnt really a huge deal seeing how much use the gun gets.

im just wondering if you have tried front/rear FO sights and if you feel it is worth it or not. im thinking it might be faster target aquisition in a can.. but idk .

http://www.youtube.com/user/FieldBoy111
Old April 28, 2010, 12:16 PM   #2
threegun

I'm looking at the Sevigny front and rear competition sites. I have a few questions that hopefully a fellow TFL member can answer.

1. Will the front site fit on my Glock 34 without extending over the opening cut on top of the slide?

2. Did Glock change the distance/position of the opening on top of the slide? I have a very early Glock 34 and the measured distance between the front end of the slide and the beginning of the opening cut into the top of the slide is 7/16.

3. Can someone with a newer (within the last two years or so) Glock 34 measure the distance mentioned above on their gun and post results?

Thanks
Old April 28, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3
gregjc9

I have a stock XDm for IDPA, and have been contemplating putting a Dawson fiber on the front and a Warren tactical rear. Seems this setup is pretty popular from what I can tell so far. Just looked on Warren's web site:

Quote:
At the 2007 USPSA Production Nationals, half of the entire Top 30 overall used Warren Tactical Sights.
I know this doesnt directly answer your question about fiber on both front and rear. Personally, I think you will have faster target acquisition with just the fiber front sight. Have you tried your f/w front sight without blacking out the stock rear dots? Why did you black out the rear dots? I

Greg
Old April 30, 2010, 09:40 AM   #4
9mm1033

I use my XD with a small FO Dawson front and black Dawson rear for both IDPA and USPSA. In the sun it shines bright. Any kind of sight(s) is obviously a personal choice. Hence the large selection of type and styles.
Old April 30, 2010, 10:56 PM   #5
GaryM&P

Field,
FO front with black rear is the way to go for competition.
threegun,
I haven't owned a Glock in years but they did indeed go from "big hole" 34's to "small hole" 34's many years ago. I found that sight overhang is a non-issue.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Field

thanks. yeah it seems like most of the good people have said to use black rear sights i kind of goofed with fo rears and kind of attached them to my gun and did some indexing and stuff but yeah it seems like they kind of draw your attention to them in a bad way i was mainly looking for something (other than just getting better) that would help me more quickly get my sights aligned in certain situations. maybe i should just get one of those wider aftermarket blacked out rears. idk. or maybe the factory sight is just fine

the only problem i got with my factory rear sight was i did some filing a while ago and now part of the top of them is shiny looking instead of being black the way i want. oh i guess i can just spray some black on them

http://www.youtube.com/user/FieldBoy111
Old May 12, 2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Gryff

I run a red FO front, and all-black BoMar rear on my XD9 Tactical. That way, the solo red dot of the front sight is pretty much my sole focus during fast engagements.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:32 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

I do bright fronts / dark rears on all my handguns; less confusing.