The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 23, 2019, 09:48 AM   #26
American Man

I've used +P in the LCP and P3AT. I was just letting him know he needs to check his manuals, if anything just to know what they say about using +P. One of them said not to use it at all while the other shouldn't get a steady diet. I just shoot standard power nowadays so I forgot which is which.
Old December 23, 2019, 11:01 AM   #27
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I've used +P in the LCP and P3AT. I was just letting him know he needs to check his manuals, if anything just to know what they say about using +P. One of them said not to use it at all while the other shouldn't get a steady diet. I just shoot standard power nowadays so I forgot which is which
Ruger says do not use +P in red, bold print in the LCP manual
I think Kel-Tec says it's OK
For the OP's Beretta, don't know. But as stated earlier....Why?
Standard pressure ammo is going to do anything as well as hyped up falsly titled +p.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 23, 2019, 11:44 AM   #28
Geezerbiker

IS Corbon still around? They used to make pretty hot ammo in most pistol cartridges. I remember buying some in .380 but that was a long time ago...

Tony
Old December 23, 2019, 02:58 PM   #29
TruthTellers

If you want the highest velocity, I'd look at the Inceptor ammo that shoots a 60 grain bullet at 1200 fps.
Old December 26, 2019, 10:29 AM   #30
rodfac

Quote:
I'll start the response thread with Buffalo Bore's +P traveling at 1150 fps.
Holy cow! What length bbl. were they using for that velocity....and at what pressures? I've run some pretty hot handloads through my S&W Bodyguard380 and have yet to see 900+fps wink out on my chronograph.

It's my opinion that all ammunition manufacturers publish VERY optimistic muzzle velocities for their ammunition...and that covers all calibers too.

YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 26, 2019, 10:42 AM   #31
wild cat mccane

Corbon was bought by the Freedom Group (Remington). Corbon stock seems to come and go. Barnes (also Freedom Group bought) was/is the bullet in Corbon. Barnes is Freedom's big bullet name.

Corbon 80gr in 380 was the gold standard back in the day when it was just the P3AT.

Bullet is more important, not just in 380. Since the Hornady XTP was designed to penetrate more than expand. Hornady (maker of the XTP) states it's made with "controlled expansion." That is different than Federal/CCI (Vista Outdoors owns both) HST or Gold Dot which is set total expansion.

XTP seems to be a good bullet in 380. It expands to XTP's maximum expansion point and hits 12" in the 380 without high +P pressure.
Old December 26, 2019, 01:13 PM   #32
stinkeypete

While I agree with most of what CheapShooter has said, my Berra Thunder is remarkably accurate with a surprisingly good trigger. While it’s not a bullseye gun, I could shoot it at Club League and not be close to last place.

I’m still working on perfecting a load, but the Winchester bullets are decided on.
Old December 26, 2019, 01:39 PM   #33
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP-44 View Post
Thanks!!
I can "second" both S&B & Prvi Partisan

I carry PPU ball in the 380EZ and get excellent penetration
No need to waste money on boutique HP's as they simply do not penetrate far enough if they open
Penetration is far more important than expansion*

* (yes I said it... que the haters)
Old December 26, 2019, 02:32 PM   #34
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Penetration is far more important than expansion
Penetration is just one part of the equation.
Shot placement being the most critical.
Penetration without hitting "important stuff" can be much less effective than lesser penetration, but tearing up some goodies.
Old December 26, 2019, 02:49 PM   #35
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Penetration is just one part of the equation.
Shot placement being the most critical.
Penetration without hitting "important stuff" can be much less effective than lesser penetration, but tearing up some goodies.
Cleary you've never seen my "3 P's" mantra

Practice
Placement
Penetration

In typical self-defense scenarios
Using common service caliber handguns
The 3 P's trump all of the common arguments
Old December 26, 2019, 09:23 PM   #36
wild cat mccane

FMJ 380 really shouldn't perform worse than 9mm FMJ.

Indeed, gel tests show in the 20s".

I don't think anyone would recommend 9mm doing that.
Myself, I wouldn't say 380 FMJ is the way to go based on that.
Old December 26, 2019, 09:29 PM   #37
zoo

Close up, .380 should do whatever you need keeping in mind the limitations of a light pistol load.
Old December 27, 2019, 12:42 PM   #38
gbclarkson

Quote:
I'll start the response thread with Buffalo Bore's +P traveling at 1150 fps.
Quote:
Holy cow! What length bbl. were they using for that velocity....and at what pressures? I've run some pretty hot handloads through my S&W Bodyguard380 and have yet to see 900+fps wink out on my chronograph.
According to Buffalo Bore's website:

"Item 27A/20 is a 100gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,150 fps out of my 3.75 inch BDA (Browning Double Action)."

"➤ 1,160 fps -- BDA 3.75-inch barrel
➤ 1,149 fps -- Walther PPK 3.5-inch barrel
➤ 1,072 fps -- Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel
➤ 1,061 fps -- Keltec"
Old December 27, 2019, 01:05 PM   #39
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Cleary you've never seen my "3 P's" mantra

Practice
Placement
Penetration

In typical self-defense scenarios
Using common service caliber handguns
The 3 P's trump all of the common arguments
Except for the fact that an assailant isn't going to be a piece of paper, stapled to a stationary stand. More likely a moving, jumping, running, slashing, stabbing, kicking, grabbing target.
That's when Murphy's law trumps all the training you have under your belt.
Not to say that practice isn't needed, or helpfull. But in the final result, luck has almost as much to do with hitting that tiny area of the spine that will immediately incapacitate a human as all the practice, and training.
Without that perfect hit to the CNS you are then hoping for one of the less sure ways that a human is incapacitated. Physical pain from being shot. In which a more destructive item passing through tissue would be helpful. Or mental shock from the fact they have been shot. Again, more tissue damage than a small hole poked through could be helpful. But maybe not. Mental shock, fainting, can be seriously effected by state of mind, adrenalin, or drugs.
Old December 27, 2019, 01:08 PM   #40
TBM900

What is the point of the extra recoil, blast, flash, pressure, and cost needed to get an extra 100-200fps out of 380 ball, when a standard pressure ball will easily fully penetrate the torso of a fully clothed adult.

Take the extra cost and apply it to simply shooting more and that practice will trump any perceived advantage of the expensive boutique cartridge.

Practice
Placement
Penetration
Old December 27, 2019, 01:47 PM   #41
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Except for the fact that an assailant isn't going to be a piece of paper, stapled to a stationary stand.
Except for the fact that...
Cite where I said a word about any such thing, one way or the other...

Quote:
More likely a moving, jumping, running, slashing, stabbing, kicking, grabbing target.
That's when Murphy's law trumps all the training you have under your belt.
Not to say that practice isn't needed, or helpfull. But in the final result, luck has almost as much to do with hitting that tiny area of the spine that will immediately incapacitate a human as all the practice, and training.
Without that perfect hit to the CNS you are then hoping for one of the less sure ways that a human is incapacitated. Physical pain from being shot. In which a more destructive item passing through tissue would be helpful. Or mental shock from the fact they have been shot. Again, more tissue damage than a small hole poked through could be helpful. But maybe not. Mental shock, fainting, can be seriously effected by state of mind, adrenalin, or drugs.
I have literally no clue what you are trying to say as it relates to my statement, all I see is a whole bunch of random non sequitur. Feel free to explain how any of that in any way even relates to my statement, let alone negates it, I'm all ears....
Old December 27, 2019, 02:20 PM   #42
cjwils

I think the more important question is not which ammo is hottest, but which ammo never jams in your gun
Old December 27, 2019, 03:18 PM   #43
MP-44

I just asked a simple question and you would think I asked about the meaning of life
Old December 27, 2019, 10:57 PM   #44
wild cat mccane

380 FMJ goes 18-22"

The hottest "+P" 380 FMJ goes 18-22"

Look for a +P in Underwood or BB.

Just know you're not getting what you think you are out of it.
Old December 28, 2019, 10:02 AM   #45
SHR970

MP-44 is using a Beretta 80 series 380. They are rated for CIP spec. ammo. CIP 380 ammo is beyond what SAAMI would call +P by a bit. MP-44's decision to run ball is his alone. That said, Euro Ball ammo will almost certainly run flawlessly in his gun.
Old December 28, 2019, 10:57 AM   #46
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I have literally no clue what you are trying to say as it relates to my statement, all I see is a whole bunch of random non sequitur. Feel free to explain how any of that in any way even relates to my statement, let alone negates it, I'm all ears....
Quote:
Take the extra cost and apply it to simply shooting more and that practice will trump any perceived advantage of the expensive boutique cartridge.

Practice
Placement
Penetration
Because that practice, and perfect placement is on a paper target, stuck to a stationary stand.
I guess if you can talk that bag guy coming after you to stand there like a papervtarget, you'll be guaranteed that perfect placement. Otherwise it's as much luck as it is proficiency.
When that perfect placement isn't achieved, a bullet with more potential to do tissue damage can help in stopping an attack.
Old December 28, 2019, 12:56 PM   #47
MP-44

LOL. My next thread is going to be how accurate can a .380 be so I can get no answer to my question but a lot of replies telling me it's not a target pistol caliber
Old December 28, 2019, 02:13 PM   #48
Cheapshooter

As accurate as the shooter.
It's not so much the round. More to do with the guns it's chambered in. Generally small, self defense oriented "pocket" pistols.
Old December 28, 2019, 03:33 PM   #49
MP-44

https://youtu.be/MxtN0xxzfsw
Old December 28, 2019, 03:40 PM   #50
stinkeypete

Answer: check out Maxxtech, then Gecko for “hottest fmj loads”
Riff no.1: load your own and know what you are getting
Riff no.2: ... if the goal is “hot”, that’s why they make 9mm
Riff no.3: once you have overpenetrated, why overpenetrate more?
Riff no.4: in purchased ammo, I like Aguila for cheap/good and Winchester white box for irritatingly excellent accurate in my Bersa and it’s got a stouter kick and it hurts to pay twice as much as the Aguilla but it really groups well. I shoot at paper. Still working up hand loads.