The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 16, 2018, 02:47 AM   #26
Bill DeShivs

Even non-ferrous metals will work-harden-except gold.
Springs are funny things- as long as they are flexed inside their design parameters, they have almost infinite life. Flex then outside those parameters, and things go south quickly.
Old November 18, 2018, 07:04 PM   #27
rclark

I've had it happen to me once. Luckily I was just testing at the range when it happened... That's when I learned about the pinch problem and its cure. I think once you 'fix' it right, there is much less chance of having a breakages. Personally I had no problem with the 'OM' revolvers that didn't have a transfer bar (one less that could break)... but that's just me.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. Ok.... the .44Spec is growing on me ... but the .45 Colt is still king.
Old November 22, 2018, 06:17 PM   #28
ratshooter

After looking at that link and how to test if your transfer bar needs to be fitted better I had to go check all my Ruger single actions. None of them have the pinch. And I have a single six from 1961 that has the new lockwork, A new model SS, two 32 mags and a 44 SBH and Ruger got it right on all of them.
Old November 25, 2018, 01:23 PM   #29
Dave T

In years gone by I owned a lot of Ruger "old models". One in particular, a Flat-top 44 Mag, I bought used and it had seen a fair amount of shooting. I owned it for between 10 and 15 years and put a lot of rounds through it (cast bullet reloads of Elmer's specs - 250g SWC over 22g 2400). Nothing ever broke and the fellow deputy I eventually sold it to was still shooting it after he retired.

Oh! And I dry fired that thing all the time. Probably a ratio of 3 dry fires for every live round fired. But according to the lawyers and the safety Nazis that gun wasn't safe. Too bad.

Dave