The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 9, 2013, 03:09 PM   #26
Frank Ettin
Staff

I guess I should have done that this morning when I did it. But now I'm in class until late tonight.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 9, 2013, 03:50 PM   #27
Mobuck

I don't do youtube.
The load one, skip one, load four, cock & lower the hammer has been the accepted practice for almost 150 years.
I'm not a Colt man. If it's possible to load another way, I'm sure that's the way they would have been doing it since 1873.
Old November 9, 2013, 03:55 PM   #28
Frank Ettin
Staff

Loading and Unloading Single/Double Action Revolvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
...The load one, skip one, load four, cock & lower the hammer ...
That's exactly what I've been saying.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; November 9, 2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Correct typo
Old November 9, 2013, 05:46 PM   #29
Crunchy Frog

Someone asked for a YouTube video showing the load one-skip one method of loading a Colt single action (or replica thereof). Good old "Bottom Dealing Mike" has the subject covered in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXJRuTx--nU

The loading technique begins at about 3:20.

Mike pulls the trigger to drop the hammer onto the empty chamber in this video. The method that was described in this thread was to use your thumb to lower the hammer down from the fullcock position.

The rims of the cartridges can easily be seen. If somehow you were to get the loading sequence out of whack you would be able to see whether the chamber being indexed to the "firing" position is loaded or empty.

A picture is indeed worth a thousand words.

If this still gives you the heebie jeebies you can always buy a (new model) Ruger single action. No need to touch the hammer or trigger during loading and unloading. Safe to carry fully loaded as well.
Old November 9, 2013, 06:04 PM   #30
Frank Ettin
Staff

Notice that after loading the last cartridge he full cocks the hammer, just as I had mentioned. The difference is that he just drops the hammer. I prefer not to dry fire a single action revolver so I lower the hammer under control.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:01 PM   #31
pax

Crunchy Frog,

Thanks. Very helpful!

pax
Old November 11, 2013, 07:23 PM   #32
FireForged

Quote:
and you feel you're ready to be an instructor?
I'm sorry-just being totally honest.
I was at a loss for words but this is just about covers it.
Old November 11, 2013, 09:46 PM   #33
Malamute

Frank, I was confused at your first comment. You started out by full cocking the gun, then lowering the hammer to half cock to load. That wont allow the cylinder to rotate. Bringing the hammer to half cock from down will allow the cylinder to turn.

Quote:
Fully cock the hammer.

Lower the hammer to half-cock. You can do this by holding the hammer with your support hand thump, pressing the trigger, begin to lower the hammer a bit, and then let up on the trigger as you lower the hammer further to the half-cock position.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old November 11, 2013, 09:52 PM   #34
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
Frank, I was confused at your first comment. You started out by full cocking the gun, ....
Oops!

You're correct. That was my error. (It was late, but that's no excuse.)
Old November 11, 2013, 10:59 PM   #35
dakota.potts

Thanks guys! The videos have been great, in particular the one posted by Crunchy Frog! I now have a pretty solid understanding of how to do so and I'll try to locate a range where I can rent a gun and try it out myself as well as get a grip with some revolvers.

I am disheartened by some negative comments. The path to learning has to start somewhere and I'm ready to start it. When I'm able to prove my abilities, these comments will be irrelevant. Until then, I'm just ready to start learning so that I one day will be ready.
Old November 11, 2013, 11:07 PM   #36
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota.potts
...I am disheartened by some negative comments. The path to learning has to start somewhere and I'm ready to start it...
That's a good perspective. And it's okay to have a goal, even if you know you have a ways to go to realize it.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 12, 2013, 12:15 AM   #37
Malamute

Asking honest questions is a good way to learn. Nobody is born knowing all this stuff. Learning new things about shooting and guns is generally a pretty interesting pastime.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old November 12, 2013, 07:47 AM   #38
Frank Ettin
Staff

The thread has run its course.
Closed Thread