The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 3, 2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home - Questions

I am an NRA certified instruction in Basic Pistol, Personal Protection In the Home, and First Steps. I have not gotten certified to teach Personal Protection Outside the Home because I haven't found anyone within a practical distance from my home who is qualified to certify me.

I stumbled across a course announcement in another forum that is offering the PPOTH instructor course not far from where a good friend of mine lives, so I am considering combining a visit to him with attending the class. But the information is unclear, and my requests for clarification have been met with what I consider to be obfuscation.

Specifically, the place is offering what they call a "provider" course and an "instructor" course, on different weekends. And they are telling me that I have to take both. But when I asked what the difference is between an "instructor" and a "provider," all I got was double-talk. They quoted a long passage from the NRA Instructor web site, and nowhere in what they quoted was the word "provider" used.

Can anyone who is qualified to certify PPOTH instructors explain to me what the requirements really are?

TIA
Old February 3, 2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

The way it worked here when I got certified for Personal Protection Inside the Home (PPITH) and PPOTH is that one first took the actual class and then the instructors class. That's how one of our more active local Training Counselor set things up.

First he ran a PPITH and a PPOTH class for a group of us local instructors. Needless to say that since many of us had multiple classes at Gunsite, Front Sight, and other schools/instructors, they were probably not your normal PPITH and PPOTH classes.

Then in each case, on the following weekend he put on the instructor class for each course.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old February 3, 2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

That sounds logical. I just can't figure out what these clowns are talking about with what they are calling a "provider" course. The way I see it, If as an instructor I rent time at a range and I put on the class as MY class, I am the instructor (obviously) and I am also the provider. If, on the other hand, a range or some other entity or organization hires me to teach the class for them, I am the instructor and they are the "provider."

But I can't find any reference in any NRA information about a separate class for providers.

I guess the bottom line is, if they can't even explain clearly what they're offering, I shouldn't expect them to be able to teach the class effectively. It sounds like an instructor (actually a group) that's best to avoid.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Murdock

I am a PPOTH instructor as well, and took the course over two weekends, with the first weekend being the regular PPOTH course as a student, and the next weekend as a student instructor. So my experience sounds much like Frank Ettin's as related above.

I am not familiar with the "provider" terminology, and on its face I am suspicious. One is either a student or an instructor.

The NRA is doing a creditable job of establishing training standards that are uniform throughout the nation, and the use of standard terminology is a critical component to this uniformity. Anybody who is monkeying with the terminology is suspect.

Look elsewhere. You'll find someone. Listing other than CONUS for your location may help one of us to refer you appropriately. (I mean, like, you couldn't locate an instructor course in CONUS)?