The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 5, 2012, 01:52 PM   #26
ronz

Glad they were out of gas checks I thought they were a gas check design but checked on lees site there not now if I can only find one of the two torches I used to be the proud owner of (dam kid)
Going to have to pick up some lapping compound have been wanting to try lapping a barrel on an old pistol for a while anyway
I had an idea for a thermometer just sticking chimney thermometer on a piece of steel and putting that in the pot but still going to check out that one on cb
Old September 5, 2012, 06:00 PM   #27
FrankenMauser

If you want to lap a barrel for use with lead, be sure to go with 280 grit as an absolute minimum / 320 grit preferred.

I've never compared different brands, but several cast bullet manufacturers recommend only "Clover" brand valve lapping compound.
The 4 oz part number for 320 grit is 1A-51803 but 280 and 400 grit are easier to find. (A-51803 for 280, 2A-51803 for 400)
(The label may carry the Fel-Pro brand name, as well; since Fel-Pro owns them.)
Old September 5, 2012, 07:23 PM   #28
YARDDOG(1)

"[If your looking for WW ingots look up "TheCaptain" in the Vendor Sponsor section]"

^^^^^^^^^^^^Good Lady Kathy^^^^^^^^^
+1 on that I got lucky & paw inlaw gave me 300lbs of pore plummers
ingots' 5lb apeice. I ladle cast from a Lyman Big dipper TL 356-124(2)
& a TL358-158. I use the 45-45-10 lube/ 45%Johnsons paste wax cooked
down ad same Alox lube & 10% Mineral spiits Tumble Lube, Goes along ways

Then a couple of cheap Lee sizers 356 & 358 as lee mold throw bigger boolits
& they shoot Fine out of my 9mm's & two Ruger 357mags. No leading so far at about 1,500 rnds so far ; )
Y/D
Old September 5, 2012, 07:39 PM   #29
ronz

it’s been a long time since I read anything about lapping completely forgot what was recommended you saved me some searching or banging my head against the wall for getting the wrong stuff
stopped by Oriley and all they had was a 2 pack with course and fine didn’t say what grit so going to head to ace see what they have want to have it before the pot arrives so I’m not tempted to just use it without lapping it
Old September 5, 2012, 08:44 PM   #30
ronz

I’m getting the lead from Arron at castboolits
Going to make some 45/45/10 lube with Johnson’s paste wax someone brought up using powdered graphite to make a molly lube so even thought about making 2 batches using the one with graphite first then regular 45/45/10 but way too much thinking for someone with no experience
Sure before I know it will have a ton of stuff for now just trying to get the basics my order went from just huge to being a monster but will keep the hungry mouths fed for quite a while
Old September 7, 2012, 10:04 PM   #31
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Sure before I know it will have a ton of stuff for now just trying to get the basics my order went from just huge to being a monster but will keep the hungry mouths fed for quite a while
Ooohhh, the fun has only just begun.