The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 5, 2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Richards Stock on Model 70

After much time and various corrections and redoing some of it, this project is nearing the end. A few people have commented that Richards Stocks are "boxy" and I agree with that. However, this rifle feels good to hold to the shoulder and cheek, and a bit of extra bulk and weight won't bother me as a mile or two is about as far as this gun will ever get toted by me. The action fit fairly well as the stock came to me, but the barrel channel needed lots of work to make it free floating. The stock itself required a lot of heavy sanding to shape it and get the tool cuts out of it. All in all it has been a good project. Someday soon it needs to go to the range to see if it shoots good. With the original composit stock the thing was kind of cheesy and the recoil pad was like a brick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030006.JPG (164.9 KB, 42 views)
Old August 5, 2012, 01:19 PM   #2
F. Guffey

I purchases two stocks from Richards micro fit, I contacted them about the work done on the two stocks, I said on my opinion “I believe I could train wood peckers to do a better job”.

F. Guffey
Old August 5, 2012, 01:43 PM   #3
tailchain

Richard Stocks

Richard Micro-Fit stocks are definitely not for someone that is looking for a drop-in and walk off type of job, but if you take your time and lots of sanding you can end up with a first class stock. And I mean lots of sanding and fitting. Then more progressive sanding all the way to 2500 grit and high quality finish in many layers. It probably isn't economically sensible but it is a hobby after all and well worth all the effort.
Looks like you ended up with a fine stock for your rifle, congrats.
Old August 5, 2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Colorado Redneck

Hi F.Guffy--I read a post of yours where you said that. I have to agree, the piece of wood wasn't perfect by a lot. However, I did not expect a finished product. Essentially I wanted to pimp this rifle up and have a more useable firearm for hunting.

I have ordered another stock from Richards. I expect the same quality of fit up and work required to finish it. It will be fun.
Old August 5, 2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Colorado Redneck

Thanks, Tailchain. It is a hobby and has been fun.
Old August 6, 2012, 12:31 AM   #6
hoghunting

I have purchased two semi-inletted stocks from Richards, and although they took a bit of work fitting, shaping and finishing, I would rather remove too much wood than use epoxy to build up stocks that are too thin.
Old August 6, 2012, 12:54 PM   #7
F. Guffey

I know what a blank looks like, I know what a semi-‘inletted’ stock looks like, no where in their advertisement was there a picture of a club, at no time while talking to them was their a warning the pictures posted in their advertisement had no resemblance to what I received.

For those that are pleased with the product, good, that is the way it should be.

F. Guffey
Old August 6, 2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Scorch

Richards MicroFit stocks are nice stocks, but buyers need to understand that a pre-carved stock blank is a long way from finished. Yeah, sure, they say 95% inletted and some work will be required, but when inletting and finishing a Richards stock I put about 15 hours of work into making it look right (and I do stock work for a living, so I know how to do it). Yes, they leave a lot of wood on the stock, this allows for different styles and different preferences in stock shape. But really, if you own a sanding block, a few woodworking tools, and have a modicum of skill, you can turn out a rather nice rifle with a Richards blank. If you want a more finished stock, there are outfits that sell stocks that are finished and checkered, but they will never sell for the price that Richards sells a blank for.

As far as there being too much wood on Richards' stocks, I recently received a stock blank for a Savage 99 from another source, and just the forearm was as big around as a Louisville Slugger, the buttstock was drum sanded to be somewhat the right shape, but the wrist area was over 2-1/2" in diameter, the action panels were 3/4" thick, and the butt was 2-1/2" thick. It took me 6 hours just to get the buttstock shaped, and another 2-1/2 hours to get the forearm thinned down and shaped. I have received shaped stocks from other suppliers that look like they were shaped by beavers on crack. Richards does a nice job, believe me.