The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 14, 2012, 06:17 PM   #1
anthony6727

Rules Regarding Sending Firearms In The Mail

I want to send my SW 627 pro out of state to get some engraving work done. In the past, people have sent this guy parts of a gun in the mail. For example, with a semi-auto pistol, they would just send the slide, or the frame, etc.

My 627 doesn't have any removable parts. I can't even remove the cylinder (I'm sure a gunsmith could, but there isn't anywhere in the instructions that say I should)

I can take off the grips, but i'm sure a gun without grips still constitutes a firearm. My question is, what level of break down do I need until I can legally send my revolver directly to the workshop ( they do not have an FFL).

Any advice or tips appreciated!
Old February 14, 2012, 06:44 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
anthony6727 I want to send my SW 627 pro out of state to get some engraving work done. In the past, people have sent this guy parts of a gun in the mail. For example, with a semi-auto pistol, they would just send the slide, or the frame, etc.

My 627 doesn't have any removable parts. I can't even remove the cylinder (I'm sure a gunsmith could, but there isn't anywhere in the instructions that say I should)

I can take off the grips, but i'm sure a gun without grips still constitutes a firearm. My question is, what level of break down do I need until I can legally send my revolver directly to the workshop ( they do not have an FFL).
1. Only dealers and manufacturers can legally mail a handgun through the USPS.....ordinary folks must use a common carrier such as UPS or FedEx.
2. The frame or receiver of a firearm is still a firearm no matter whether it is dissassembled or not. While you can legally mail the slide, barrel, magazine, cylinder, etc of handguns....do that with a receiver or frame and you violate Federal law.
3. If the guy doing the engraving does not hold an 01, 02 or 07FFL you cannot legally ship the frame or complete gun to him across state lines. That would be a serious violation of Federal law. With VERY few exceptions, all interstate shipments of firearms must be addressed to an FFL.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 14, 2012, 07:59 PM   #3
carguychris

^^^Dogtown is correct on all counts, but I'd like to mention one other thing.

Assuming the engraver holds a valid FFL (see above), it may make the most sense to have a local FFL do the shipment and transfer for you. While it is legal for you to send a handgun across state lines if the recipient is a FFL, it has to go by common carrier (FedEx or UPS), and they require you to ship Next Day Air. Even if you use their cheapest service (generally UPS Next Day Air Saver), it will probably cost more than a transfer through a local FFL plus shipping the handgun in a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box, which a Dealer FFL is allowed to use.