The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 2, 2014, 07:46 PM   #1
steve4102

Christie Vetos 10 Round Mag Bill.

Says the Arbitrary 10 round number defies common sense and basically will not reduce Gun Violence.

Good move for New Jersey, maybe a bad move for the Republican primary?

Anyhow, here is the article.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...magazines.html
Old July 2, 2014, 08:28 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

This is his statement:

Quote:
This is the very embodiment of reform in name only. It simply defies common sense to believe that imposing a new and entirely arbitrary number of bullets that can be lawfully loaded into a firearm will somehow eradicate, or even reduce, future instances of mass violence. Nor is it sufficient to claim that a ten-round capacity might spare an eleventh victim.
Not exactly pro-gun but enough to appease the party base.

The other side claims they delivered 55,000 signatures in support of the bill, but it's unclear how those were gathered. Despite their implications, the signatures were not from New Jersey residents, but from all around the country.
Old July 3, 2014, 09:24 AM   #3
Technosavant

Sounds like somebody is trying to position himself for a run in 2016.

I'm glad he vetoed it (for the sake of NJ residents), but it's going to take much much more than that to convince me he's actually on our side on this issue.
Old July 3, 2014, 09:29 AM   #4
JimDandy

Doesn't NJ already have a 15 round limit? How does he plan on explaining how 15 rounds is ok, but a 10 round limit is arbitrary? I doubt this is likely to lead to anything good for Christie. More gun friendly primary opponents will have a field day with it.
Old July 3, 2014, 09:39 AM   #5
natman

Quote:
Doesn't NJ already have a 15 round limit? How does he plan on explaining how 15 rounds is ok, but a 10 round limit is arbitrary?
Did Christie sign the law that imposed the 15 round limit or was it someone else?
Old July 3, 2014, 09:49 AM   #6
BarryLee

He’s sort of a no nonsense type of guy, but he’s also sort of a bully. I suppose that’s what attracts him to some folks and what may ultimately be his undoing.

Anyway, it sounds like he applied some common sense here. Obviously the usual suspect will chime in on how he’s placing children at risk, but I suspect a lot of average folks will agree with him.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 3, 2014, 10:14 AM   #7
zxcvbob

Quote:
Doesn't NJ already have a 15 round limit? How does he plan on explaining how 15 rounds is ok, but a 10 round limit is arbitrary? I doubt this is likely to lead to anything good for Christie. More gun friendly primary opponents will have a field day with it.
15 rounds is not the bill that was before him.
Old July 3, 2014, 10:21 AM   #8
JimDandy

Quote:
Did Christie sign the law that imposed the 15 round limit or was it someone else?
It was passed in 1991, so someone else. Not that that matters. He didn't get rid of the 15 round limit while he was in office. He didn't even try to. And saying he couldn't isn't going to counter the sound byte in the ads where his opponents get to point it out. Especially if the actual sound byte is Christie on TV saying he approves some of NJ gun control in place.
Old July 3, 2014, 02:31 PM   #9
publius42

Sounds like a dangerous, crazy, radical veto, according to Chris Christie. Depending on when you ask him.

Old July 4, 2014, 10:17 AM   #10
natman

Quote:
He didn't get rid of the 15 round limit while he was in office. He didn't even try to.
He's the governor. He doesn't GET to. He can sign or veto legislation that the legislature puts in front of him, but he can't repeal existing law.

Whether he's a good RKBA candidate is another issue, but don't criticize him for not doing the impossible.
Old July 4, 2014, 12:52 PM   #11
JimDandy

Quote:
He's the governor. He doesn't GET to. He can sign or veto legislation that the legislature puts in front of him, but he can't repeal existing law.

Whether he's a good RKBA candidate is another issue, but don't criticize him for not doing the impossible.
And President Obama can't propose legislation in the House or Senate. Are you really suggesting the Democratic Party controlled Senate doesn't run or work at a hefty chunk of his agenda? Or that the Democratic minority in the house doesn't at least TRY to?

The governor is the party leader in his state the same as the President is the leader of the national party. They have a voice in the legislature.

Christie Kreme vetoed for political good will, not any real belief that 10 is arbitrary.
Old July 4, 2014, 07:49 PM   #12
Cnon

Quote:
Christie Kreme vetoed for political good will, not any real belief that 10 is arbitrary.

That'd be correct in my view.

Cnon
Old July 4, 2014, 09:01 PM   #13
natman

Quote:
The governor is the party leader in his state the same as the President is the leader of the national party. They have a voice in the legislature.
Perhaps, but the governor still can't pass legislation by himself. Given that the NJ legislature just passed a new TEN shot restriction, the odds that it would repeal the existing 15 round restriction would seem to be nil, no matter what Christie did.

Again, it's not fair to criticize Christie for not doing something that's not in his power. I'm sure there are plenty of perfectly legitimate things to criticize him for if you're so inclined. Just not this one.
Old July 5, 2014, 10:20 AM   #14
JimDandy

Quote:
Again, it's not fair to criticize Christie for not doing something that's not in his power.
Again, using his position as leader of his State's party to influence and propose legislation IS within his power. As Chief Exectuive, any number of other things are in his power, like opening up the May Issue aspects of the Concealed Carry Permit through his position over the superintendent of the State Police.

There's far more suggestion to evidence to call male bovine feces than believe he really does think a 10 round magazine limit is arbitrary and violates the second amendment. Was there a gun law he didn't like BEFORE he was being whispered about as a National candidate?
Old July 5, 2014, 11:01 AM   #15
zxcvbob

I agree with natman on this. Criticize him for doing the photo-op tour with Obama right before the election, or the road closure scandal, or any number of things. He doesn't set the legislative agenda. He had a binary choice here, and he chose correctly -- unless you think he should have signed it...
Old July 5, 2014, 11:02 AM   #16
natman

Quote:
Again, using his position as leader of his State's party to influence and propose legislation IS within his power.
Again:

Perhaps, but the governor still can't pass legislation by himself. Given that the NJ legislature just passed a new TEN shot restriction, the odds that it would repeal the existing 15 round restriction would seem to be nil, no matter what Christie did.

Quote:
As Chief Exectuive, any number of other things are in his power, like opening up the May Issue aspects of the Concealed Carry Permit through his position over the superintendent of the State Police.
Yet again:

Whether he's a good RKBA candidate is another issue...

I'm not trying to say that Christie is necessarily an ideal RKBA candidate. I'm just addressing his "failure" to repeal the 15 round restriction. It seems obvious that the legislature wouldn't vote for such a repeal no matter what Christie did and if they didn't vote for it, he couldn't sign it into law. Therefore criticizing him for not repealing the 15 round ban is unrealistic. That's my point and my entire point.
Old July 5, 2014, 05:48 PM   #17
Unlicensed Dremel

That boy ..... I say, I reckon that boy flip flops more than a bluegill on a fishing dock.