The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 7, 2009, 12:25 AM   #1
(BH)

Wingmaster 870 question....

ok, so i have a REMINGTON 870 WINGMASTER, and i want to convert it into my new HD 12 gauge. im in need of a new one because i just gave my Mossberg Cruiser to an old friend who needed it worse than me (recent break in/burglary cost him his only 2 guns). plus, i figured this could be a fun little afternoon project.

anyhow, i was hoping some folks could lead me to a good site to buy HD conversion kits for 870's. im not trying to spend a ton of money, but im not trying to go super cheap either. just looking for some "middle of the road" quality parts to make my old bird huntin' gun a bit more of an HD gun. i mean, isnt that the beauty of an 870, conversion compatibility?
Old June 7, 2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Steamboatsig

I just completed my 870 Wingmaster Build:
Speedfeed Tactical IV-S - $79 (La Police Gear)
Mako Forend - $50 (Craigslist)
Mesa Tactical 6 round Side Saddle - $30 (Craigslist)
Choate +2 Mag Extension - $49 (Midway USA)
Mossberg 18.5" Barrel - $119 (Midway USA)
Truglo Fat Bead - $4.99 (Bass Pro Shops)
BSA Holographic Sight - $37 (Natchez)
Surefire G2L - $69 (Turners) NOT PICTURED
StreamlightTLR-1 $125 (?) PICTURED
TacStar Tape Switch -$22 (Gun Show) NOT PICTURED

Last edited by Steamboatsig; June 7, 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old June 7, 2009, 04:42 PM   #3
chuckles

Get a plus 2 or plus 3 mag extension tube, HD spring and a 18-21" barrel and you are set. Add a Surefire Light forearm when you come up a couple of hunderd bucks and you will have the best set-up. Side-saddles, speedfeed stocks, and other stuff is a matter of personal choice. When you buy a mag extension, get a good one. Nordic or Factory Remington as opposed to Tac star and other aftermarket brands. JMHO and as usual, YMMV>
Old June 7, 2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Two good sites to buy shotgun accessories are Brownell's and Midway:

http://www.brownells.com/

http://www.midwayusa.com/

Some good advice is to not over-load the gun with a bunch of "tactical" stuff.
Decide up front whether you want a genuine defense gun or a range toy.
If you really want a toy, by all means add the bayonet lug and the laser AND optical sights.

If you want a defense gun consider the most likely circumstances it'd be used under.
Remember, everything you hang on a gun has a price in added weight and bulk, both of which actually slow the gun down.
Do an honest "real world" cost-benefit analysis of each accessory.
Old June 7, 2009, 07:23 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

Put on an 18- 20" smoothbore barrel, with bead or rifle sights. Used, they can be had for a C note or so if you shop a bit.

I like a white light on a defensive gun. Rail mounted LED lights are my favorites, a TLR-1 should run about $100 or so. And a Streamlight #69906 ring mount that fits under the magazine cap (about $20) should finish the light issue handily.

I've come to like shorter stocks on defensive guns. Part of that is that it takes a 12.5" LOP stock to fit my dear wife, and we use the same 'house guns.' A premium grind-to-fit recoil pad (KickEez, LimbSaver etc) is a good idea too- about $20- 30 additional.

I like extra ammo on the gun. I prefer Sidesaddles, YMMV of course. For either the 4-round (long field-type forearm) or 6-round (short police style forearm) version, about $30 should get you one. We like nothing but 00 in the magazine, and nothing but slugs in the Sidesaddle. That makes shifting to slugs easy if one is needed. Again, YMMV.

Sling swivel bases might be something else to consider, if you ever want a sling/carrying strap on the gun.

That'd be it around here.

lpl
Old June 7, 2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Streamboat, your shotgun NEEDS wear marks. Nice build, but exercise the thing,

To the OP, Lee has it right. A list of addons for a good defensive shotgun is actually rather short.

A shortish barrel.

Sights YOU can use in the use environment fast and accurately.

A stock that fits you and enables you to control the shot.

A decent trigger. Your WM probably has that now.

A light source.

Slings studs. A sling's not a good idea inside, too snaggy. Outside, it's essential. I prefer a carry strap, but YMMV.

And lots of ammo.

That's all.
Old June 8, 2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Steamboatsig

Wear Marks.

Lol. You are right. The gun is a Wingmaster in pristine condition. The HD function is not it's primary duty (I hope to never have to use it for HD). The beauty of it is that all the parts I have installed can be removed in minutes and it can be dressed back up in the Wingmaster furniture.

If it makes you feel better, I scratched the barrel with an awl to line up the front sight. The original Wingmaster barrel is flawless, however.

Btw, I shoot my guns often. I just don't like to ding them up.

Last edited by Steamboatsig; June 8, 2009 at 04:54 PM.