The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 4, 2009, 04:58 PM   #1
308BoltAction

My first 870

Hello all. I just bought my first 870 through Bud's, and got a call from the FFL that it has arrived. I'd like to know what I need to look for as far as inspecting it before I take the transfer.
Old June 4, 2009, 05:02 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Nicks and scratches as well as operation of action. I check safety does in fact prevent firing...
And a 100 rounds minimum of low brass, 15 min. 00 and 15 minimum of slugs all of I get at walmart but when buying the gun I always ask for a discount on ammo at time of purchase and always get such...
Break it in as Dave McC teaches... Buy ammo, use up, repeat...
Brent
Old June 4, 2009, 10:56 PM   #3
308BoltAction

Picked it up from the FFL a few hours ago. This thing is great. I am thinking of getting a Hogue overmold forend on it, possibly a pistol grip Speedfeed III stock. I'm quite happy with the stock set as it is, though. Very easy to grip and get my finger in the housing and on the trigger.

I took a couple photos. Do I need to be more senior in the forum to post them?
Old June 5, 2009, 04:09 AM   #4
shooter007

No, get that pistol grip outa here.
Old June 5, 2009, 04:42 AM   #5
BMSMA

308BoltAction

Congratulations on your new 870. I have heard many good things about the gun. Most of what I have is much older than new.

It's good that you like the feel of the gun... which is IMHO very important in the long run.

P.S. Don't let anyone give you problems about pistol grips (or the likewise). Each person has to set up their firearm in a manner that works best for them. Just test the water and find what works for you.

Again... Congrats!
Old June 5, 2009, 06:32 AM   #6
RoscoeC

Congratulations. The 870 is a great shotgun.

Just a small suggestion regarding making changes. Before you change a thing, go buy a flat (250 rounds) of bird shot and shoot it all up. Or go the Hogdogs route, nothing wrong with that approach at all.

Then you will have a feel for the stock gun and it will be somewhat broken in. It will definitely affect what you change or don't change.

The ammo will cost you less than $60.00 and you can easily shoot all of it in a couple of range sessions.
NRA Life Member
Old June 5, 2009, 04:53 PM   #7
BamaBowtie

Don't forget the Band-Aids! Seasoned 870 shooters will understand that. If you are thinking about a Hogue forend I have a gently used one I'd sell you for a reasonable price. PM if interested.
Old June 5, 2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Goshoottheheckoutofit.

Then decide if it,and you, need anything changed .

Enjoy....
Old June 8, 2009, 11:08 PM   #9
308BoltAction

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Walmart is out of shells. I am planning on buying whatever range of different shells I can find, birdshot to buckshot.

Just to make sure, the proper way to aim with this bead sight is to line it up so it's sitting right on the flat plane on the top of the receiver, right? The top of the receiver and the top of that platform the bead sits on are level with one another?

Oh, and as far as changing it, I picked up Blawkhawk 15-Shot Shell Sling and some Lok-Down swivels. I think that's it for the time being, need to save budget for the .308.
Old June 8, 2009, 11:43 PM   #10
zippy13

Quote:
Walmart is out of shells.
An unsatisfactory reading from one of society's barometers.