The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 22, 2004, 08:59 PM   #1
Georgian

Looking for a good inexpensive BP Revolver

Hey yall. I am thinking of making a start in BP, and was wanting to get me a good BP revolver. As of right now I favor the 1851 Navy, but I really need some info on different types like the 1860 Army, 1858 Remington, etc. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless
Old October 22, 2004, 09:54 PM   #2
Sir William

www.dixiegunworks.com AVOID Armi San Marcos manufactured revolvers. Piettas are improving. Uberti is about the top in consistent quality. The Navies are 36 and 44 caliber. The Armies are 44 caliber. Opentops and therefore they can jam on caps stuck/dropped in the action. The only wy to remove their cylinders is to tap out their wedges and disassemble. If you tap the wedge in too much, you lock up the actions or create binding. The Remingtons are a heavier, topstrap=reinforced frame revolver. They are easier to clean, remove and swap cylinders and even can have adjustable sights from the factory. The Ruger Old Army and the Remingtons are also easier conversions to 45 Long Colt because of their simple to swap cylinders.
Old October 23, 2004, 12:55 PM   #3
Tom2

Uberti Remington

I have a Remington from Uberti. Have to say that it is the best production model from a finish standpoint, but I refitted and refinished the grips to look better. Don't necessarily care for the dovetailed in bases for the sight and the loading lever catch. Pietta makes one Remington for target work that is above the standards of their regular models, but the cost reflects it. BP revolvers vary in quality of finish so much from gun to gun that I like to see the actual gun myself before commiting. Same maker gun might have poorly fit grip frame and the next perfect. All brands apply, even 2nd. gen Colts.
Old October 24, 2004, 02:45 PM   #4
mec

The current Ubertis are very well made and can be had in the low 200 dollar range. Pietta seems to have installed CNC machinery and recent issue may have improved.
Old October 24, 2004, 09:37 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I prefer Ubertis over other makes (if foreign).
Old October 29, 2004, 06:09 PM   #6
Gunsmith4570

Inexpensive BP Revolver

At the present time I have two a cabelas 1851 steel frame navy colt .36 and a cabelas remmington New Police .36 (I the 36's) Personally I like both and would not give up either. I like the quickness of the remmington and the way it handles, and everyone will tell you about the handling of the '51 navy. On the other hand for long range (75yards plus) I use the navy instead of the solid frame remmington, for what ever reason, I shoot more accurately with the navy (been using one since I was 18 that might have something to do with it) but I still will not take for either of them.