The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Mousegun in your pocket or 38 Special snub on your ankle?
.32 or smaller mousegun in your pocket 65 73.03%
38 Special snub using ankle carry 24 26.97%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 22, 2013, 09:09 PM   #51
TxFlyFish

Any suggestions on how to balance your stride (and avoid walking around in a circle)? do you strap on an equal weight on the other ankle?
Old February 25, 2013, 07:38 PM   #52
.40cal

Voted for the pocket...I have never liked the idea of having to draw from the ankle. That being said, I carry a charter arms off duty 38 special in my front pocket or in my waistband, depending on how I'm dressed.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:45 AM   #53
SHE3PDOG

Voted for the pocket, but I agree with others that have said that there is no need to restrict a pocket gun to very small calibers. There are even 9mm hand guns that are made in pocket size.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 26, 2013, 01:22 AM   #54
TennJed

Not a fan of ankle carry
Old February 26, 2013, 08:38 AM   #55
dakiwi13

db9

i carry a db9 every day inside a versacarry holster
Old February 26, 2013, 12:46 PM   #56
Pianoguy

Pocket carry. Ankle carry only for a BUG for very deep concealment not for a gun you may need to use in a hurry. Ankle carry may look good in a movie but seems pretty useless for most applications. Why would you want to do all that bending and reaching, let alone getting the pants out of the way to get to gun that you supposedly have to save your life?

And it doesn't make any difference what caliber, etc. If you need a gun it has to in your hand first - potential is meaningless.
Old February 26, 2013, 04:15 PM   #57
Noreaster

Which ever you feel more comfortable with. I can't stand pocket carrying anything, but that's just me. I'm very proficient with ankle carry. Other then an up close mugger, ankle holster is just fine. In fact for motor vehicle carry ie car jacking scenario the ankle, (I carry on inside of left leg,) is much faster and you don't need to unbuckle. Of course in the summer wearing cargo shorts the ankle carry seems to stick out. LOL!
Old February 26, 2013, 04:29 PM   #58
mrt949

When I was a younger slimmer faster model.
I prefered ankle.
Now older and rounder pocket or iwb.
Old February 26, 2013, 04:30 PM   #59
Grant D

I used to ankle carry my LCP,but since I put the Hogue grip on it it won't fit in the ankle holster any more.
Now I carry it in my back pocket, and a Model 37 in a OWB holster.

But when I ankle carried, I always had another handgun in a OWB, or IWB holster.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:57 PM   #60
CADILLAC HOOSIER

I have a kel tec p32, p3at, and a beretta tomcat 32 and all work great with a Desantis or Uncle Mikes pocket holster. I also have a Taurus 85UL and carry it quite well with an Uncle Mike's Pocket holster. Never have been able to get into ankle gear. Load safe, shoot safe, HOOSIER
Old February 26, 2013, 08:42 PM   #61
jad0110

Though I prefer snubs, I voted for 32 mouse gun in the pocket because I really don't care for ankle carry. Maybe if I spent most of the day sitting down, or if it was a BUG. But the deal breaker for me is with my lower back issues I can't imagine hanging a weight one ankle helping matters.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:47 PM   #62
m&p45acp10+1

One of the reasons I avoid ankle carry is the fact that it is extra weight. I spend a lot of time on my feet walking. The last thing I want is extra weight on ankle. Also I have tendonitis in both knees. Extra weight added to my ankle means extra pain added to my knees.

Also it gets hot here for much of the year. I own twice as many pairs of shorts as I do jeans. My attire when not working when the weather is that nice also involves sandals. In this state we have two seasons. Summer, and winter. Some days you can experience both within the same hour.
Old February 27, 2013, 11:28 PM   #63
Maxx

Nothing about ankle carry appeals to me..

My easy summer carry setup is a 38 snubby in a FIST kydex pocket holster.
Old February 28, 2013, 07:41 PM   #64
horselips

For 25 years I have carried a NAA Mini Revolver, .22magnum, 1 5/8" barrel, in my front pants pocket. It fits into a nicely rectangular single magazine holster. Draws easilly without snagging, doesn't 'print.' So light and small it goes with everything, I never leave home without it. Ankle holsters are 'incorrect' with shorts.