The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 14, 2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Deja vu

is it safe to use an ultra sonic cleaner on an Suppressor?

I have recently filled out the paper work and submitted it to the feds for my first suppressor. I am told it will be August or September before I can pick up my suppressor .

While I have shot a few suppressed guns they where all 22lrs and could be taken apart. The suppressor I ordered is for a 45/70 (my hunting rifle... decided I don't want to go deaf hunting and yes its legal to hunt game animals in Idaho with a suppressor) and the can is not able to be taken apart.

I was measuring my ultrasonic cleaner I use for my brass and I think the suppressor will fit. Is this a good idea or a bad idea to try this? I know the cleaner does well cleaning the inside of brass. The Can is made of stainless steal (figured the extra weight will help with recoil as well)

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 14, 2012, 09:51 AM   #2
fadetoblack172

I dont have a suppressor but i have cleaned stainless steel gun parts in my cleaner, i use the hornady gun parts cleaner and everything cleans up really nice.
Old February 14, 2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

I have been told not to use an ultrasonic cleaner on a aluminum can. Never heard anything about a steel can.
Old February 15, 2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Skans

Don't you have to use a water-based solution in an ultrasonic cleaner? If we're talking about a sealed can, I'd have concerns about rust and corrosion if I can't get it 100% dry. Although, maybe if its alcohol based, it wouldn't be a problem - I know folks who use hand sanitizer to wet their cans - something like 98% alcohol and it works good too.

Just curious - are there any advantages to having a sealed can? I don't have one, but if I did, it'd kill me not to be able to take it apart and clean it.
Old February 15, 2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Deja vu

from what I have heard a sealed can is more quiet. I dont know it its just hype or not.

It is all so the only can I can find that the makers will guarante on both my 45-70 and on a 458 Lott (Ruger #1)

Most of the Cans for a 458 Socom are not built to handle the pressure of a 45/70 Govt much less a 458 Lott.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 15, 2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Lurch37

I have used my ultrasonic cleaner a few times on my suppresor and it works great for getting the crud off. That being said it is a .22lr caliber model, and it comes apart. While I have no doubts an ultrasonic would clean yours like it does mine, I would be concerned about getting the crud out of a sealed "can". On another note, I don't know how a rifle caliber can compares to a .22lr can in terms of how dirty it gets.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Willie Lowman

Whose can are you using on a .458 Lott? What model? I have seen a .338 suppressor and a .50 BMG but never one for a .458. Did you have it custom made?
Old February 16, 2012, 09:51 AM   #8
rjrivero

Simply ask the suppressor manufacturer. In general, stainless steel suppressors are perfectly fine for ultrasonic cleaning. You're not going to hurt them at all by putting them in the ultrasonic cleaner. You're really gonna have to rinse it out well, because of all the crap that gets trapped in the baffle system.

For the most part, rifle suppressors really don't need to be cleaned. But I understand the desire to do so.

Also, look into "The Dip" used for automotive parts. Works well on carbon and other deposits. I wouldn't use it in an ultrasonic cleaner, however. That stuff stinks as well.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Deja vu

Quote:
Whose can are you using on a .458 Lott? What model? I have seen a .338 suppressor and a .50 BMG but never one for a .458. Did you have it custom made?
It is a custom can. It is done by AWC (I am a bit worried because I have a read some bad stuff) it is basically it is there 50 caliber can but build with 458 caliber parts.

I wish I could find someone who would make a can (that works well with a hot loaded 45/70 and 458 Lott) that I can take apart for less than $2000.00 I am not picky about size or weight. I would literally be good with a can 3 foot long and 6 inch in diameter.

one of the problems is that the 45/70 is a lever action and I dont want to loose more than 1 round of capasity so you are limmited to 1 inch with out loss or 3 inches with a loss of 1 round. Most out fits want to have the suppressor over lap the barrel like 4 to 6 inches.

Last edited by Deja vu; February 17, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old April 5, 2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Barber2678

Check out Thunder Beast Arms. They make high quality, super accurate cans but I don't know if they make any that are not sealed. They came by our booth at SHOT his year (Wild West Guns) and we had a conversation about doing some for our .457 Wild West Magnum leverguns. They can even do an offset can so you can still use factory iron sights.
Old April 20, 2012, 06:02 PM   #11
myshoulderissore

Hmm, for some reason I thought suppressors were banned for hunting here... I looked it up, I thought wrong! How cool is that???

Congrats on your can, hoping all goes well with it!