The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 19, 2011, 09:55 AM   #1
MWright936

Mossberg 590A1 Slide Release

My wife just gave me my Christmas present early; a Mossberg 590A1 9-shot with adjustable tactical stock, tri-rail forend and ghost ring sites. Yes my wife is amazing!

Ok, I absolutely love this shotgun even though I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. My only complaint so far is the slide release. I am right-handed and it either takes me torquing my wrist or changing the position of the gun for me to press it. Even when I do press it, the design of it isn't very comfortable to press. I've searched around online for at attachment, accessory or modification for the slide release to make it a wider surface to press, thus making it easier. No luck.

Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about and/or feel my pain? If so, is there a solution out there? Whether it be an add-on or simply a different method of working it that wouldn't be so awkward? Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt
Old December 19, 2011, 10:28 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

That is the crux of the sit-chee-a-shun... the tactical stock not only doesn't lends well to shotgun use, it is usually going to interfere with controls functions.

Same with the safety on your new, fine shootin' iron.

Put a traditional, black synthetic still looks mean enuff, stock design and see all your woes vanish...

Play the "tactical" game to the fullest... sell that stock for a premium and you will have enuff cash for a few hundred rounds of practice ammo left over after you buy a regular "el' cheapo" "elmer fudd" style stock...

Brent
Old December 19, 2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Lee Lapin

ETA- Brent types faster than I do

adjustable tactical stock

Umm hmmm.

A pistol grip adjustable tacktickle stock, right?

If so, that would be your problem right there.

Along with having to break your firing grip to get your thumb up to the "more advantageously placed Mossberg top tang safety (TM)."

Mossberg actions were designed with conventional style shotgun stocks in mind, not pistol grips of any kind. And with a conventional design shotgun stock in place, by george, all those claimed Mossberg advantages of control placement, both action release and safety, are actually easily available to the user.

With a pistol grip stock of any kind ... not so much. Sorry 'bout that.

And as far as I know, there is no extended action release available for Mossbergs, but give it time... eventually someone will no doubt come up with one, as many pistol grip stocks of various kinds that Mossberg is turning out these days.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old December 19, 2011, 12:11 PM   #4
redstategunnut

Quote:
That is the crux of the sit-chee-a-shun... the tactical stock not only doesn't lends well to shotgun use, it is usually going to interfere with controls functions.

Same with the safety on your new, fine shootin' iron.

Put a traditional, black synthetic still looks mean enuff, stock design and see all your woes vanish...

Play the "tactical" game to the fullest... sell that stock for a premium and you will have enuff cash for a few hundred rounds of practice ammo left over after you buy a regular "el' cheapo" "elmer fudd" style stock...
For the win.
Old December 21, 2011, 07:13 PM   #5
ws6_keith

With the "broomstick" style, standard stock, it's quite easy to get to with your right middle finger behind the trigger guard.
Old December 21, 2011, 09:47 PM   #6
MikeGunz

Congrats on your 590

When I rack the first shell I'm usually carrying the shotgun in the tactical carry so I just use my thumb so that's not really an issue for me. And I guess if you were in a life or death hurry you could just pull the trigger then rack a shell in. As for the safety.. yeah pistol grips are better suited for a 870. Just gotta find something that works for you and practice it.

Heres my clay / tin can killer!

Old January 4, 2012, 07:50 PM   #7
MWright936

Thanks for all the responses! I really like my pistol grip, so I think I'll just adapt. Maybe someone will come out with something one of these days to make it a little easier.

To make things quick in a life or death situation, I took the advice of a retired cop that wrote how he leaves his shotgun. I took it off safety (unloaded of course), pulled the trigger, then loaded the clip. This way, the only thing needed to fire the gun is to rack the slide and pull the trigger. I don't have kids, for those that may be worried about that.

Thanks again!
Old January 4, 2012, 10:29 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yer shottie ain't got no clip but it does have a magazine or mag tube but many just call it the tube...

Brent
Old January 5, 2012, 09:18 AM   #9
MWright936

....you know what I meant

I attached a photo of my toy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 384082_924981078728_38701700_39393980_751314281_n.jpg (174.0 KB, 70 views)
Old January 6, 2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Venom1956

Personally I would just leave one in the tube and load it 9 up... You never know whats gonna happen you could short stroke it or have a FTF now you have a oddly shaped metal club... kinda like carrying with an empty chamber... whats the point? Why are you uncomfortable with having it loaded and the safety on?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 6, 2012, 01:21 PM   #11
MWright936

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess the main reason I have it set like that is I get the intimidating rack of the slide before I have to pull the trigger. Of course, if someone is already in the house, I don't necessarily want them to have the oppportunity to hear me first... but if they are scared off by hearing me chamber a round, it's always better not to actually shoot someone if you don't have to. I guess both have their good points and their bad.