The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 16, 2010, 08:05 PM   #1
gaseousclay

laser bore sighter

can any of you recommend a decent quality laser bore sighter? cheaper would be better but quality matters too, so not too cheap. are the Bushnell laser bore sighters any good?
Old October 16, 2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Onward Allusion

I have a Bushnell Laser bore sighter and it works fine for pistol. The problem with bore sighting rifles with a laser bore sighter is that you will need a long enough range to properly sight it. You are better off using an optical bore sighter with the expanding spuds or one held by magnet.
Old October 27, 2010, 07:12 AM   #3
DANNY-L

I have the aim point catridge laser,comes with the 223 laser then you buy the catridge size needed, it fits over the 223 laser and slide it into your chamber. Works best at dusk and dawn. Directions says to close the bolt but I dont because I'm afraid it will get really stuck,I just slide it into the chamber firm but I still need a cleaning rod to push it out. I tune in from 25-100yds and it will put me at an inch or less on target.
Old October 27, 2010, 08:49 AM   #4
gaseousclay

Quote:
I have the aim point catridge laser,comes with the 223 laser then you buy the catridge size needed, it fits over the 223 laser and slide it into your chamber. Works best at dusk and dawn. Directions says to close the bolt but I dont because I'm afraid it will get really stuck,I just slide it into the chamber firm but I still need a cleaning rod to push it out. I tune in from 25-100yds and it will put me at an inch or less on target.
the problem I have with these particular bore sighters is that the batteries seem to run out pretty fast. practically every review i've read for this type of laser sighter was negative.
Old October 28, 2010, 04:47 PM   #5
ejhc11

Bushnell Laser Bore Sighter

I have this one - it works well to get you on paper. Its bright enough in the daytime to 25yds and 50yds at lowlight which I recommend to do your sight. No, it won't do everything but you can fine tune it at the actual range shooting.

I recommend a sturdy rest to keep the rifle stable while checking the scope with the laser.

They are at a low price here:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=282687

Another user said the batteries don't last long but I had mine over a year in a half and the batteries are still good but of course your not sighting a rifle everyday...
Old October 28, 2010, 07:44 PM   #6
rodent.22

I have the Laserlyte bore sight from Wal/Mart. $39.95. I've sighted in numerous guns with this sight, it's done a GREAT job. Fits .22 to .50 caliber. Battery life is very good, I'm on my 1st set of replacement batteries - (LR44,AG13 ,or A76 batteries. Three required. It will run for better than an hour before battery replacement is required. About $2.00 to replace. It will do iron sights, red dot scopes or regular crosshair scopes.