The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 2010, 11:28 PM   #1
johnmcgowan

Winchester Ranger Auto 12 Ga. question

Hi, Im a new member and first time poster with a question please. I cant seem to find any info except for the Ranger pump shotgun.
I just bought a used Winchester Ranger 12 ga auto in 2 and 3/4" chamber.
I would like any info you could provide me for this gun please. It has a modified choke barrel with vent rib. Ive just spent about 2 hrs cleaning the gun up as it had some surface rust on a couple places on the barrel and the inside of the receiver was pretty nasty as well. Its CLEAN NOW!!
I think the barrel length is 28 inches- I havent measured it yet.
Will this gun only hold a total of 3 rounds?
Any way to make it accept 5 rounds?

Would it be advisable to have choke tubes installed on this gun? If so, about what kind of cost would I be expecting to pay for this?

Any problems known to follow this gun?

Lastly,.. just a rough guestimate on the value of this gun? After Ive cleaned it up , I would rate it an 8 out of 10.
Thanks very much!!
John Mc
Old January 20, 2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Probably a 1400. Decent quality, but no X1. The techies at Brownell's, if no member here chips in, can tell you about problems,

Orlen or Briley will charge between $100 and $200 for threading and a set of choke tubes. Whether it's worth it is up to you.

If you like the gun and it shoots well for you, probably worth it.

I have never owned one, but there may be a plug in the mag tube limiting it to two shells.
Old January 20, 2010, 11:22 PM   #3
johnmcgowan

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply . I did a little research and Im "thinking" its a model 140. Doesnt sound like a top of the line Cadillac to me, but I got it at a decent price I think .
Nope, there is no plug in the tube. I had it all apart last night cleaning the gun and in the length of two shells that goes in the mag, right past that length there is a factory crimp on both sides of the tube so more shells cant be loaded ( it looks like to me anyway). But no plug. Anyone know of the magazine could be swapped out to expand it so it will hold more shells?
Its no biggie, Im basically going to use the gun for crow popping and maybe some deer hunting...if its shoots good that is. I'll find that out this weekend when I go crow hunting.
Thanks,
John
Old January 21, 2010, 03:59 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

A photo would help

HJN