The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

View Poll Results: Your favorite type of sight is?
Aimpoint 1 8.33%
Trijicon Reflex 2 16.67%
Trijicon ACOG 7 58.33%
Iron sights 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 10, 2002, 02:03 AM   #1
imadork

Trijicon Reflex: triangle or dot?

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both the triangle and dot reticle and which you prefer-- I have a M1A that I plan to put a Reflex II on, the only remaining question is which reticle to get. Dot, triangle, chevron? Any opinions?
Old September 10, 2002, 03:28 AM   #2
4570Rick

I have used them all and if you must use a reflex ACOG is the best. Ugly profile but exelentquality.

I think of reflex sights as something for an entry weapon though, not a rifle like an M1A.
Old September 10, 2002, 05:20 AM   #3
KPS

I have to agree that it doesn't seem practical to put one on an M1.They are more of a CQB site.
Old September 10, 2002, 03:44 PM   #4
imadork

The ACOG is another option I'm considering. I figure 3.5x and calibrated for 7.62mm is perfect. I don't intend to use mine as a sniper rifle, and the iron sights are great but I think something a little more quick in acquisition would work.
Old September 10, 2002, 05:18 PM   #5
HKguy9

Quote:
The ACOG is another option I'm considering. I figure 3.5x and calibrated for 7.62mm is perfect. I don't intend to use mine as a sniper rifle, and the iron sights are great but I think something a little more quick in acquisition would work.
I have been losing sleep over the same thing for months.

1. Have you found a mounting solution??? I tried looking for one, but the damn thing would be way too high.

2. Trijicon is the King of Crappy Eye Relief. Cool scopes, but how the heck am I gonna get my cheek that close to it??? If reverse cantilever scope mounts exist (throwing the scope a few inches back) someone please let me know!!

3. How high do cheekpads get?? Cuz this one is gonna have to be HIGH.

I seriously thought about getting a BAC doughnut 3.5x .308 for my M1A, but for the life of me can't figure out how to get it functional.

Having a second M1A set up with the 5.5x beefy ACOG as a quasi sniper rifle and one as a set up with a Trijicon Tripower quasi-CQB rifle would be fun.

Does anyone have pictures of scoped M1As?
Old September 10, 2002, 09:06 PM   #6
imadork

I'm looking at the Fulton Armory ARMS mount. They said that it's low enough to still use the iron sights when the throw lever base is not on it, so I figure a Reflex sight will work at least. I'm not sure what the eye relief on the ACOG is though, it might not be practical.
Old September 10, 2002, 09:37 PM   #7
HKguy9

Fulton Armory makes the ARMS?

I think red dot style scopes i.e. the infinite eye relief scopes work well with the M14s, at least it seems a lot of people have them set up that way....let me know how it works I am curious
Old September 10, 2002, 10:37 PM   #8
imadork

Old September 11, 2002, 01:43 PM   #9
imadork

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in Trijicon products. Due to the eye relief of our ACOG scopes, they will not perform well in the forward mounting position of the Springfield M1A. You may want to take a look at our Reflex gunsights, which offer unrestricted eye relief and a dual-illuminated aiming reticle.

I'd be happy to send you our full catalog with more details on the Reflex Gunsight, please reply with an address to which you'd like this information
packet sent.

Carrie Lettieri
Customer Service
[email protected]
1-800-338-0563
Old September 11, 2002, 02:12 PM   #10
HKguy9

Quote:
Due to the eye relief of our ACOG scopes, they will not perform well in the forward mounting position of the Springfield M1A.
I have a Scout but planned on putting it on the mount above the receiver. Did you ask about the Scout model, not sure if 'forward mounting position' implies that the receiver is too far forward, or if people were asking about putting the ACOG on the Scout position

Thanks for the update, dork
Old September 11, 2002, 09:25 PM   #11
imadork

I asked about a standard mount, I'm assuming they mean that even this position is too far forward for an ACOG. It makes sense, as it appears one would have to put one's eye where the standard rear sight is to get the right eye relief for the ACOG. If an extra long Weaver mount ("reverse cantilever?") were available, I would consider putting that on and using an ACOG though. Looks like the Reflex II for me!
Old September 11, 2002, 10:06 PM   #12
HKguy9

you'readork, why not wait for the Tripower?
Old September 11, 2002, 10:55 PM   #13
imadork

[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]! That looks perfect, thanks.