The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 26, 2018, 03:34 PM   #1
lamarw

59 Years Ago, Model 10 (no dash)

On this date 59 years ago, the S&W Factory Shipping Department sent this one out the door headed to Teague Hardware Co. in Montgomery, Alabama. The property or rack number of 174 and the back strap with the Montgomery Police Dept. nomenclature were stamped at S&W per their records.

It is a model 10 (no dash) with a 2" barrel. The serial number is also stamped on the underside of the right stock. It has a twin with the property or rack number of 173 in the same shipment. I wish I knew where it was located.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59years1.jpg (108.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 59years2.jpg (111.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 59years3.jpg (126.4 KB, 98 views)
Old August 26, 2018, 07:55 PM   #2
Leaf

Thank you for rekindling fond memories. Looks like a fun just for the hell of it revolver. I remember having to train with much later dated 6" Smith and Wesson model 10's for a police academy.

On the other hand, can you imagine being issued a model 10 as your service revolver? Now that is a frightening thought by today's standards. I want fifteen rounds of 9 mm minimum for a guy with a knife!
Old August 27, 2018, 07:02 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ooohhhh...

Square butt snub nose! I have NO clue why I like that combination, but I do...

You just buy it?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 28, 2018, 10:25 PM   #4
SaxonPig

I bought a 2" square butt Model 10-5 from a pawn shop for $150 about 20 years ago. About 13 years ago my wife had it dressed up for me some. She also threw in a fancy leather rig. I added the ivories as a finishing touch.

Old August 29, 2018, 07:59 AM   #5
bedbugbilly

PD markings? Are those doughnut crumbs I see on the grips? :-)

Awesome revolver . . . would be nice to have the history of who it was issued to and who carried it. A beautiful piece - thanks for the pics of it!

There's nothing like a K frame IMHO.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 29, 2018, 09:53 AM   #6
lamarw

SaxonPig, That is a collection of Art pieces and truly beautiful all the way around. It looks to me to be a combination of good taste. Then there is the valuable buckle to that fine leather. All I can say is Wow.

bedbugbilly, I tried to get the crumbs off, but the icing was really stuck into the checkering on the grips. I would love to hear more about its past, but it is rather doubtful any of the officers who were issued it are still with us. You would not of been a young officer carrying it in the early 1960's or later.

I am happy it appeals to Leaf and Mike Irvin. I ended up with it at auction for what I though was a reasonable price of four hundred bucks. I like the provenance since I lived in or near Montgomery for many years of my life.
Old August 30, 2018, 02:47 PM   #7
mkl

I bought one new in 1970 for $75.00. Still have it. Interesting thing though is that is has a five-inch barrel. I've been told that the five-inch Model 10's were not too common.

Anyone know if this it true or not?
Old September 1, 2018, 08:01 AM   #8
rep1954

Quote:
Are those doughnut crumbs I see on the grips?
I yearn for the days when a law officer had time to stop and get a cup of coffee and a doughnut.
Old September 1, 2018, 11:06 AM   #9
lamarw

rep1954, I have never been in law enforcement but I will add and "Amen" to your comment. I also suspect they yearn for the day of a partner in the car or on a beat with them.
Old September 1, 2018, 11:59 AM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

SaxonPig - close up shots of both sides please?